I'm overwhelmed, pregnancy stressed, can't quite process twins just yet. So I stress cooked comfort food in the middle of the night and will probably eat the rest in the morning. I forgot to take a photo.
1 tsp butter or cooking spray
6 eggs (one in reserve)
1 tbsp milk
1/4 C salsa (quemada, verde, rojo - personal choice)*
3 C tortilla chips, .5 c used in reserve
1/4 C sharp shredded cheddar or cojita blanca
Dash of cumin
Black pepper to taste
Optional: chopped onion and peppers, cooked to taste between steps 2 and 3
1) Heat pan at low-medium and melt butter. Once hot, half crush 2.5 cups tortilla chips in your hand and add to pan.
2) Once fragrant and crispy, about 2 min, add salsa and cover, let simmer for 5 minutes.
3). While salsa and tortilla chips are simmering beat 5 eggs with 1 tbsp milk and a dash of cumin, black pepper to taste and add to pan.
4) Add eggs to pan and mix with contents, cover to simmer for approximately 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5) Once the egg mixture begins to thicken and appears half cooked add cheese, switch heat to simmer, stir and recover for 10 to 15 minutes.
6) Taste and adjust seasoning. Add remaining egg, black pepper and increase heat to medium. When white of freshly cracked egg is begging to look cooked add remaining 1/2 tortilla chips and stir. Additional salsa if eggs look dry.
6) Serve immediately, paired with fresh fruit, beans, salsa, guacamole, extra cheese and tortilla options.
*Quemada is the dark brown salsa (also called burnt, roasted), it is my go to. Verde is green salsa, mild and cilantro based. Rojo is just whatever your preferred red salsa and spice level is, there’s a specific breakfast salsa where I’m at, but that’s probably not common.