IGNORED

Esther Shrader (Anna Duggar's sister) living in a pop up

xReems

So, apparently, the Shrader clan have been financially struggling from the get go. When they first moved to Oregon, they lived in a small camp out trailer and then God provided them with a house last year. It looks like John lost his job at the car dealership and is currently unemployed so they are living in a pop up camp trailer for the time being.

facebook.com/john.shrader.125 (public profile).

Even though they are bat shit fundie crazy, I do feel bad for them. I can't imagine the stress Esther's husband might be having.

However, at the same time, allowing God to decide how many children they should have is not the best idea if they have very little money. Yes, it's okay to pray to God for guidance but that doesn't mean you should not think for yourself. There's a reason why God gave us all a brain--to use it and not let it sit there and do nothing.

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You didn't mention how many kids they have. There must be seven, because he wrote:

"Thankfully the children are all small, so all nine of us have a place to sleep!"

:shock: :shock: :shock:

You didn't mention how many kids they have. There must be seven, because he wrote:

"Thankfully the children are all small, so all nine of us have a place to sleep!"

:shock: :shock: :shock:

The image of nine people living in a pop up trailer scares me a bit.

Those poor kids.

I don't necessarily think kids should all have their own rooms or that we need the big houses people seem to all yearn for these days but a pop up camper is TINY! It must be difficult to maintain basic hygiene.

G-d gave us self control. If you don't believe in birth control that's fine. YOu can abstain from sex too.

According to Facebook they seem to be planning a move to Zambia, I guess to convert the "heathens". Oy.

I'm looking at the pics now and they also lived in a regular camping trailer for four months back in 2008. I also see a wall posting in which they are soliciting donations and they have an address set up. I do feel bad for them, but I honestly find it hard to sympathize with them because they chose to have a big family and that makes a job loss harder, not trying to be mean.

According to his profile he's also a pastor. How does his church let him live like that?

I wouldn't think life in a pop-up would allow for a sex life so hopefully no more kids.

Esther and John went to Zambia for a couple weeks to serve a mission. I think right around that time is when he lost his job. John really doesn't have a career-he's done everything from window washing to a sales man.

Yep, the Shraders have 7 children-the youngest one born a year ago. I don't know if they're planning on moving to another state or if that's truly their home until God provides them with a new house.

According to his profile he's also a pastor. How does his church let him live like that?

I wouldn't think life in a pop-up would allow for a sex life so hopefully no more kids.

The church and the members could be struggling too. I think they could be helping the Shraders out with food and other necessities, but they might not be able to help with housing.

A job loss can hit anyone hard but when you're essentially unskilled and can be replaced by any dude off the street then you really have to think twice about your choice to have a super sized family. You'd think that in their quest to overpopulate the earth that they'd place an emphasis on STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mechanical) skills rather than low skilled jobs like truck driving and used car sales.

So basically they are living in a tent on wheels? I've often seen these on the back of people's vehicles but never knew how they expanded, now I do. It's fine for a weekend camp out, but not to live in. Those poor children.

Also the "Abortionist" picture he posted is horrid. When you have to explain the pronunciation of your children's names at every turn, it was a dumbass idea to name them that.

So basically they are living in a tent on wheels? I've often seen these on the back of people's vehicles but never knew how they expanded, now I do. It's fine for a weekend camp out, but not to live in. Those poor children.

It's really just tragic. Why do people treat their "blessings" this way. Just because you can physically have them doesn't mean you can emotionally and financially take care of them. The having them is the easy part...

I notice he is selling cars, and is close enough for a field trip.

Pick me up. We can take the kids out for ice cream.

Pick me up. We can take the kids out for ice cream.

When the weather gets nice we'll make a run on a saturday. Hood River has a kick ass farmers market.

If this is the real camper, it's in someone's back yard.

They are probably parking in a friend's yard. Hopefully, they can sleep in the house if something happens with the pop up.

The wind whips through that area, and I can't imagine staying warm in it, during the winter when the jet stream dips. Those usually have a propane heater (vented) and a small cadet type heater for when you are plugged in. The kids are probably piled on the floor like puppies.

At this point, its time to swallow your pride. Then get yourself to the unemployment office to file for unemployment. After that, make a trip to the local dept of human services and apply for Foodstamps/SNAP and Medicaid for your kids. Then, since they have SO many little ones, appointments need to be made at the Local WIC office for every child 5 or under.

After all of the above is in place, apply for Section 8 housing and some sort of training services to obtain some in demand job skills.

Doing the homeless thing in the name of Jesus is not fair to your kids...or your wife....

I am at home with my three kids right now. I do work from home, but if it looked like we were going to be living in a damn pop up tent, I would get my ass employed, pronto.

This is yet another horrible example of how the fundie lifestyle doesn't work - who are they going to call? Peter Bradrick? *snort*

I wonder if they beleive that growing up in oppressive poverty will build their children's character?

And they look down on me because I have only one child, a college education, and am gainfully employed? *snort* At least my kid has a bed to sleep in and isn't living in a damn tent.

Seriously, if he's having trouble finding a job, then it's time for her to go look for one. Certainly, she can work in a day care or something. Hell, if she worked at a day care, they may let her bring her kids with her. I don't care how much you believe a woman's place is in the home. When things get this bad, it's time to make some sacrifices.

Archived