IGNORED

Sister Wives

RR88

I think I believed they were better/more accepting until I heard Christine's whole thing about if they decided not to choose "the lifestyle" or whatever they called it that she would be worried that she 'raised them wrong'. That made it pretty clear to me that they might be allowed to balk all they want as kids but that if they choose something else with their life when they're grown it would be considered "wrong" to Christine. Robyn, Meri, and Kodouche all nodded when she was expressing this. I don't remember what Janelle was doing.

I disagree. I think Christine was being honest about how any parent would feel if their child rejected a value they were raised with, whether it be religion or a value on education.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Christine is sufering from PPD since Truly was born and the move to LV did not help.

I think she was suffering from some troubles before Truly came along.

Anyone old enough to connect the name to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (or Shitty Shitty Bang Bang, as we 6 year olds referred to it at the time) knows it's a Truly bizarre name. "Truly Scrumptious, you're truly, truly scrumptious...."

Oh I love that movie so much for some reason! I'm a junkie for Dick Van Dyke, I think. I was wondering where I knew that name from....

I heard that comment being the way a parent feels anytime a kid makes a choice that is opposite the beliefs they were raised with. If one of my kids became a hard core border closing / i.d. checking/ safety net banning/ union busting conservative I would be disappointed, and maybe wonder how I failed to impart my values - but I would still love them just as much. We would probably just avoid talking politics.

Actually one of my kids does absolutely avoid discussing politics with anyone in our family ... hmmmm...

You could be right. It very well could be that I heard it differently due to my background which is a family where you either believe exactly like they do or you're evil. I chose a different branch of protestant Christianity and half of my family is convinced that I'm literally demon possessed. How could I not be? The Bible says, according to them, that if you raise your kids right they'll believe exactly what you tell them to and if they don't then either you raised them wrong or they're evil. My parents obviously never did a wrong thing in their life, so I'm evil. With that kind of baggage, it's very possible that I read way more into Christine's words than what was meant. However, it's slightly possible that she meant what I heard and just didn't mean to let it slip out on camera.

I'm going to give you my perspective on this (not on Christine, I didn't see this episode). I was raised fundy-lite, and horribly abused by my mom's exhusband when I was a child. I have serious issues with Christianity and I'm a Jew (by birth), but not all that religious. My exhusband attends a Baptist church, so does my 12 year old son, he's a Christian. I am disappointed in this, and I do feel like I have done something wrong in parenting. I'm really concerned with how this is going to turn out, but at the same time I have to respect my sons beliefs, because I want him to respect mine. So far it is working out, and we have an open dialog about beliefs, but like I said I do worry.

I don't know how Christine meant it, and I'm sorry that your parents suck so badly about this (I had demons "cast out of me" at 8....mom's then husband wanted to make sure I wasn't credible if I told anyone that he was raping me. I know how it is.) but you can be a loving parent who would never be like yours and still be disappointed in your childs beliefs.

I heard that comment being the way a parent feels anytime a kid makes a choice that is opposite the beliefs they were raised with. If one of my kids became a hard core border closing / i.d. checking/ safety net banning/ union busting conservative I would be disappointed, and maybe wonder how I failed to impart my values - but I would still love them just as much.

That's how I heard Christine's comment also. The polygamy and their version of Mormonism is all wrapped up together. If a child decided against polygamy it could be seen as both a rejection of their faith and as being part of a family with multiple wives. Christine (and any of the other wives) might view having a child choosing monogamy and rejecting polygamy as a criticism of his or her upbringing. It could make them feel "I failed as a polygamous mother/wife" and if they had been better, the child would have realized how great the life and religion is and embraced it. I don't think Christine or any of the wives would cast out a monogamous child; they seem to have a wide variety of children and let them be themselves. But I am sure each wife naturally hopes the chidlren will choose to live within their religion. So far, only Meri's daughter, Mariah, seems to be totally for polygamy. The other teens are on the fence. It will be interesting to see how many of them remain with their faith.

That's how I heard Christine's comment also. The polygamy and their version of Mormonism is all wrapped up together. If a child decided against polygamy it could be seen as both a rejection of their faith and as being part of a family with multiple wives. Christine (and any of the other wives) might view having a child choosing monogamy and rejecting polygamy as a criticism of his or her upbringing. It could make them feel "I failed as a polygamous mother/wife" and if they had been better, the child would have realized how great the life and religion is and embraced it. I don't think Christine or any of the wives would cast out a monogamous child; they seem to have a wide variety of children and let them be themselves. But I am sure each wife naturally hopes the chidlren will choose to live within their religion. So far, only Meri's daughter, Mariah, seems to be totally for polygamy. The other teens are on the fence. It will be interesting to see how many of them remain with their faith.

They did actually interview Madison (Janelle's eldest daughter), around the time Robyn was coming into the family, about what she thought about possibly being in a polygamous marriage when she grew up. She straight-up looked at the interviewer like they were crazy and said there was no way she was sharing her future husband with anyone. Their faith doesn't seem to force polygamy on those who are unwilling, so I don't think it'd be a problem if the kids choose to stay in the faith and just not practice polygamy (unless, maybe, the kid in question starts talking about how polgyamy is a sin and whatnot, but that's a lot different than "polygamy just isn't for me")

They did actually interview Madison

Oh, I remember that! Yes, Madison does seem to not be that thrilled with the idea of becoming a sister wife. But wasn't she a little less certain when they went to that college to speak to some class? The parents spoke first and then the teens were brought out. I kind of remember thinking that all of them were not sure yet. But I do recall Madison being the most against being a sister wife now, and Mariah the most in favor. I wonder if one particular wife will have more children leave or stay?

Oh, I remember that! Yes, Madison does seem to not be that thrilled with the idea of becoming a sister wife. But wasn't she a little less certain when they went to that college to speak to some class? The parents spoke first and then the teens were brought out. I kind of remember thinking that all of them were not sure yet. But I do recall Madison being the most against being a sister wife now, and Mariah the most in favor. I wonder if one particular wife will have more children leave or stay?

I didn't see the part where they talked to a college class (I haven't watched since the episode where Truely was born) It's possible Madison changed her mind in between her "no sister wife-ing for me!" interview and speaking with the class. Or she could have just felt intimidated/protective about speaking in front of people about her family's lifestyle (maybe she thought it would reflect badly on her parents' beliefs if she was like "there's no way in hell I'm ever going to share my man"?)

I do wonder how many kids are going to stay in the lifestyle and I'm not sure who the mother is would make a difference. I could see children from Meri or Robyn (the ones who seem most into the polygamy thing) rebelling from their parents' beliefs. On the other hand, Janelle's kids (Janelle being the least into the lifestyle, as far as I can tell) may stay in the polygamous life just because Janelle seems the most "live and let live" of all the wives. One thing I'm curious about is that, even though Meri introduced and pushed for Cody to marry Robyn (which I believe they're actually telling the truth about), she did seem the most hurt by him taking a new wife. When I was a kid/teen (and even now), I was very protective of my mother. I would think that seeing how devastated Meri was by the introduction of a new sister wife would have turned her daughter off the lifestyle. Then again, religious beliefs aren't always logical and Meri & Christine & Janelle seemed to get along fine as sister wives before Robyn came along.

They did actually interview Madison (Janelle's eldest daughter), around the time Robyn was coming into the family, about what she thought about possibly being in a polygamous marriage when she grew up. She straight-up looked at the interviewer like they were crazy and said there was no way she was sharing her future husband with anyone. Their faith doesn't seem to force polygamy on those who are unwilling, so I don't think it'd be a problem if the kids choose to stay in the faith and just not practice polygamy (unless, maybe, the kid in question starts talking about how polgyamy is a sin and whatnot, but that's a lot different than "polygamy just isn't for me")

I don't think that's entirely true. The Browns might not push polygamy on an unwilling child but I was under the impression that the FLDS leadership does push polygamy on unwilling girls (not too sure about the AUB though.)

I don't think that's entirely true. The Browns might not push polygamy on an unwilling child but I was under the impression that the FLDS leadership does push polygamy on unwilling girls (not too sure about the AUB though.)

The Browns aren't FLDS, so I wouldn't consider them the same faith (other than over-arching Mormonism) Kinda how Catholics, Pentacostals, and Angelicans aren't really the same faith, other than under the big "Christianity" umbrella.

What's most telling to me is that the Brown kids dress how they like, wear their hair how they like, and complain openly about things that are bothering them.

When would we ever see Jinger or Jill with short, dyed-black hair like Madison? Or tight jeans and cute knee-high boots like Mykelti once wore?

The Browns are Apostolic United Brethren, and do believe that plural marriage is essential for a higher reward in the afterlife, but they are separate from FLDS. AUB are more lax when it comes to alcohol, caffeine etc and obviously when it comes to women being educated and having careers - but doctrine when it comes to plural marriage appears the same.

What's most telling to me is that the Brown kids dress how they like, wear their hair how they like, and complain openly about things that are bothering them.

When would we ever see Jinger or Jill with short, dyed-black hair like Madison? Or tight jeans and cute knee-high boots like Mykelti once wore?

They do have more freedom than the Duggars. That does not necessarily mean they're perfect people who are 100% honest with the cameras.

They do have more freedom than the Duggars. That does not necessarily mean they're perfect people who are 100% honest with the cameras.

I was not aware that anyone on this thread had said they were.

I was not aware that anyone on this thread had said they were.

I said they weren't and then people started arguing with me about how they were different than the Duggars. I didn't mean to imply that they were the same exact religion as the Duggars, just that they (to me!) appear to be like the Duggars in the sense that they look "harmless" but probably aren't to some extent.

I am willing to believe that I misinterpreted some of the things Christine said because so many people heard it another way. I'm willing to believe that right at this very moment I have some kind of weird ass persecution complex where nobody really is arguing with me directly but I think they are. I'm in a weird place today.

I said they weren't and then people started arguing with me about how they were different than the Duggars. I didn't mean to imply that they were the same exact religion as the Duggars, just that they (to me!) appear to be like the Duggars in the sense that they look "harmless" but probably aren't to some extent.

I am willing to believe that I misinterpreted some of the things Christine said because so many people heard it another way. I'm willing to believe that right at this very moment I have some kind of weird ass persecution complex where nobody really is arguing with me directly but I think they are. I'm in a weird place today.

People saying that the Browns are not as harmful as the Duggars does not equal "the Browns are 100% perfect people who never lie on-camera". Can you at least see that much?

If you google "almost heaven honeydawn" you will find a satirical blog written by a woman who left the AUB.

Although it is satire (and very amusing satire at that), it gives a good insight into the beliefs of the group the Browns belong to.

If what they are presenting on the show is accurate they are the very very liberal fringe of organized fundamentalist mormonism.

Given that Kody was given permission to take a new wife at the beginning of the show I think it is more like they are deliberately presenting a more mainstream image with the blessing of their much more extreme church to further the cause of legalizing polygamy.

People saying that the Browns are not as harmful as the Duggars does not equal "the Browns are 100% perfect people who never lie on-camera". Can you at least see that much?

Honestly probably tomorrow. I'll probably be very embarrassed at my stupidity in a few days you know?

I guess the new season is starting soon--teasers show Christine telling Kody she doesn't think he wants to be with her and him making some odd face like a first-year acting student deciding what emotion he's supposed to convey.

How many people are in this group? Aren't they going to start inbreeding pretty soon? I read somewhere that Janelle was once married to Meri's brother and that Christine and Robyn's first husband are first cousins? If Kody's kids stay in "the faith," will they end up marrying close relations?

I used to like Meri but that's wearing thin. Janelle and Christine should move out together so Janelle can have her career and Christine can manage the house, and they should go to court to make the Kodester get off his arrogant behind and pay child support.

If you google "almost heaven honeydawn" you will find a satirical blog written by a woman who left the AUB.

Although it is satire (and very amusing satire at that), it gives a good insight into the beliefs of the group the Browns belong to.

If what they are presenting on the show is accurate they are the very very liberal fringe of organized fundamentalist mormonism.

Given that Kody was given permission to take a new wife at the beginning of the show I think it is more like they are deliberately presenting a more mainstream image with the blessing of their much more extreme church to further the cause of legalizing polygamy.

I took a brief look around AHH and it appears to be a general satire of polygamy-practicing Mormonism (including tags for FLDS) I don't think it's specifically AUB. I also noticed the Browns don't practice at least one big issue I have with groups liike the FLDS and the Duggars. AHH mentions homeschooling your kids and not letting the "evil government" brainwash them, but we know the Browns allow their kids to go to public school.

I used to like Meri but that's wearing thin. Janelle and Christine should move out together so Janelle can have her career and Christine can manage the house, and they should go to court to make the Kodester get off his arrogant behind and pay child support.

I think this would end in fiery disaster. Janelle comes off as thinking the Christine is an idiot (she sometimes gets a look on her face when Christine is talking, like "What is this dumbass going on about?"), while Christine comes across as thinking Janelle is too independent (she seems way more into the "women should stay home as a submissive wife/mother" thing than anyone else (besides maybe Robyn)) I think Meri kind of softens the rough edges and is the one that keeps those two from killing each other (she's intelligent like Janelle but far more indulgent and patient with Christine's craziness)

Janelle and Christine struck me as a bit of a tag-team - Christine was the "wife" at home who enabled Janelle to go out and work.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone see the premiere last night? I dont see a thread on it... It was shockingly boring. Theyre looking to build a compound, yay. The kids are going to go to college soon, yay. Its christmas... um... its may...

Archived