IGNORED

Least Favourite Duggar Episode?

xDreamerx

A lot of the episodes are on YouTube so if you ever want to see one, there you go. Pretty much all of the ones mentioned bug me, but the one with Josie's First Birthday bugs me too. Michelle had 7 kids at home and she still required Anna and Priscilla to help her. How much of it is help and how much of it is a plain refusal to mother your own children? Priscilla was helping Jennifer get her socks and shoes on. Wow such a difficult and trying task. She also mentioned she was helping them with school. It seems like the second her older girls leave, DQ just throws up her hands. Then she put a kitten in little Josie's face. 10 points for smarts, Michelle.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest LilaFowler

The Say Yes To The Dress crossover episode. When Michelle was going in a dressing room to try on her dress, and one of the consultants asked if she needed help getting it on. Michelle said something like no, she wanted to put it on herself and stay modest. Michelle has had many doctor's exams, vaginal ultrasounds, and delivered 19 babies. She's had plenty of doctor's hands in, on, and around her vagina. She wanted to be modest about being seen by another women in a bra or slip? Come on bitch.

My favourite review of my least-favourite episode, Smuggar and Anna-Bob getting hitched:

http://ashiddy.blogspot.com/2009/01/duggar-wedding-celebrating-love-legos.html

The waiter is why I can't completely hate on that episode, despite its constant effort to teach the great unwashed masses about "REAL" morality and Legos. The tantric sex remark still has me rolling if I happen to catch a repeat. I think the guy actually posted on TWOP after the episode aired, or if it wasn't him, it was a cousin or something. Whoever it was gave a lot of background info on the guy; I think he was doing stand-up somewhere. Hopefully, that appearance got him out of the sticks and onstage in a decent market.

Least favorite (besides 95% of the wedding)? Maybe the 1st NY trip (spread out over two episodes). Boob was handing out tracts with the family picture to everyone in sight, reveling in people fawning over him as he bragged about how those were ALL HIS OWN KIDS!!!!!!1111 That he had those things made at all makes me ill. Packing them into taxis was a total TLC setup; you know that other than that scripted scene, these people were driven from place to place in a stretch limo. Lucky us, in a few weeks, we get to see them attempt to ride the subway (didn't we already see them do that in DC?).

Favorite episode has to be when Boob and Michelle went to SF and Boob, commenting on the "pipes" in the head shop, says that they are some funny-shaped pieces of glasswork. I think they also bought Joy a skirt in that shop. Hee. The look on Boob's face when the producer told them where they'd just been was priceless. Handing out those tracts to homeless people and the hipsters in the Haight was comical, as was the confession that Boob hated the taste of beer so much that he "spit it out." Well, duh. They were probably drinking PBR or something equally cheap and vile. He also went off on his views about the war on Terror, trying his best to remain diplomatic since he was in a cafe in San Francisco; he was totally lying (he's a horrible liar...it's all over his face). I just wish they would have shown us the drive through the Castro on Halloween. Sadly, I remember that night and it was raining pretty good so they didn't get the show that they potentially could have, but they still got an eyefull. I forgot which one commented on it, but their eyes were as big as saucers. Comedy gold!

I also found the episode where Josh made Anna like an hour or two late for the OB and Anna was sitting there trying to bite back her nausea pretty bad. I'm so glad I will never share a doctor/midwife with them because being two hours late has throw the entire schedule off and make other people wait even longer then normal. And I felt bad for Anna since I'm sure seeing the baby on the ultrasound would have helped maker her morning sickness easier to handle.

I also hated the first Duggar wisdom teeth episode. Watching people have surgery just isn't my thing.

My heart broke a little for Joy the tomboy trying to climb that indoor rock wall in a skirt and flip flops on her birthday.

Seriously, what's up with flip flops? Is it just cheapness or do they have some other meaning?

My heart broke a little for Joy the tomboy trying to climb that indoor rock wall in a skirt and flip flops on her birthday.

Seriously, what's up with flip flops? Is it just cheapness or do they have some other meaning?

I wondered this too. I mean, I just don't see why you'd want to wear flip flops during any and all activities, especially hiking and rock climbing. I've never worn them (I can't), but just by watching others it seems like they slip off the foot easily and don't offer a good grip or good support.

I wondered this too. I mean, I just don't see why you'd want to wear flip flops during any and all activities, especially hiking and rock climbing. I've never worn them (I can't), but just by watching others it seems like they slip off the foot easily and don't offer a good grip or good support.

That's also something I wondered about as well. I can't wear flip flops like that for very long because I like my sandals to stay on my feet when I wear them. The closest thing to flip flops I can wear are those made with leather and that actually stay on my feet.

This was my first episode and one of my least favorites. In the episode DimBulb makes a remark along the lines that they want to "educate" there children on all theories of life on Earth. You know darn well that those kids have never been exposed to anything pointed out all the evidence of evolution. DQ also makes a comment in her sing-song voice about "the earth is only 6000 years old, it really, really is!!". Gag me.

This. And at the end they asked all the adult children to expand on their beliefs, and Jana's saying something like, "Sometimes you go to a museum they might tell you about evolution and it sounds like it's true, but when you read the bible it's not the same, it's totally different". And they all went on and on about how they know the literal story of Genesis is true, and I really really wanted someone to just ask "why?" All of them had these beliefs and couldn't explain why they had them, couldn't say why evolution was false and the bible was true before or after visiting the museum.

That episode was also during Josiah's "Little Smuggar" period, explaining why they don't go to a "regular" museum. Plus Boob had a great moment where he starts explaining that in the bible humans and animals were created on consecutive days and JD has to correct him that they were created on the same day (or vice versa). Way to know your bible stories, JB. The whole episode just highlighted the fact that they weren't learning anything, just parroting back the same phrases as if saying them makes them true.

I think the older girls wear flipflops all the time as backlash against the earlier style choices that were forced on them. In the early specials, they all had to wear those horrible Little House-style lace-up boots with the prairie dresses, which I'm sure were bought used to save the difference. Besides the fact that they are horribly unstylish, I'm sure they were uncomfortable once they had been fitted to someone else's feet and totally unnecessary in a Southern summer. Since they wanted out of those boots, but still had to buy cheap shoes, flipflops are the easy solution since they're widely available for <$5. I pretty much live in flipflops of various qualities through the spring and summer, but I do know when they are not appropriate. By now they should be able to afford some appropriate close-toed shoes that would be acceptable to their teenage daughters.

I really hate both of Anna's homebirth episodes. That is just such a horrible invasion of privacy, especially for her first one when she didn't even know what to expect. It's one thing to have 10 births and then knowing what birth is like, deciding whether or not to have a camera follow you around for your next one. But Anna didn't have that same choice, and she didn't get any "practice" births, so she couldn't really predict what would end up on film. I just think she was so naive going into this and that her stressful experience of a first childbirth was made even more stressful by the Duggars' and TLC's insistence on filming it for ratings. I don't believe for a second that she had any choice in the matter.

I'm just mad in general their entire laise faire attitude towards a having a last minute homebirth because they had to get the birth on film. That really isn't a decision any responsible person would make on the spur of a moment and it's maddening that the tv crew's needs took priority over whatever Anna wanted.

Another moment of Duggar hate is when JimBob is teasing Jennifer buy wearing a fake beard. it's obvious she miserable and she kept crying out for Jill becuase Jill was more her mom than her actual mom.

Oh and the public school episode where they visit a public school and everyone's making snooty comments about it and then you see the Duggar approach to homeschooling where no one is being educated. (and you'd think after 20 odd years they'd have some kind of established routine and system in place but no, just pure chaos. And you'd also think that given the luxury of building their own house they might have set aside a space for homeschooling so the kids had a calm and quiet learning space but nope, not so much.)

I can't even begin to count the times I wanted to climb through the tv and smack JB, DQ, or Smuggar, but I'll add something no one has mentioned yet:

The end of the wedding episode when Anna and Josh walked into the hotel. She was trailing slightly behind him, CARRYING THE SUITCASE, while he had nothing in his hands. How very sad.

He also went off on his views about the war on Terror, trying his best to remain diplomatic since he was in a cafe in San Francisco; he was totally lying (he's a horrible liar...it's all over his face). I just wish they would have shown us the drive through the Castro on Halloween.

OMG I LOVED this episode. "The Duggars: The only family to visit San Francisco and not see any gay people." LOL, I guess they couldn't make JB&M too uncomfortable on camera, or else the mask woudl totally slip off. That plus JB's awkward proposal of marriage to Michelle on the ferry was a sight to behold.

The end of the wedding episode when Anna and Josh walked into the hotel. She was trailing slightly behind him, CARRYING THE SUITCASE, while he had nothing in his hands. How very sad.

Oh, I hated this too. Did anybody catch the hotel where they spent the wedding night? Motel Six? Soooo romantic, Josh. I'm surprised they didn't just do it in the broom closet at the reception then sleep in the back of saran-wrap car. Hey, it would be free!

I can't even begin to count the times I wanted to climb through the tv and smack JB, DQ, or Smuggar, but I'll add something no one has mentioned yet:

I always thought that scene was re-enacted for the benefit of the cameras. Neither one had that "oh, we are so excited; we are going to be alone for the very first time!" aura about them. It looked more like they had already done several takes, and were tired of filming the scene. After the hotel door shut, there was an audio of the two of them exclaiming "Yes!", but that could have been dubbed over.

They did take some wedding photos day(s) after the wedding, on the beach. Her hair is different, and they are kissing, so those pics were taken after the wedding. Maybe those pics were taken at the honeymoon destination?

Grandpa's funeral.

Michale's birth.

Both were too much. Way to intimate. Way too explotive.

And, I ran out of brain bleach long ago for the nose-picking, poop stories, poopy toilets, and foreplay by anyone married.

The episode where jimboob exclaimed "Now that my kids have all had the chickepox, they'll never get shingles!!!" or something along those lines. I wanted to put my head through the nearest wall; instead I've never watched the show since.

I always thought that scene was re-enacted for the benefit of the cameras. Neither one had that "oh, we are so excited; we are going to be alone for the very first time!" aura about them. It looked more like they had already done several takes, and were tired of filming the scene.

Yes and no. While I don't doubt for a second that it could very well have taken multiple takes to film the scene, I can totally see the situation as being extremely awkward. First, it's being filmed, and second, to go from never being alone together and only allowed to hold hands (icky as THAT was) to "doing it" in the space of a couple of hours has to be a bizarre, surreal, experience. Not to mention all the "nudge-nudge" "wink-wink" crap they had to put up with at the wedding. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

The episode where jimboob exclaimed "Now that my kids have all had the chickepox, they'll never get shingles!!!" or something along those lines. I wanted to put my head through the nearest wall; instead I've never watched the show since.

I thought TLC had an ethical obligation to put in a disclaimer. A screen blurb saying "JimBoob misspoke here, folks, shingles are caused by the same virus that causes chicken pox. Once you've had chicken pox, a later flare up will cause shingles" would have sufficed.

TLC used to stand for The Learning Channel after all.

Did it ever have educational programming? I started watching in the heyday of trading spaces when one of my friends came over and was like, "You HAVE to see this show!", and then became obsessed with interior design. But even then, it was very much a reality show type of channel with gimmicks.

Yes. It started life as an "educational channel". How it morphed into fundies, dwarves, and tots in tiaras I don't know.

The channel was founded in 1972 and was originally dedicated to be an informative/instructional network focused on providing real education through the medium of TV. At one point it was known as Appalachian Community Service Network.[1] In November 1980 the channel became known as "The Learning Channel", subsequently shortened to "TLC."[2] The channel mostly featured documentary content pertaining to nature, science, history, current events, medicine, technology, cooking, home improvement and other information-based topics. These are often agreed to have been more focused, more technical, and of a more academic nature than the content that was being broadcast at the time on its rival, The Discovery Channel.

I totally love flip-flops, but even I wouldn't wear them on a rock-climbing wall. I think the Duggars buy them for the girls so they can't run away as easily.

I thought TLC had an ethical obligation to put in a disclaimer. A screen blurb saying "JimBoob misspoke here, folks, shingles are caused by the same virus that causes chicken pox. Once you've had chicken pox, a later flare up will cause shingles" would have sufficed.

TLC really dropped the ball on that one, didn't they?

Ohh, this isn't really an episode, even though I saw it on their episode, but I almost lost it when I saw Anna carrying around a "Joshy girl" purse. REALLY? You're a married woman, carrying around something my younger cousins would walk with? It kind of reminds me of middle school days when we would put "I <3 so and so" on our hands with ink. This is what happens when you shelter your children :roll:

Ohh, this isn't really an episode, even though I saw it on their episode, but I almost lost it when I saw Anna carrying around a "Joshy girl" purse. REALLY? You're a married woman, carrying around something my younger cousins would walk with? It kind of reminds me of middle school days when we would put "I <3 so and so" on our hands with ink. This is what happens when you shelter your children :roll:

Right? Like I used to doodle those kinds of things on my books in 6th grade. It's strange how they are supposed to be so womanly and serious and yet they are infantalized and very much like little girls because they've had no exposure to the world. I don't just mean that culturally or in practical terms but emotionally especially, they've had no chance to experience any romantic feeling before. I expect when they have their first marital fight it's quite a shock to them.

Shoeless Grandpa and Lost Jackson were by far my 2 least favorite episodes, followed closely by Hand Sex and any episode where the young adults had to endure little kid activities. Every time I think of Jana on that ridiculous little train I get embarrassed for her.

And I think the girls wear flip flops because it may be the only footwear they get to purchase NEW. If my choices were sneakers from GoodWill or Dollar General flip flops, it would be a no brainer. I refuse to buy secondhand footwear unless it's for a Halloween costume or something similar. It's gross and it's bad for your feet.

The Washington DC episodes, because those episodes are so blatantly covering up why they are there and what they really believe. In particular, on the first trip they get a tour of the Capitol by David Barton. He was credited on screen as either a "historian" or "tour guide." I knew that name sounded familiar, but I couldn't place it. After some digging, I realized I had read about him in an article about the Texas history textbook controversy. Barton was the lead wacko pressuring the Texas textbook committee to make changes to history textbooks so they reflected a conservative agenda. Among other things, he and his group made the following suggestions:

-Change the name of the "Atlantic slave trade" to "Atlantic triangular trade"

-Remove mentions of Thurgood Marshall, Cesar Chavez, and Anne Hutchinson from examples of "great Americans."

-Teach children "republican values" instead of "democratic values" because, to quote Barton, "Children pledge allegiance to the flag and the republic for which it stands, not the democracy."

Also, Barton has no experience in education, and he has no academic background in history. THIS is who showed the Duggars around the Capitol, and 97% of the viewers would have absolutely no idea about any of this.

Oh, I forgot to mention....any birthday episode. They invariably turn into a Jim Bob/Michelle lovefest. The parties themselves look lame, never take the individual child's personality/preferences into account, and are always age inappropriate. If you hate celebrating birthdays every month...DON'T have 19 kids!

Archived