IGNORED

Any Doctor Who fans?

Guest Member456

So we just exhausted our episodes of the most recent Dr on Netflix and don't have cable so is there anyplace we can watch the new ones online or do we have to wait for it to come to Netflix???

This is the first season I've ever seen and I'm LOVING IT!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm too young to know the old stuff, but I've watched all the newer seasons. I want to watch the old stuff, but it's really hard to find. Sigh. Also, Matt Smith is my Doctor - although I loved Eccleston. Didn't love Tennant as much, but liked him well enough. Also, the season finale made me so sad, but then deliriously happy. I assume y'all have seen it.

ETA: I've finally made it back up to Born to be Plaid! Although, I was a Frumper Lover before the Great Rapture :lol:

Ohhh....I am obsessed. I was resistant for so long, and finally got cajoled into watching the reboot with Christopher Eccleston. And then I was absolutely hooked.

If I had to pick, David Tennant would be my Doctor, mainly because he wins on the espisodes I want to re-watch the most.

My faves:

Blink-creeped me the hell out

Doomsday and the Family of Blood-oh, I wept like a sad little panda.

• 3 weeks later...

*Sneaks into thread*

I like me some sci-fi but am embarrassed to admit I know darn little about Doctor Who. I've heard friends rant and rave about it and I'd like to get 'stuck in'. So... where do I start? Tips? :oops:

Thanks!

*Slinks back into the shadows*

It was off for decades (barring one embarrassing movie), and the reboot's only had six seasons. I guess that's a lot, so if you don't want to start at the new 'season one', you could start at the new 'season five'. The last two seasons are a bit more separated from the ones that came before.

(I say reboot, but it is meant to be a continuation - just one that you can come in new on.)

Thanks, Patsy.

So it's not essential to see the old stuff first? Was the old stuff a movie, a series or both?

Do you suggest starting at season one?

What's the basic premise of the show? The guy is some kind of a time traveler, right?

Thanks!

There was a decades-running series first, a gap (about a decade) then a pretty poor made-for-TV movie, a gap (about a decade) then the new series. It's impossible to watch the entirety of the first run, because a lot of the episodes were never backed up, or the tapes were trashed, and a lot of the ones left over are never shown on re-runs or otherwise distributed - you'd have to look into downloading a lot of old episodes online, and I'm assuming some of the 'rare' ones would be poor quality, anyway.

So for obvious reasons, a lot of viewers have seen none of the old stuff, or very little. You absolutely don't need to be familiar with it to get the show (or else they'd have been building something only accessible to 50s+ viewers and very dedicated newer fans.) The new run's pretty different anyway. It has a much larger budget, hour-long episodes, and storylines that at least half of the time, are over in only one episode.

Oh, and... he's a really old alien whose species has the convenient power of shapeshifting to temporarily avoid death, which results in multiple actors playing him. He travels in time, and space, in order (for the audience) to learn things about history but mostly run around making wacky faces and occasionally moralising about something.

There was a decades-running series first, a gap (about a decade) then a pretty poor made-for-TV movie, a gap (about a decade) then the new series. It's impossible to watch the entirety of the first run, because a lot of the episodes were never backed up, or the tapes were trashed, and a lot of the ones left over are never shown on re-runs or otherwise distributed - you'd have to look into downloading a lot of old episodes online, and I'm assuming some of the 'rare' ones would be poor quality, anyway.

So for obvious reasons, a lot of viewers have seen none of the old stuff, or very little. You absolutely don't need to be familiar with it to get the show (or else they'd have been building something only accessible to 50s+ viewers and very dedicated newer fans.) The new run's pretty different anyway. It has a much larger budget, hour-long episodes, and storylines that at least half of the time, are over in only one episode.

Oh, and... he's a really old alien whose species has the convenient power of shapeshifting to temporarily avoid death, which results in multiple actors playing him. He travels in time, and space, in order (for the audience) to learn things about history but mostly run around making wacky faces and occasionally moralising about something.

Thanks Patsy! Yeah, that is pretty much what I thought. Wow. I love history AND sci-fi so I should definitely get stuck in. I now know what I shall ask for Chanukkah ;)

• 2 months later...

A friend got me interested in the new Dr. Who series so I've been catching up on the show via Netflix. I really hated that Christopher was gone after the first season. I totally fell in love with him.

So I decided to see if there were any movies on Netflix I could watch with him as star. There's a really good one with him and Kate Winslet. It's called Jude. Anyone else seen it? It's totally depressing, but I love the sex scenes with him. There are 3 (well 4 if you count the scene in the barn) and one that doesn't leave much to the imagination. He has a great "bum" that's for sure. I would've loved to have done that scene with him - totally defrauding.

Guest Anonymous

:D He is delicious, isn't he? I rather took to him when he was in Cracker in the early 90s and only watched Dr Who because he was the Doctor.

His stuff is listed on wiki, but I don't know much about netflix.

:D He is delicious, isn't he? I rather took to him when he was in Cracker in the early 90s and only watched Dr Who because he was the Doctor.

His stuff is listed on wiki, but I don't know much about netflix.

Yes, delicious is the right word. His sensitive portrayal of Jude is really heart breaking. At one point he lies in bed sobbing because Sue told him she didn't love him.

I wonder how much of what he appeared in is available in the states. In looking at IMDB it looks like he's mostly in British shows, but then again I just discovered him and haven't had time to explore what's available on this side of the pond.

A friend got me interested in the new Dr. Who series so I've been catching up on the show via Netflix. I really hated that Christopher was gone after the first season. I totally fell in love with him.

So I decided to see if there were any movies on Netflix I could watch with him as star. There's a really good one with him and Kate Winslet. It's called Jude. Anyone else seen it? It's totally depressing, but I love the sex scenes with him. There are 3 (well 4 if you count the scene in the barn) and one that doesn't leave much to the imagination. He has a great "bum" that's for sure. I would've loved to have done that scene with him - totally defrauding.

Jude is a great film and I love the scene where 10th Doctor David Tennant verbally jousts with Eccleston/Jude in a tavern about the real meaning of intelligence. Other Eccelston films you may enjoy: A Price Above Rubies, with Julianna Margolies, Renee Zellweger and others plus 28 Days later, - he's the General.

Jude is a great film and I love the scene where 10th Doctor David Tennant verbally jousts with Eccleston/Jude in a tavern about the real meaning of intelligence. Other Eccelston films you may enjoy: A Price Above Rubies, with Julianna Margolies, Renee Zellweger and others plus 28 Days later, - he's the General.

I have been searching for Jude! We went to Netflix DVD only and I saw it wasn't available. We found it on Youtube, but it's incomplete. Anyway, I got clever and asked my Netflix friend who has instant streaming to check for me and sure enough, it's there. So I'm going to have to get instant streaming again to watch it.

Jude is a very depressing film, but one I'd like to see again and share with my husband, as we are both Winslet and Eccleston fans. Oh, he is wonderful in Elizabeth and in my opinion, simply gorgeous in that film. I'm also interested in A Price Above Rubies.

That man is my doctor, Rose is my girl, and throw in a Dalek and K9 and I'm a happy woman.

I love Eccleston, but I couldn't handle him in Jude (and also was bored to death). I think his Dr. Who confidence and self-assuredness is what is attractive to me.

I have been searching for Jude! We went to Netflix DVD only and I saw it wasn't available. We found it on Youtube, but it's incomplete. Anyway, I got clever and asked my Netflix friend who has instant streaming to check for me and sure enough, it's there. So I'm going to have to get instant streaming again to watch it.

Jude is a very depressing film, but one I'd like to see again and share with my husband, as we are both Winslet and Eccleston fans. Oh, he is wonderful in Elizabeth and in my opinion, simply gorgeous in that film. I'm also interested in A Price Above Rubies.

That man is my doctor, Rose is my girl, and throw in a Dalek and K9 and I'm a happy woman.

I saw Jude on Netflix streaming. You're right, it is very depressing. I only watched it because of Christopher, but when it was over I thought, "My God, what a downer of a movie." Jude was such a tragic figure that you couldn't help but ache for something to go right for him. And yes, he was very gorgeous in that movie.

Almost Quiverfull, I felt exactly the same way about having him leave after just one season. But, David Tennant totally grew on me ;)

A great earlier Christopher Eccleston film is "Shallow Grave": http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111149/

-also has Ewan McGregor, lovelovelove.

I felt the same way. I was disappointed at first that Christopher left, but David Tennant is really starting to grow on me. I'm still catching up on the series. I'm about in the middle of the 3rd season. I really like Martha. In a way I like her more than Rose.

Edited to add a comment:

@ Fancypants, you said "I love Eccleston, but I couldn't handle him in Jude (and also was bored to death). I think his Dr. Who confidence and self-assuredness is what is attractive to me."

I agree. His Dr. Who confidence and self-assuredness is very attractive.

Christopher Eccleston is my favourite doctor....he is the only doctor that I have totally believed in, he was compelling, charming and totally alien :D

My dh saw the tv series " Our Friends in the North" which I think he watched in installments on youtube, it features a younger Christopher Eccleston, and we watched " The Borrowers" on BBC1 over Christmas ( great childrens story and Christopher Eccleston played the father figure)

Eccleston was my first Doctor, and you know what they say... Not that I don't love the others.

He had a small part in The Others, and was the lead in Lennon Naked. Kind of depressing, but interesting.

ETA: thinking about watching Shallow Grave. Eccleston AND McGregor? I'm not sure I can resist.

What I liked about Eccleston (Nine) was that he was mature. We were shocked when he left.

Tennant (Ten) is my favorite doctor, he brought some boyhood charm along with enough maturity. He also played opposite several companions, which isn't always so easy as an actor. When Ten.2 emerged and left with the other Rose, it was neat because I always wanted them to be "together". I know that Tennant left mostly because RTD left, but it left me devastated.

Matt Smith (Eleven) - I just don't "trust" him as Doctor. The actor is fine, but he's almost too whimsical. I feel like he's channeling Willa Wonka at times. It also bugs me is the way Eleven's story is told - the companion (Amy) narrates the beginning. It's not about the companion. It never was, even when Sara Jane was the companion. I don't see any growth in Eleven at all, even after nearly destroying all of space and time.

Who besides me doesn't like the Christmas and Easter specials at all? They are always these weird stand-alone stories.

Tennant (Ten) is my favorite doctor, he brought some boyhood charm along with enough maturity.

Who besides me doesn't like the Christmas and Easter specials at all? They are always these weird stand-alone stories.

AGREED. After getting over Eccleston leaving, Tennant became my fave pretty quickly. Plus, he's in 2 of my all-time fave episodes: "Blink" and "Human Nature" (if anyone else wept like a little girl during that one, please let me know, so I don't feel like such a sap.

Also, ITA with you about the holiday specials. They always feel so disjointed to me.

Archived