IGNORED

The Fatuous Four - Brandy, Candy, Anna and Stephanie

The Archivist

Completely OT - You have changed your avatar and now my world is spinning out of control. Maybe in a week I will recognize you again. :P

I was afraid this would happen. ;)

I think all prospective literal Bible believers should be made to read Candy's ramblings. That would make anyone think twice.

I agree. She's a great example of a bible literalist, because I don't think she genuinely can think in metaphorical terms (she has said so herself in the past.) And her literalism has led her down a chasm of unmitigated crazy, so...

I used to lurk in a conspiracy theory forum. (don't laugh!) It always surprised me how most conspiracy theories, sooner or later, would involve some kind of Christian theology, even if the person spouting them wasn't specifically Christian.

I've always understood that isn't the tobacco itself that is bad but all the additives the tobacco companies put in their products. As for all the positives she writes about tobacco I can't comment, I have no clue if they are true. And I'm not about to take up smoking raw tobacco.

I used to lurk in a conspiracy theory forum. (don't laugh!) It always surprised me how most conspiracy theories, sooner or later, would involve some kind of Christian theology, even if the person spouting them wasn't specifically Christian.

I used to work nights, and had a half hour drive home so I became addicted to Coast to Coast on a local AM station. That is some quality crazy. But it was true how often the ideas brought up either by the guest or by a random caller became a mishmash of Christian thought and conspiracy or the paranormal. It's like a chicken and egg thing, what starts first kind of thing. Did they embrace fringe Christian ideas or the crazy ideas first? What was the trigger that made them slide down the slippery slope of mushing those ideas together?

I used to work nights, and had a half hour drive home so I became addicted to Coast to Coast on a local AM station. That is some quality crazy. But it was true how often the ideas brought up either by the guest or by a random caller became a mishmash of Christian thought and conspiracy or the paranormal. It's like a chicken and egg thing, what starts first kind of thing. Did they embrace fringe Christian ideas or the crazy ideas first? What was the trigger that made them slide down the slippery slope of mushing those ideas together?

Oh boy, Coast to Coast. :lol:

I think New Age thinking/conspiracy theories are really just Christianity with Aliens or whatever subbed for Jesus.

Me too! Only I had an hour's drive home, across a desolate North Dakota reservation. You want to really hone that crazy, listening to it in the pitch dark with only a random deer or buffalo for company is THE way to listen to it. I used to get home at 3:00 am and sometimes would have frightened myself so much with the call in people that sleep wasn't possible.

I had the same experience, Sumeri, but I was driving home from the FedEx Hub in the wild streets of Memphis. And Glenn Beck was doing his first show about that same era, when he was playing all the characters. I listened on may way TO work. I knew it was fake, but I thought often that he should STFU because, um, this was air in ARKANSAS and some people would believe it!

I've always understood that isn't the tobacco itself that is bad but all the additives the tobacco companies put in their products. As for all the positives she writes about tobacco I can't comment, I have no clue if they are true. And I'm not about to take up smoking raw tobacco.

Nope, tobacco chewers get mouth cancer. It just isn't good for us.

ETA: if you rearrange their names, the first initials spell SCAB.

Coast to Coast, oh man I loved that show. It never failed to get me to LOL. That was a whole new universe of cray-cray. Besides the mish mash of Christianity/conspiracy, you would usually find that the vsrious conspiracies themselves would inter-twine. For examples, it was really Reptilian Overlords within the Bilderbergs that ordered the execution of Kennedy and participated in the subsequent cover up. I love how total leaps....not to mention collapse....of logic is involved.

Omfg festivus came early because i had no clue stephanie is blogging again. She is my favorite fundie, she was my first faux jew.

Okay, noobie here and not even a huge Duggar viewer (though what I've seen is plenty creepy), but Stephanie and particularly, Candy are verrrrry scary ladies!

I'll agree that Stephanie just seems almost like Tasha Tudor, living off the land, etc---until her blathering about tobacco started. I especially enjoyed the justification along the lines that since it was base of our founding fathers' economy, so it obviously rocks! Um, Steph???? So was slavery. Actually, the bible was cool with slavery, too----wonder how she reconciles herself with that!

But onto the very fabulous Candy: when I was first reading quotes about her smug, preachy lifestyle and endless "homekeeping" babbling, I truly envisioned something along the lines of that Arthelene Ripley (???) lady that Joel McHale always snarks on. Au contraire, Miss Candy looks around 30 (hard to tell, but youngish).

I also love how here's someone endlessly yapping about cleanliness and perfect homekeeping, yet her home's decor is something along the lines of hippie frat house. I realize she needs to be grateful to Jesus and her husband for her "castle" (note that, too--not "cottage", not "humble corner of bliss"----castle. I think Candy's much more bourgeois than she'd like to admit to), but still Candy, sure you can find time to cover your old mismatched couches or whittle curtain rods or something.

Also just mind blowing is her video of her typical day. I was almost brought to tears from the boredom of watching her detailed laundry doing-----and I'm probably the dullest person on the planet (hey, I'm writing this, aren't I?). At the end of the most boring video ever, she yips about how she loves her husband and after dinner they'll "maybe play in the yard with the kids or go somewhere fun". Since Candy seems to think doing her laundy and putting a bandana on her head is a rocking good time, I'm simply a quiver to hear where somewhere fun might be----maybe Aldis???

Bits and pieces of wordly yearnings/lapses come out surprisingly overtly. Her daughter's room looks to have a Disney Princess blanket in it. Not only is Disney pretty secular, wordly and materialistic, but some of those girls actually have opinions in their movies, now. Plus I've heard Disney employs the Gays.

Better is Candy's reading list---I was surprised by her affinity for Jane Austen. Granted Candy's fave is Mansfield Park in which a shy, retiring goody two shoes irritatingly reforms her materialistic rich relatives and marries a clergyman, but it's still secular! Not to mention Pride and Prejuidice, in which the heroine basically spends the entire book telling every dude she sees to go fuck himself. Weirdest of all is The Great Gatsby. Hard to imagine Miss Candy relating to greed, fraud, heavy drinking (during prohibition, no less) and a great deal of adultery.

Now I know I shouldn't be shocked by hypocrisy, but Stephanie's husband selling video games? Aren't those all evil and such?

The way she talked about tobacco she could have just as easily been describing marijuana or opium. The God gave us dominion over all the plants bit.

(I figure you might really be interested in this, as a nurse...)

Tobacco in and of itself, before any additives, is incredibly toxic. Here is an abstract of a study about green tobacco sickness.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1763894/

More from the CDC-

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00020119.htm

In actuality, green tobacco sickness is poisoning that occurs in people who are harvesting tobacco and absorb substances from the tobacco through their skin. This can be severe enough, and happens frequently enough, that hospital emergency departments in Kentucky (and probably also other tobacco-producing states) gear up for an influx of cases during the tobacco harvest.

Anecdotally, I grew up hearing my father, who grew up on a small TN farm, tell stories of how terribly sick he always got when they were cutting the tobacco. He said he would get so sick he would vomit and have to go lie down at the side of the field.

Today, this illness frequently affects migrant workers that are hired to harvest the tobacco.

Archived