IGNORED

The Duggars and glasses?

Guest LilaFowler

I thought Michelle bragged at one point that nobody wore glasses. Since vision is genetic it make sense that one family could have really good vision.

Edited because Iwas distracted by my son and what I wrote didn't make sense.

I got glasses when I was seven and only put up with them until getting contacts when I was nine. Since then, I haven't worn glasses outside the house; I just hate the way they feel! I'm going to google now and make sure I'm a candidate for Lasik...

Does anyone other than me wonder if they weren't on TV if they would take those kids to get regular medical screening and wellness checks?

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the kids need glasses. Kids usually don't know to asked for glasses because they assume everyone sees the same way they do. They might not be aware that anything is blurry. I certainly wasn't when in the fourth grade a vision check-up required that I get a fairly hefty prescription. I thought my vision was great and I had adapted to doing things without it. I had regular annual eye care visists all from the time I was 3 or 4. In the course on a single year I went from 20/20 to embarawssingly blind and hadn't noticed a thing. That is one reason so many schools do eye exams at the beginning and mid way through the school year. If the parents took the kids to regular check-ups every year it wouldn't be an issue but that doesn't seem like it would be on the duggar radar until a kid was stumbling around.

Lol, I know exactly what you mean! When I was in 10th grade a made a new friend and then one day she was angry at me because every time she saw me in the hallway I just ignored her and never smiled or anything. It turns out that I just couldn't recognize her at the distance she could recognize me.

I got contacts that same year, and I vividly remember the training session where I practiced putting them in. There was a brick building out the window and across the street. When I put the contacts in, I could suddenly see the individual bricks! I knew my eyesight was a little blurry but I didn't realize how much better it actually could be.

I thought Michelle bragged at one point that nobody wore glasses. Since vision is genetic it make sense that one family could have really good vision.

Edited because Iwas distracted by my son and what I wrote didn't make sense.

It's funny that she would brag about good eyesight when the kids have consistently bad dental check-ups. I realize that cavities are somewhat genetic because of saliva composition, but I think you have more control over oral health than eyesight. It seems like you should be more proud about things that you can control rather than luck of the genetic lottery. But she blames the cavities on bad genes while taking pride in something she has no control over.

Lol, I know exactly what you mean! When I was in 10th grade a made a new friend and then one day she was angry at me because every time she saw me in the hallway I just ignored her and never smiled or anything. It turns out that I just couldn't recognize her at the distance she could recognize me.

I got contacts that same year, and I vividly remember the training session where I practiced putting them in. There was a brick building out the window and across the street. When I put the contacts in, I could suddenly see the individual bricks! I knew my eyesight was a little blurry but I didn't realize how much better it actually could be.

Haha! This reminds me of when I got my glasses at age 9; we were driving home and I kept commenting on how there were lines on building and roofs. My Mom said she felt like a horrible mother for never noticing that I couldn't see.

My friend didn't realize she needed glasses until she was chasing a friend through the house and picked the wrong door (she saw 2 of everything) and broke her nose on the doorway.

I have contacts and that happens to me fairly often. Damn astigmatism. My vision's corrected fine but no contacts fit just right so they go weird sometimes and everything gets fuzzy. It's easiest to just look down if I see people at work at a distance and not give myself a chance to end up staring blankly trying to recognize them. Glasses drive me crazy though.

On topic, I really hope the pediatrician the kids see is extra careful about vision and hearing screenings since they aren't getting them through the schools.

Good point. I forget about all the things the evil school system does that the kids miss out on. But at least all of them who are of driving age have to pass the vision test at the license branch. Not that it's a thorough exam, but I don't think you could pass it if your vision was all that bad.

Plus, I assume they go to the pediatrician for well-child visits. Our kid's vision was tested for the first time at 6 months (or at least they attempted to test her vision and she wanted nothing to do with the electrodes they had to put on her head!). It's pretty standard now for pediatricians to check vision at least a few times before a child reaches school age.

I've needed vision correction since I was 5 and Mr. Bug has worn glasses since he was 7 - Baby Bug and any of our future kids are basically destined for nearsightedness (and orthodontia, but I digress). They found my need for glasses when I was in school and my teacher noticed that I held books really close to my face to read. My parents felt so bad for not noticing that I was blind as a bat.

I wear predominantly contacts but have given serious thought to Lasik. I'm waiting until we're done having babies and I'm done breastfeeding, though.

Plus, I assume they go to the pediatrician for well-child visits. Our kid's vision was tested for the first time at 6 months (or at least they attempted to test her vision and she wanted nothing to do with the electrodes they had to put on her head!). It's pretty standard now for pediatricians to check vision at least a few times before a child reaches school age.

I don't know. I am not at all sure they get those well-child visits. I think that there are a number of measures of pediatric care that they're probably missing out on.

I got my first pair of glasses at five. I actually figured out that I couldn't see, when I was on a walk with my family. I had contacts as a teen, but went back to glasses at 19. Even with a severe prescription, I feel better with 'em than with contacts!

After years of no vision coverage I started ordering from zenni optical online, and my costs went from $400 for a new pair of specs to $40. So even if Mrs. Keller had a severe prescription, she could update to something a bit more stylish for not a lot of money!

LASIK was seriously one of the best decisions I ever made. You don't think it will be that big of a deal, but it literally changed the way I saw. Everything was sharp, in focus, clear like never before. THey have this new technology that I don't understand at all, but anyway, it literally corrects your vision so that you have the optimum eyesight that most people who don't need glasses don't even have. And with glasses I used to get headaches if I read for several hours at a time... totally went away after LASIK, which was a big deal in law school. My side effects were super minimal -- dry eyes for about two months and the dryness wasn't even that bothersome. Surgery took three minutes, the after surgery pain wasn't even really pain -- just felt like sand was in my eyes for a day or two.

I realize not everyone has the most optimal outcome with LASIK, but if you're curious, I can't recommend getting more information enough.

I've been asking about Lasik since I started high school, but I'm afraid that my eyesight is too bad, based on "Am I a Good Candidate" quizzes I've taken online. Hopefully I'm getting old enough now so that I even out and stop changing every year.

The other question is, if they DO need glasses, are they even going to get checked? Even though my parents have insurance, they don't get the kids' eyes checked until they screw up. (Like, I freaked my mom out because it was night and I couldn't see the line between lanes and turned into the wrong lane.)

Haha! This reminds me of when I got my glasses at age 9; we were driving home and I kept commenting on how there were lines on building and roofs. My Mom said she felt like a horrible mother for never noticing that I couldn't see.

Same, same, same. I spent weeks saying, "Look! The spinning vent on that house! I can SEE it!" "There are leaves on that tree! I can see them! I can see the LEAVES! From HERE!" My mother had her face in her hands from five minutes into the vision test. Poor thing :( And, point to homeschooling (or at least, not from it) - I was in a normal school, pretty terrible vision, and none of the teachers informed my parents.

For the same reason that your mother didn't notice your eyesight issues, the Duggar parents might not pick up on the signs the way school officials might. The Duggar children aren't staring at a blackboard like most school aged children, and there isn't an educated teacher standing in front of the blackboard who is experienced in observing which children seem to be having trouble seeing.

Guest LilaFowler
I wouldn't be surprised if some of the kids need glasses. Kids usually don't know to asked for glasses because they assume everyone sees the same way they do. They might not be aware that anything is blurry. I certainly wasn't when in the fourth grade a vision check-up required that I get a fairly hefty prescription. I thought my vision was great and I had adapted to doing things without it. I had regular annual eye care visists all from the time I was 3 or 4. In the course on a single year I went from 20/20 to embarawssingly blind and hadn't noticed a thing. That is one reason so many schools do eye exams at the beginning and mid way through the school year. If the parents took the kids to regular check-ups every year it wouldn't be an issue but that doesn't seem like it would be on the duggar radar until a kid was stumbling around.

I remember being 4 and 5 and people telling me not to sit so close to the TV. I remember being in kindergarten and having to squint to see the chalkboard. I didn't get glasses until I was in 5th grade.

Same, same, same. I spent weeks saying, "Look! The spinning vent on that house! I can SEE it!" "There are leaves on that tree! I can see them! I can see the LEAVES! From HERE!" My mother had her face in her hands from five minutes into the vision test. Poor thing :( And, point to homeschooling (or at least, not from it) - I was in a normal school, pretty terrible vision, and none of the teachers informed my parents.

I hope I didn't give the wrong impression about my parents. My mom was diligent about all of my health things. I remember hoping that she would forget about the dentist (I hated that fluoride foam) but she used to always schedule the next visit at the end of each visit. Yes, she scheduled the appointments 6 months in advance. And we had eye exams once per year too. My eyesight just really deteriorated that fast. One year I was fine, the next year I couldn't make out the individual bricks on a wall. But even though a year seems fast, it was still gradual enough that I didn't notice the change.

The weird thing though is that I wonder why my mom never got my hearing tested when I was a kid. When I discovered closed captioning, I had to have it on whenever we watched anything. I had a history of ear infections so I'm surprised she never worried about that. I wasn't actually hearing impaired and I actually just had a lot of trouble hearing and concentrating over the sounds of a normal family, and I stopped doing it as soon as I started living alone. But it still should have seemed weird enough to get checked out.

I know I read an article a few years ago, they qwere bragging because only one child wore glasses... I'm pretty sure it was one of the middle boys.

Archived