IGNORED

Mary Maxwell is working to graduate early for...what?

kpmom

Newest post on Maxwell blog (no baby news as of now) tells us Mary (cute as a button-no snark) is working over the summer so she may graduate from the Maxwell's SOTDRT early.

Why exactly?

So she can start college early? So she can start vocational school early? So she can go into the military as soon as she turns 17? So she can sit home for years doing busy work, and wait and wait for Prince Charming? What's the rush?

ETA: titus2.com/blog/

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing else to do? :(

Or to get that evil learning over and done with and put behind her for good. :(

I always wish someone on those talk shows that the Duggars frequent would ask about that.

Host: "So all your kids graduate high school at 16?!"

Michelle: "Yes, aren't they smart and awesome?"

Host: "What have they done since with those smarts?"

After six years, Jana could have two degrees by now.

Agreed. I don't think after all this shit Stevie's realized about his spinster daughter, he's not going to let that happen to the other two. I would not be surprised at all if he's already got mates selected for both Anna and Mary. He missed the boat and should have been shopping for Sarah's mate 15 years ago, but he was too busy getting fired from his real job and starting up his own business to notice.

Anna can cook and Mary can sew. They both will get partners.

My thoughts too "get it over with" I'm sure Terri is tired of doing "school"..... Now she can be a helpmeet to Daddy.

Sarah as the designated Spinster? Yes, probably sad but true. Can't expect a man to marry a woman THAT age after all she'd only be able to birth, what? 10, 11 kids?? Not enough

Mary and Anna--maybe Nathan has encountered some Godly Young Men in his online classes who could talk to her by Skype while surrounded by his family and she could reply after looking to Steve for approval on everything (and, of course, with HER whole family around her). Then in a few years they could work up to chaperoned Skye Bible Study and finally push the envelope of decency to the breaking point and get His Father to approve Him asking Her father to let him ask Her to marry Him (after he's been grilled on theology, provided the clear title to his car, work truck and hand built house). Yep, I'd say Anna and Mary should be married off before 28 or 29 if the process has already started!!!

Wonder how many years it will take John, Joesph and Jesse?? It take Nathan and Christopher till they were almost bald..........

She's a pretty young lady but she looks about 12 or 13. I never would have guessed she was as old as she is.

My thoughts too "get it over with" I'm sure Terri is tired of doing "school"

This.

That was my first thought too, because Terri is tired of homeschooling, so best for Mary to finish early. Though I have mixed feelings and feel that the longer the fundy daughters don't get married the better (thus less likelihood to raise a bunch more arrows with the same mindset), I do wish for the girls to be happy so I hope all three eventually find husbands (or God finds husbands for them), but tend to agree that I don't see this happening for Sarah, poor Sarah.... :(

This.

That was my first thought too, because Terri is tired of homeschooling, so best for Mary to finish early. Though I have mixed feelings and feel that the longer the fundy daughters don't get married the better (thus less likelihood to raise a bunch more arrows with the same mindset), I do wish for the girls to be happy so I hope all three eventually find husbands (or God finds husbands for them), but tend to agree that I don't see this happening for Sarah, poor Sarah.... :(

This is what I thought too. It's not like she's going to be doing anything after done schooling...the "adult" life of the Maxwell "children" seems soooo boring, at least school gives Mary something to other than mindless unnecessary cleaning, or cooking bland foods. I wonder how much school she actually got to this point. But any semblance of education is at least more interesting than what she has to look forward to after.

Guest Anonymous
She's a pretty young lady ...

...and from the beaming smiles and cute poses in recent photos, she knows it.

I think the Lord has laid it on Steve's heart that lovely Mary is becoming too worldly in her blossoming appearance, her love of trendy(ish) clothes and her desire to pretty her sisters' hair. I think this is a strategy to crush her spirit and keep her in line, I really do. :(

I think Mary wants to finish because she doesn't want to be sitting around with Teri while her BFF sisters are off doing exciting things like cooking dinner or cleaning Nathan's house. I also think Teri is sick of homeschooling. I have been homeschooling 11 years and some days the kids drive me insane. I'll be done in 8 years. I cannot imagine having such an age gap in kids ages to where I would be homeschooling almost 30 years like Teri. :violin:

I think Mary wants to finish because she doesn't want to be sitting around with Teri while her BFF sisters are off doing exciting things like cooking dinner or cleaning Nathan's house. I also think Teri is sick of homeschooling. I have been homeschooling 11 years and some days the kids drive me insane. I'll be done in 8 years. I cannot imagine having such an age gap in kids ages to where I would be homeschooling almost 30 years like Teri. :violin:

I agree, I also think Teri is sick of homeschooling. Maybe after Mary finishes, Teri will focus more on writing books or something.

co-sign

I can't help thinking Steve would marry Anna off first though, if he could... but I guess Mary is much prettier and considering how little men can get to know these girls, that would put her at quite an advantage.

I don't know what to hope with these girls because barring physical abuse I can't think of much worse than being under Steve's headship for the rest of their lives, and I don't think their level of education and understanding makes escape a likely possibility.

What could they do for work? They could be maids either at a hotel or a place like Merry Maids. They could be waitresses or greeters at restaurants. Aside from that I really can't think of anything they could do for work if they were to escape.

What could they do for work? They could be maids either at a hotel or a place like Merry Maids. They could be waitresses or greeters at restaurants. Aside from that I really can't think of anything they could do for work if they were to escape.

They sew, so they can get jobs at places making custom clothing and alterations. It's not a huge business, but there are a few shops in my town. Probably not amazing wages, but a living.

Alternatively they can try to open such a business on their own.

Luckily they do all have high school diplomas. The way it works in Kansas is homeschooling is a one-family private school, basically, so they all have diplomas from the Maxwells' school, I forget the name but it's "babbling brook Christian school" or something like that. Anyway, they have that, so if they were to REALLY run off the rails, they're free to sign up for normal community colleges without any special interventions. (Assuming they've left home, of course!!) Plenty of career tracks there.

Also there's always retail. Thing is of course there's plenty of competition given the state of the economy and the wages are therefore not so great, assuming you're lucky enough to get the job.

I commented on the post. Not going to tell you what I said incase Stevie is watching (hi!), but will be interesting to see if he posts it. I've commented before and he did, but that was a while ago.

I think the Maxwell girls would have a hard time getting jobs if they were to escape. It would be the same for the girls in other fundie families(e.g. The Duggars, Bateses etc). The Maxwell girls could get cleaning jobs like at hotels as another poster mentioned. Some hotels will hire people who have no work experience. Retail and food services might be a little difficult for them to get into. I would worry about how the Maxwell girls would interact with others in workplace settings. I can see them especially Sarah having hard time trying to get along with others. Sarah comes off as smug at times.

I also feel that Mary has been blessed in the looks department and is "stylish" in comparison to her sisters. Perhaps she could be a model for one of the modest clothing websites.

Just wondering, does anyone know if the girls are allowed to wear modest swimwear and go swimming? Heck, are the Maxwell guys allowed to swim?

I also feel that Mary has been blessed in the looks department and is "stylish" in comparison to her sisters. Perhaps she could be a model for one of the modest clothing websites.

Just wondering, does anyone know if the girls are allowed to wear modest swimwear and go swimming? Heck, are the Maxwell guys allowed to swim?

No, they don't swim. Even if they are wearing modest swim attire, there are too many scantily clad people at the beach/pool posing a serious risk to... whatever.

My thoughts too "get it over with" I'm sure Terri is tired of doing "school"..... Now she can be a helpmeet to Daddy.

Sarah as the designated Spinster? Yes, probably sad but true. Can't expect a man to marry a woman THAT age after all she'd only be able to birth, what? 10, 11 kids?? Not enough

Mary and Anna--maybe Nathan has encountered some Godly Young Men in his online classes who could talk to her by Skype while surrounded by his family and she could reply after looking to Steve for approval on everything (and, of course, with HER whole family around her). Then in a few years they could work up to chaperoned Skye Bible Study and finally push the envelope of decency to the breaking point and get His Father to approve Him asking Her father to let him ask Her to marry Him (after he's been grilled on theology, provided the clear title to his car, work truck and hand built house). Yep, I'd say Anna and Mary should be married off before 28 or 29 if the process has already started!!!

Wonder how many years it will take John, Joesph and Jesse?? It take Nathan and Christopher till they were almost bald..........

Your capitalization is poetical. :bowing smiley:

I think a big part of this is just so Steve can brag about it. He wants to look like he's so much better than all those public-school heathens that his perfect godly daughter will graduate early. Then clearly patriarchal homeschooling is the superior option and his kids are smarter than everyone else's. I really do think this is about bragging rights, just like everything else fundies do, in spite of their claim to modesty.

Archived