IGNORED

Any Doctor Who fans?

Guest Member456

I never quite got over Christopher Eccleston leaving, I watched David Tennant's stories wondering how Christopher Eccleston would have played it........I've watched some of Matt Smith, but I haven't enjoyed many of the stories this time around so I've stopped being a Dr Who fan and drifted into being mildly interested!

And yes I cried like a girlie at the end of " Human Nature" ( as did my husband!) I also blew my nose rather a lot at the end of " The Empty Child"

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in the middle of season 4 so I haven't had much exposure to the 11th doctor. When my dau and son in law came for Christmas he put on the Christmas special (the one that was a take on the Christmas Carol) and that's what got me interested in watching the series from the beginning. I wasn't sure I liked him, but maybe he'll grow on me like Tennant did. I do still wish Christopher was on the show.

What I liked about Eccleston (Nine) was that he was mature. We were shocked when he left.

Tennant (Ten) is my favorite doctor, he brought some boyhood charm along with enough maturity. He also played opposite several companions, which isn't always so easy as an actor. When Ten.2 emerged and left with the other Rose, it was neat because I always wanted them to be "together". I know that Tennant left mostly because RTD left, but it left me devastated.

Matt Smith (Eleven) - I just don't "trust" him as Doctor. The actor is fine, but he's almost too whimsical. I feel like he's channeling Willa Wonka at times. It also bugs me is the way Eleven's story is told - the companion (Amy) narrates the beginning. It's not about the companion. It never was, even when Sara Jane was the companion. I don't see any growth in Eleven at all, even after nearly destroying all of space and time.

Who besides me doesn't like the Christmas and Easter specials at all? They are always these weird stand-alone stories.

The companion only narrates the beginning in the non-UK syndicated versions (like in the US and Australia). In the original form it's the same opening as ever, with no intro. I guess they thought it would be an easy way to introduce new viewers (like the beginning of the rebooted Battlestar: Galactica) but it drives me nuts.

Eccleston was my favorite doctor until Smith. However, I've also got a fondness for the 5th Doctor, and the 3rd, and, well, everyone loves Tom Baker, too.

I lost a lot of respect for him after he left DW over John Barrowman's homosexuality/Jack Harkness

I did read that he left because of " internal politics" but I didn't think that had anything to do with John Barrowman's homosexuality? Can you tell me more?

I loved Christopher Eccleston as Dr Who, he's the only doctor that hinted at a hidden darkness, and I really liked that interpretation.

I lost a lot of respect for him after he left DW over John Barrowman's homosexuality/Jack Harkness

Can you provide links on that? Everything I read after his exit was that he was unhappy with the taxing shooting schedules, etc; he was not pleased with some of the "sillier" story-lines, and he was concerned about being typecast if he stayed.

I have a hard time believing that Eccleston's homophobic, I have read a couple interviews with him where he mentioned auditioning for "Queer as Folk" but then pulling himself out of the running because he felt he was too old for the role.

• 2 weeks later...

I must have missed this- Eccleston left over John Barrowman being gay and as Jack Harkness? Do tell, please! I love Torchwood too and just caught Naoko Mori on the new episode of AB-Fab where she plays Saffy's friend.... Blink, Empty Child and Family of Man, etc . are great stories, and I did tear up at the thought of 10th Doctor being able to love and remain human....

• 1 month later...
:geek: I'm anxiously awaiting the next season. Huge fan of #10, still not sure about #11 yet.

I still adore David Tennant as the Doctor, however.... I have loved the Amy/Rory/River/Doctor stories the best. Both Amy and River kick ass. I think my favorite episode was The Girl Who Waited.

I am so bummed that Amy & Rory are leaving this season.

I am so bummed that Amy & Rory are leaving this season.

Are they leaving mid season or are they starting with the new companion?

I lost my love for Eccleston when he left over being "uncomfortable" with the bisexuality of Jack Harkness

Ack, I heard that as well, what a Dolt.

I miss seeing in Jack in something! No recent Torchwood, not in Doctor Who. I was waiting for him to come and help #11 him in "A Good Man Goes to War". He was calling everyone else, why not Jack? I would love to see him with #11. And Riversong, those two would flirt now wouldn't they?

Are they leaving mid season or are they starting with the new companion?

Apparently, they're leaving mid-season. :( I never quite connected to Amy, but I was bummed hearing that she was leaving. Rose, Martha and Donna were much more relatable for me, and I wanted to like Amy, but always felt that she was overshadowed by River, so I ever really got to know her.

Oh well, but then I also think that DT was the best doctor. And I loved Martha, so that makes me an anomaly, I guess. ;)

Check the icon- of course I'm a fan.

Rory and Donna are tied for my fav. companions (I'd trade my first born child to see the two of them traveling together with the Doctor) Matt Smith is so my Doctor. There's just something about a half-manic-genius, half-doddering-old-man with an occasionally surfacing shotgun blast of self-hatred that makes me love 11.

I was a Whovian back in the Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker days when they'd air the show on UNC TV. Two of my girls and their husbands have become fans of the newer stuff on BBC America. One of my sons-in-law has a Dalek app on his phone that my granddaughter likes to play with.

I recall lots of knitting patterns for Dr Who ala Tom Baker scarves.

I quite like Eleven, though he isn't one of my favourite Doctors, and I love the pants off of Rory, but I'm a bit bored of Amy now and I find River a bit too unrealistic, but the great thing about DW is that if the current episodes aren't your cup of tea, there is probably something in the catalogue to sustain your addiction.

• 3 weeks later...

I love me some Doctor Who. I got this shirt a few weeks ago and it makes me smile every time I see it :D

00369452-850684_catl_600.jpg?k=add661d9&pid=369452&s=catl&sn=nbcuniversalstore

I love it, and frankly I wear it far too much but I just don't care.

Don't blame you. That is a seriously cool tee, and my birthday wish-list sorted out. :)

Can't embed for the life of me, so I'll just leave this here. Enjoy.

I have just gotten into Dr. Who. I've been watching the reruns on BBC America. I started watching it when Christopher Eccleston was the doctor. So far, Rose has been my favorite assistant for Doctor Who.

• 2 weeks later...

We got hooked on the show last year. Well, I think my husband had seen some of the older stuff years ago, but we were newbs when it came to the reboot. We've seen all of #11's epidsodes (except his first Christmas special...does anyone know where we can watch it?), all of #9, and are working our way through #10. Can't say I have a favorite Doctor; I think they are all great in their own way. I'm not looking forward to seeing Amy and Rory leave since I've heard that it's supposed to be tragic. I'd like to see them go off and live their own lives and live happily ever after. :cry:

No, no, no! I cannot do tragic. I just want them to get their happily ever after!

Archived