IGNORED

Kelly Bradrick On Being A Sister

debrand

Kelly opens her article by describing a scene in which a young boy is having a private conversation with Jesus. During that conversation, Jesus sits forward and stares into the young boy's eyes, reciting a verse from Proverbs.

I'll tell you right now, if I had been right outside the door, listening to their conversation (and I'm sure I would have been), the thought running through my mind would have been: "Wow! If God cares this much about the direction in life my brother takes, I want to be a part of it!" I would have been tempted to run in the room begging, "Lord, I want to help! How can I encourage and inspire him? How can I be a part of the great plan you have for my brother? How can I thank you for the greatness of his calling? Please Lord ...let me be a part of this, too."

I would have been pissed that the savior, who is supposed to love us all equally, had intimate words only for young boys and not little girls. Really? So the young girl can only live through the males in her life? Even god considers them a second class citizen?

The calling of a man is a great one. It is a calling of responsibility and leadership; but at the same time, it is a calling of humility and servanthood. It is not an easy calling, but it is a wonderful one. A young boy's childhood is not to be wasted. It should be full of preparation and learning. With all the hard work set before our brothers, being molded into someone God can use, they're going to need some help and encouragement

Surely, some girls in Vision Forum circle must ask, "Why don't I matter except as an accessory to men?" I don't understand how their women don't rebel in mass. It is like these people purposely live in some sort of romantic fantasy world. But parents must look at their daughters and see potential outside of what they can do for men. Is every single Vision Forum male a egocentric jack ass determined to take up all his daughter's attention and time?

Some important questions that every sister should ask are: "Am I striving after a sweet spirit? Am I reaching for all that is pure and holy? What kind of a picture of womanhood am I offering my brother?" There should be no confusion in the mind of a boy concerning what his sister's character should be.

Give him such a love for the purity and grace that he sees in you that he has no desire for the "qualities" that our world offers. Keep in mind that the qualities he finds in you will be qualities he looks for someday in choosing a wife! If that fact doesn't make you rethink the kind of life you may be living, my dear sisters, your heart needs to be made right. Maybe there needs to be a time of repentance and confession before the Lord. This is important! It is serious! The way our lives are lived affects more than just us. The choices we make will forever affect the people in our lives. We shouldn't allow ourselves

to be selfish.

This sounds creepy and puts a lot of pressure on girls to be perfect for her brothers.

http://storage.cloversites.com/hopebapt ... 20Call.pdf

Because it makes me emotionally sick, I'm not going to analyze the entire 8 pages. Kelly is passing on a life of little choices, guilt and poverty onto her daughter. Although I understand that she wants that life for herself, I don't understand why any loving parent would want the same for their daughters. I just don't understand it.

I feel so sorry for Kelly's daughter. That poor girl doesn't stand a chance of being herself. Her only role is to be there for her brothers.

I can't see the storage.cloversites website unless I download something from some corporation. And my anti-malware software isn't coming right out and telling me it's okay.

Is it safe? (try not to think about "Marathon Man," the movie :| )

MamaJuneBug, I have no idea why I can see it and you can't. If you want, I can pm you a copy and past of the entire pdf file but it will be a looo...ooong pm. The article is 8 pages.

Wow. As if it wasn't enough to submit to their fathers AND their husbands, now they have to act the weak little female for their brothers too?

Doesn't bode well for little Geneva Convention :|

debrand, very kind of you to offer!

No need to do all that, though. I'll be able to get the jist of things by what's posted here. Thank you for posting the excerpt you did!

So, I opened this on my iPhone & can't copy & paste.

But a few comments:

This probably was written years ago, when Kelly & David The Semi-Omnipotent BROTHER were still living in Scott & Deborah's house.

She writes like BRADRICK talks, calling her readers "my friends," and "my sisters," etc. Very condescending, but it shows how she & BRADRICK were meant for each other from the get-go.

She says that bringing up sons is not just the responsibility of parents, but of daughters. **Infuriating!** this is nothing more than the Dominionist version of the wrong-headed reason for co-ed college dorms, "the girls' presence will help calm down the boys and there will be less damage to the college property.". Bullstuff! I send my girls to college to learn, not to be the school's unpaid nannies! When they & their brothers were home, I expected good behavior from each child on his/her own, regardless of gender. And it was MY job to raise my kids. Not their jobs.

She further encourages older daughters who've been left in charge of younger sibs whilst the 'rents are away to cede authority to the little brother(s)--"Give him a chance to be 'man if the house.'l

Good grief! Do VF NCFIC Hope Baptist Church (WakeForest) actually share this drivel with their children?

If so, maybe we have nothing to worry about - these Darwin Award contestants will find themselves culled out of the herd before they procreate! <--- Being sarcastic, here, but seriously: **Surely** parents who read this blather will realize what dangerous bunkum it is... Or if not immediately, then when they come home to chaos & SweetspiritSue tearfully explains that she was merely following the advice given by Mrs. Kelly BRADRICK in the article...!

We can't allow women to exist as individuals without defining them in relation to men, now, can we?

:puke-front:

I can't see the storage.cloversites website unless I download something from some corporation. And my anti-malware software isn't coming right out and telling me it's okay.

Is it safe? (try not to think about "Marathon Man," the movie :| )

MJ, is it asking you to download Adobe Acrobat? If so, that is a safe thing to do. Adobe is a well-known, well-respected software company. Adobe Acrobat allows you to read documents that are saved as a PDF Document - it's basically an image(s) of a document. You can download that first from Adobe.com if you prefer, and any time a site wants to open a PDF, you won't get that message anymore.

snarky, thank you, too!

I will probably do that soon, just to be able to see what other forehead-slappers Hope Baptist has on its reading list.

I have to say, the only path I would have been good at preparing my brother for would have been professional cage fighting or something like that. Sugar and spice and everything nice I was not.

I really, really don't want my brother thinking about me in any sort of marital or sexual context, either. That's really gross.

It sounds incestuous. Ew. Why can't they have normal sibling relationships? I like being a sister to my brother, but it's because he's cool and we shared an upbringing. Thank the gods my mission in childhood was not to support his manly-man efforts, but to become an autonomous human being and not beat up my brother when he made stupid noises.

I wonder if it this approach the brother and sister relationship that has many fundie parents worried about sisters and brothers developing intimate or sexual feelings for each? Your brother and father are just simply that, but are stand ins for your future husband and they are the headships of your house. Serious mixed messages going on.

I wonder if it this approach the brother and sister relationship that has many fundie parents worried about sisters and brothers developing intimate or sexual feelings for each? Your brother and father are just simply that, but are stand ins for your future husband and they are the headships of your house. Serious mixed messages going on.

That thought occurred over here, too.

What's this about being an example of what your brother should look for in a wife, someday? Or words to that effect. It's weird enough going through puberty and seeing your sibs endure (enjoy?) the same things, but then to think of yourself and your opposite-sex sib as exemplifying future spousal qualities to each other?

Two letters: Ew.

If I'd been schooled to act like my brother, I'd be an arrogant snob who thinks I'm God's gift to men and on my third marriage.

Archived