IGNORED

Whites only Christian conference

gustava

Gahhhhh. &!$%*

me, too. But I must say that I'm not shocked.

Is it me, or does there seem to be a resurgence in this sort of thing? The KKK wanted to adopt a section of highway in the North Georgia mountains not long ago...

Is it just me or is racsim, along with misogyny, becoming more comman and blatant

I agree. It's sickening.

"We are not breaking any laws, we are not violating any ordinances, we are bringing the word of God to people who want it ... who are part of the chosen race," he told the news outlet.

I have no words. (bolding mine)

"We don't have the facilities to accommodate other people. We haven't got any invitations to black, Muslim events. Of course we are not invited to Jewish events and stuff."

I... don't even...

The three-day conference will conclude on July 6 with a cross burning, which organizers are calling a "Sacred Christian Cross Lighting Ceremony." The flyer makes explicit that the event is for whites only.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Can anyone explain to me how Christians can burn a cross without it being considered blasphemy?

My Pagan self is very confused

They're not doing any harm; people! They're just trying to create a white Christian dystopia that opresses others in America's future behind closed doors! How is that a 'hate crime?' * :roll: * /sarcasm

I think that this country started to slid more to the right after 9-11. Segments of our population have become very afraid of 'others' and change.

Fox news is very guilty of manipulating this fear too. I don't think that anyone can leave Fox news out of the equation as to why we are sliding further to the right. Yes, the media is a mirror but I think that Fox is also purposely manipulating people's fear and increasing it. Have you ever tried to sit through a Fox program? Lots of scare tactics, yelling and blonde women in short skirts. Apparently, they make their money off America being afraid and divided.

It's just a straight-up Klan rally. They've used the church thing before many times. One of the biggest Klan events in the country for many years was always billed as a "White Christian Heritage Festival".

Must be a bunch of kinists.

Christian Identity. Similar, but worse. Kinists believe that interracial marriage and worship together is wrong but that people of all races can be saved and should be Christians. Christian Identity teaches that only whites can be saved, that whites are the true people of Israel and Jews are the seed of Satan (literally or metaphorically, depending on which division you follow). It's what Aryan Nations taught before they fell apart but many of the groups out there now are more extreme in their beliefs than AN was.

Yep, that really makes me want to be a Christian as a person of mixed race.

I mean....really? Did we take a step back into the goddamn 1950s?

What is this I don't even.

I love living in the south. I do. But people like this make me want to move.

I SWEAR we are not all ignorant racist assholes.

It's just a straight-up Klan rally. They've used the church thing before many times. One of the biggest Klan events in the country for many years was always billed as a "White Christian Heritage Festival".

Christian Identity. Similar, but worse. Kinists believe that interracial marriage and worship together is wrong but that people of all races can be saved and should be Christians. Christian Identity teaches that only whites can be saved, that whites are the true people of Israel and Jews are the seed of Satan (literally or metaphorically, depending on which division you follow). It's what Aryan Nations taught before they fell apart but many of the groups out there now are more extreme in their beliefs than AN was.

I don't understand why these people fail to notice that Jesus was born in the Middle East, and as such, was in all likelihood BROWN. He wasn't born in Germany, or Finland, or Norway. He wasn't all Scandinavian blonde hair and blue eyes. The cognitive dissonance frankly astounds me.

What is this I don't even.

I love living in the south. I do. But people like this make me want to move.

I SWEAR we are not all ignorant racist assholes.

Some of the biggest white supremacist militia groups aren't in the Southern US, but in the Northwestern US and Michigan.

You know the duggers would love this if they could get away with it.

Well, the Batses would, anyway.

Eh, racist tools always pop up every now and then, make a big show...then almost invariably (thankfully) next to nobody shows up and the PR they were hoping to generate doesn't pan out.

I'm not shocked someone tried to put up an event like this; I will however be shocked if it's well attended.

Anyways, to follow up on what Alecto was saying: The South still has serious problems with racism. However, the region does have some important things going for it. For one---barring the odd apologist---it is at largely open towards discussing, addressing, and owning racial issues. In other parts of the country, there's often a dangerous tendency to act like slavery, civil rights abuses, and modern racism were/are uniquely Southern problems. I firmly believe this makes people less alert to the growth of hate groups in non-Southern communities, as well as more susceptible to flat out turning a blind eye until it's too late. ('Hate group? What are you talking about? I live in Michigan, hate groups are a Southern problem!').

Just as importantly, the sheer number of non-white people living in the region makes it difficult to dehumanize people unless you live in a very segregated area. Alabama is roughly 68% white and 26% black, for example. In comparison Montana is 89% white and 0.4 black, making it far less likely you'll have a meaningful relationship with an AA or other minority, and far easier to 'otherize.' These and other issues have lead to an increasing growth of hate groups in places we don't commonly associate with these problems.

The Southern Poverty Law center maintains an interactive map where you can track where hate groups are locate, it's very interesting if you haven't check it out before: http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/hate-map

There are rumors of a counter protest involving hot dogs, marshmallows and complete mockery of the cross burning... and I really hope they are true.

Archived