IGNORED

Picture of Duggar and Bontrager daughters at ATi conference

lilith

I came across this pic on the Bontrager family blog and thought people may be interested.

The Bontrager blog is mainly about PR for their singing and pretty shots of kids, so not particularly snarkworthy, but they endorse ATI, Vision Forum, Above Rubies, the Pearls and all the usual suspects.

.bontragersingers.blogspot.com.au/search?updated-max=2012-05-16T10:09:00-05:00&max-results=7

ETA- I am really bad with links, esp on iPad. It links to a page on their blog, you need to scroll down a little for ATI photos.

Edited to break link

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't find that picture.

m I the only one who sees a startling resemblance between the Bontrager girls' concert dresses and the playclothes that Maria made for the VonTrapp family singers out of her bedroom curtains?

I couldn't find that picture.

m I the only one who sees a startling resemblance between the Bontrager girls' concert dresses and the playclothes that Maria made for the VonTrapp family singers out of her bedroom curtains?

Itsba little more than halfway down the page.

Whoever dresses them has an unhealthy obsession with green

Here's another link, I think it should work.

bontragersingers.blogspot.com.au/2012/05/txokar-april-trip.html

And here are the pictures with the Duggars *crossing my fingers that this will work*

IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

Here's another link, I think it should work.

bontragersingers.blogspot.com.au/2012/05/txokar-april-trip.html

And here are the pictures with the Duggars *crossing my fingers that this will work*

IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

Thank you, breaking my crappy link now

Matching outfits on siblings over the age of ten looks tacky. That being said, I've watched some of the Bontragers' performances on YouTube and I like their music.

Historical trivia... The four daughters of Russia's Tsar Nicholas II always wore matching dresses, even when they were in their late teens and early twenties.

IMG_0658.jpg

Is that Joy in the middle with her hair pinned up?

ARGH, NO WRONG PICTURE. The one where they're standing lined up. That's the one I was trying to quote.

That is Joy with her hair pinned up! I like the style.

Jinger looks....off. Like she's not had enough sleep and/or is sick. Her smile looks incredibly forced.

Left to right the Duggar girls are Jana, Jill, Joy, Jessa and Jinger, yes? The girl in the white blouse in the middle is not a Duggar girl. Jessa Blessa has a rather trendy outfit for a Duggar!

I don't mind the Bontragers' outfits individually, but together it's a bit much.

So who wants to guess why JD has 2 iPhones attached to his hip? He's either THAT important or he's holding lazy ol' Smuggar's for him.

So who wants to guess why JD has 2 iPhones attached to his hip? He's either THAT important or he's holding lazy ol' Smuggar's for him.

Maybe someone went and got theirs confiscated. :naughty:

Jinjer's hair looks terrible in that picture.

If I recall rightly, Jinger has naturally curly hair. I reeeally wish she'd ditch the crispy ramen look and discover coconut oil.

Jinger doesn't have naturally curly hair. I just watched the old On the Road special this morning and her hair didn't even hold the "Little House" overnight braiding that the girls were doing before the perms. I think Jinger is perming and putting pomade on it for shine. I remember seeing a pic during the Santorum campaign when she'd straightened it (the flatiron and the 2" barrel curling iron seem to be their devices of choice these days) and she looked just awful.

Jessa is the only one who has naturally curly hair and Joy got the thick gene from her dad. And right now, she really looks like Josiah facially now that she's lost her baby fat (and is in need of a looser shirt...holy boobies, Batman).

Am I the only one who gets really confused by the Gothard rules about women's hair? Why do so many of them wear it down, when it's obviously not absolutely verboten to put it up?

Traditionally, young girls Joy's age wore their hair down. The only other women who wore their long hair uncovered were prostitutes. Gothard's supposed to be all about traditional roles so what gives? There's a great 19th century cartoon called "The Courtesan and the Drab" or something similar where the expensive courtesan is dressed as a respectable, upper-class lady riding through the park with tucked up hair and a form-fitting habit and the pox-ridden, cheap prostitute is standing in the mud dressed exactly like the Duggar women with awkward-length skirt, ratty untucked jacket and long, loose curls.

Am I the only one who gets really confused by the Gothard rules about women's hair? Why do so many of them wear it down, when it's obviously not absolutely verboten to put it up?

Traditionally, young girls Joy's age wore their hair down. The only other women who wore their long hair uncovered were prostitutes. Gothard's supposed to be all about traditional roles so what gives? There's a great 19th century cartoon called "The Courtesan and the Drab" or something similar where the expensive courtesan is dressed as a respectable, upper-class lady riding through the park with tucked up hair and a form-fitting habit and the pox-ridden, cheap prostitute is standing in the mud dressed exactly like the Duggar women with awkward-length skirt, ratty untucked jacket and long, loose curls.

Long, loose hair is probably seen as more feminine. It's also more restrictive imo.

But Daddy likes it long! (That's what she said?)

Gothard likes wavy hair. Not straight hair. Not curly hair. Wavy. It is supposed to look nicer (in his opinion) than straight or curly and people will look at the countenance of the girl instead of her body. So wearing hair long, down, and in waves is encouraged. Joy needs to be sent to the prayer closet!

I wince when I see them cooking with their long hair loose.

I have long hair, and even though I tie it back to cook the occasional hair makes it into the dish. I can't imagine how much of theirs must be in the meals they make.

Gothard likes wavy hair. Not straight hair. Not curly hair. Wavy. It is supposed to look nicer (in his opinion) than straight or curly and people will look at the countenance of the girl instead of her body. So wearing hair long, down, and in waves is encouraged. Joy needs to be sent to the prayer closet!

But iz not trad-ish-on-al! I haz confuz! Do I follow cult leader or tradishonz?

But Daddy likes it long! (That's what she said?)

Long, loose hair is probably seen as more feminine. It's also more restrictive imo.

Those are really good explanations. But man, they all really, really put me in mind of that prostitute in the print whenever I see those 'made' waves.

*NB - I don't think normal women with long hair, even if they're wearing skirts, look like prostitutes. It's just the combination of the Gothard uniform of artificial, loose waves, plus ratty untucked shirt plus ankle-revealing skirt that looks exactly like the picture I'm thinking of. I wish I had the book here so I could scan it for you. Imagine an 1870s Jessa, Jana or Jinger standing on a corner in the rain and sticking one foot out while a gentlemen with muttonchops stares at her boot all like, "Hello, I could get me a piece of that sexy ankle!"

It looks like John David is explaining something, and he has all the attention of the other boys at the table. He's so quiet on TV, but I bet he's more outgoing when the cameras aren't around.

Archived