Welcome to all our new members!
Welcome to Free Jinger! We hope you enjoy your time here. Free Jinger (FJ) has a somewhat specific board culture when new members may not be used to from other forums. We have put together some tips to help new members integrate successfully into the community.
* Be sure to read our rules
* If you do not email us when people that live with you have accounts, you WILL be banned for being socks.
* We have an amazing set of FAQs (thank you @HerNameIsBuffy)
* Since history has taught us since most people don't read the rules, we do not allow hate speech here. That means we do not allow words like retard/retarded, fag/faggot, gay (used as a slur), the n-word, etc. We also don't allow symbols of hate in avatars or cover photos. This includes swastikas and confederate flags.
* Please read this post by Happy Atheist before you jump right into posting.
* We have a whole forum set up just to help new members get acquainted with Free Jinger. You will find it here. It's not mandatory, but you won't have to worry about being scolded by long term members for making mistakes if you post in that particular forum.
* Please take a moment to read this great post by Church_of_dog and this one too to help you avoid running afoul of our board culture.
* We have such a wonderful community here that people do things like write summaries on the families and organizations we talk about, maintain a blog list and maintain an FJ specific dictionary. We also have a handy acronym feature. Hover your mouse over acronyms that are underlined and you will be shown what they stand for.
* We also have subforums dedicated to the people we discuss.
* Please make your post readable. This means:
- Post in English only
- Don't use excessive formatting
- Remove formatting from pasted text
- Put animated images under a spoiler
- Put excessive (more than 2) images under a spoiler
- Snip quotes
- No text speak
- Mark links NSFW
- No NSFW images
* You need 75 posts to start new threads or read our Are You There FJ area. You can start new threads in the SOTDRT and a helpmeet will move it to the appropriate forum for you. If your post does need to be moved, please report your post with a note that it needs to be moved. We don't always catch those kinds of posts right away.
* Please keep the majority of your comments/snark based on the beliefs/ideology/philosophy of the people who you are speaking about. It is natural for a snark site to have some "bitch eating crackers" (BEC) type commentary and that is fine, but please make it the exception, not the rule.
*BEC =/= snark. If you don't understand the difference ask!
* Expect push back if you let your xenophobic, islamophobic, racist, homophobic, misogynist freak flag fly.
* Words have meaning on FJ. The majority of members are going to take what you say in the plain English meaning of the words you use. You will not be able to "baffle them with bullshit" here. Use "word salads," mainsplaining and your own definitions of words at your own risk.
* If you state something as a fact (rather than your opinion), you should expect that someone will ask you for sources to back up your claim. If you use crazy, biased sources you will likely receive mocking and push back. We do not allow links to hate sites (Stor*mfro*t, Brietbart, Infowars)
* We currently support tapatalk, however tapatalk does not fully support us. Please make sure your signature is turned off in your tapatalk settings. If you are having problems or wonkiness when using tapatalk, please make sure to check out tech support forum to see if your issue has already been addressed.
* We use post count titles. The first one is "You're Going to Hell." No one will be upset when seeing this title above your name. Just make 5 posts and you will get a new post count title.
* No one owes anyone an explanation for downvotes and they can be given for any reason, from serious disagreement to an avatar that doesn't amuse you. Don't ask about downvotes in the threads - that's not drift it's disruption. Also remember that people accidentally downvote when on mobile so if it happens and there is no other reason to believe your post is objectionable do everyone a favor and let it go.
* We heavily discourage 1-2 word/emoticon/emoji posts. We do not allow posts like "I agree" or similar variants at all. Please use the like button for those types of posts instead. We do realize that on occasion a very short post is used to make a point or a joke and that is fine. Please don't make these types of posts the majority of your contributions to discussions.
* When you post an article, particularly from a mainstream site, please don't copy/paste the entire article. Post the link and then a few bits that you feel are important and then let people go read the rest of the article themselves. it's not really very copyright friendly to post the whole article.
* If you find an article on a fundy site and you think they will delete the article and it may be useful to have the whole thing to refute them in the future (ie: Kendull's I "spanked" my kids all day post)., a screenshot is best in this case rather than a full copy/paste.
* When you post your article that you have found, please add a sentence or 2 of your own commentary so people know why you felt the article is worth their viewing time.
* When you start a thread, making your title relevant to the subject will get you more input and it helps reduce duplicate threads. Instead of saying just "This is crazy" say "Zsu believes Obama is a hologram. Crazy!" (not actually true... that I know of)
* Please scan the first couple pages of a forum before you post a new thread to make sure it's not a duplicate. If you do accidentally make a duplicate thread, just report your post and a helpmeet will be along to merge it with the original topic.
* If you post "insider" information, we may ask you to verify your identity to the admins. Any information you provide will be kept confidential.
* If you want to post about a controversial topic, please use the No Holds Barred (NHB) forum.
If you have any questions, comments or problems please feel free to PM a Helpmeet and they will be able to assist you.
Welcome to the community!
(Updated November 19, 2016)
- 35 replies
- 2,154 views
- 371 replies
- 48,121 views
By VaSportsMom, in Quiver Full of Duggars
- 582 replies
- 64,382 views
By Georgiana, in Quiver Full of Snark
- 512 replies
- 24,453 views
By VaSportsMom, in Quiver Full of Snark
- 493 replies
- 24,373 views
15 hours ago, chaotic life said:
Graduate Student loans are not based upon your credit score outside of certain disqualifers which can be appealed.
They are calculated based upon cost of attendance for grad (or professional) school plus cost of living. Cost of living can be calculated to account for a larger than standard family size or heavier dependence on the student as the primary wage earner.
I believe you that this is true, but dear Lord, no wonder we have a student loan mess. So irresponsible on the part of the lenders.
Chelsy announced her pregnancy. She’s 18 weeks along. Most fundies seem to announce around 12-14 weeks. I’m guessing she wanted to wait a few weeks so she wouldn’t steal her brothers’ thunder. So she was pregnant at the same time as her sisters in love (barf). I’m going to guess Bryan might be pregnant right now too but they are more private. So we might not find out about it for another month or two.
18 hours ago, sparklymagie said:
This absolutely floors me because it's the exact opposite of my experience. I went to a Tier 1 law school and paid full price, leaving school with 6 figure debt. There were almost no scholarships available to law students from 3rd parties or through the school I went to. I knew almost no one who got scholarship help. I graduated about 10 years ago. I wonder if the market for lawyers falling out forced schools to start ponying up.
I agree. I went to a Tier 1 school as well, some people got a small amount, but they still ended up with over 100k in debt, if they weren't supporting anyone else at the time. With 3 defendants there is no way he is getting through for less than 6 figures.
I started in 2008 (yay class of 2011, who apparently had the worst job prospects, its been fun). So if that matters that may be helpful. I was offered a full ride at a much lower ranked school. So that does happen. Its a tough choice between the higher ranked school and free. I wouldn't judge anyone who made a different choice than I did, or someone who accepted the debt. The school you go to and your ranking in it changes your career prospects, so depending what you want to do, chose wisely.
I don't think OfJill has ever really considered all the things you need to for this kind of choice, nor has he ever appeared to chose wisely.Edited by justoneoftwo
That video was something..."and helps" it certainly doesn't.
11 hours ago, EowynW said:
Okay so, how do I go about telling my dr that I think I have mild depression and asking for help? Is it acceptable to say "hey I think I need some help, I feel like I can't cope with anything right now and life stuff just feels HUGE at the moment. My throat is always tight, I cry atleast once a day and life has felt bland lately." Does that sound too stupid?
That's pretty much what I said to my doctor--and I will always be glad I did. I will be on anti-depressants the rest of my life. They don't make me happy, but they do help me cope with normal life stuff in a healthy way.
I'd like to encourage you to ask your doctor about signs that you are not handling a prescribed anti-depressant well--and even include your husband in that conversation. Also, make sure your husband has HIPPA permission to have a conversation about you with the doctor (unless you really don't trust him).
My son was one of the people who respond horribly to Zoloft. His depression worsened, he became nearly suicidal, and he made some stupid and bad choices that will have long-term consequences for him. It took a long while for me to persuade him that his medication wasn't working and to actually call the doctor.
When you're depressed, it can be overwhelming to recognize that there is a problem, to believe that things can be better, to feel like you're even worth your own effort, and so on. Part of my own on-going treatment means that my husband pays attention to changes in my mood, and he can talk directly with my doctor if I dismiss his concerns--because I trust my husband, and because I know that when I'm depressed, I can't reliably assess my own moods.