IGNORED

So You Think You Can Dance

nimerha

I can't wait for the regular show but the auditions are fun too. Only, a little bit too focused on the sob stories at this point (still, so much better than other competition shows out there). I think what makes me get over them though is that the judges, all shenanigans aside, honestly do love and are knowledgeable about dance, and I can believe that their comments and decisions are their own, not dictated by the show's producers.

So, Mary Murphy. Fucking hilarious or endlessly annoying with her laughter? I have to admit, I usually watch it with a drink (or on a recent special occasion, an edible mood enhancer), so the fact that she cracks my shit up might partially be from that.

Favourite moment from last episode, aside from the actual dancing? Hm, toss up between Adam spitting his drink at Crumper chick and the sleezy pick-up artist being told to get out. Anyone else?

I enjoy this show, in part because it requires REAL talent, in part because I love dance, and in part because the judges (even when they're being weird or gushy) know what they're talking about, and it seems they try to give actual constructive criticism.

And hey, sparkly costumes and a hot batucada or Bollywood number never hurts... :D

But yeah, MM does get a little over the top, with both the laughing and the tears... :roll:

• 1 year later...

Any So You Think You Can Dance fans out there? My daughter and I hate-watch the show. :pull-hair:

• 1 month later...

Yeah I do.

Glad to see a bit more variety in the dancers this seasons. It had basically turned into 'so you think you are a contemporary dancer' the last few years. Hoping the will have more variety in the dances this seasons rather than the contemporary, hip-hop, Latin ballroom which is all we ever really seem to get these days.

Me me! I'm here! I like SYTYCD. :greetings-wavegreen:

I'm glad they started the real competition now. Auditions get on my nerves a bit because the editing is so obvious. I agree about contemporary dancing. It is beautiful, but I feel it's often a lot of the same thing. The show has been focusing a lot on the genre in the last seasons. Personally, I love ballroom style and I have quite a thing for ballroom male dancers. Marquette anyone? :P

:cracking-up: Yay! I was beginning to feel awfully lonely. I miss the good ol days of Season 1 before all the obvious producer manipulations. This year we know 3 of the contestants (Jessica, Marquette, & Ricky). Jessica already has an in with Mary Murphy and the choreographers. Almost all the comp dancers have been seen/judged by/danced for Travis, Sonya, Staci, Mia, etc from the convention/competition circuit.

I really hate the stunt casting during the audition shows, but someone has to be fodder while the rest get neatly placed into the production narrative.

What did y'all think of this week's show. I predict the first to go will be either the first ballroom girl or the ballerina with sloppy turns.

:cracking-up: Yay! I was beginning to feel awfully lonely. I miss the good ol days of Season 1 before all the obvious producer manipulations. This year we know 3 of the contestants (Jessica, Marquette, & Ricky). Jessica already has an in with Mary Murphy and the choreographers. Almost all the comp dancers have been seen/judged by/danced for Travis, Sonya, Staci, Mia, etc from the convention/competition circuit.

I really hate the stunt casting during the audition shows, but someone has to be fodder while the rest get neatly placed into the production narrative.

What did y'all think of this week's show. I predict the first to go will be either the first ballroom girl or the ballerina with sloppy turns.

Awww I'm disappointed to know that Marquette had connections inside the show. I really like him. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised the producers and judges already know who they want for the live shows by the time they have finished with the auditions. The rest of the selections are just for the show.

The comp dance world in the US is very small. Dancers at the elite level are crossed-trained in multiple styles. The show's judges/choreographers can be found teaching during the day at weekend dance conventions, and judging the associated competitions by night. Choreographers on the show make bank by choreographing for group dances and solos for studios across the country. I really wish the show would be transparent and mention they've seen these dancers over the years.

Marquette comes from a very highly-regarded UT studio which also specializes in ballroom in addition ballet, jazz, contemporary, and hip hop. He's a smart cookie for billing himself as ballroom to showcase his strong partnering and charisma.

Hard to say who will go home, there were no obviously terrible dances. I'm guessing the guy will be the one who danced first, for no other reason than he danced first. For the girls, I predict one of the ballerina's or the tapper, her constantly looking down during the routine really stood out.

Hard to say who will go home, there were no obviously terrible dances. I'm guessing the guy will be the one who danced first, for no other reason than he danced first. For the girls, I predict one of the ballerina's or the tapper, her constantly looking down during the routine really stood out.

Really Valerie? Her contemporary routine with Rudy was one of my favourite last night and the critiques were very good. I was surprised Jessica didn't get such a good critique. I was certain she was the judge's favorite.

Can I also talk about the broadway routine with the phones? Maybe it's because I'm just a fan and not a dancer, but I liked this routine. I thought Stanley (? is that his name? The guy?) was great. It definitely wasn't the best of the night but it wasn't awful. I understand the judges got tired of the phone props, but isn't it a bit unfair to blame the dancers if they didn't like the choreography? It doesn't mean they danced badly.

I was really annoyed with all the advertising/marketing tie-ins:

1)First the baseball one

2)Then one where they all danced from "On the Town" and the choreographer from all "On the Town" was there, and then an ad for the show

3) Then they had the dancers themselves talking about getting stressed or something for a deodorant

Disappointing that some of the dancers are picked in advance, but not really surprising. I hope there is some room for some people who come and do audition cold.

• 2 weeks later...

It also really bugs me that you can't call in to vote for you want to stay. Their other options don't work for me. I wonder if they have lost a significant amount of votes this way.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived