IGNORED

Any Doctor Who fans?

Guest Member456

Just now, church_of_dog said:

Thanks @Destiny!  I think I will do as you suggest!

Genesis of the Daleks is the fourth serial of the twelfth season of Classic. I won't spoil it, but a decision that Four makes then makes the rest of New!Who so poignant imho.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't think of David Tennant without thinking 'JESSICAAAAAA'.

• 1 month later...

I’ve been doing as @Destiny suggested in order to get up to speed — watched “Genesis of the Daleks” and then jumped to “Rose” at the beginning of the ninth doctor.  

I’m now 4 episodes into the David Tennant era, and enjoying it!

I watch about one a day (on the treadmill — today got through two!) and will also continue working my way through the older ones as I have time and as Netflix has them.

I wanted to be sure to report to @Palimpsest that today I finally met K-9! *  **  He is adorable!

* I know it’s not K-9’s first appearance in the show, but I haven’t seen the older ones yet.

** I also know K-9 is not the same as cake-9...

Genesis of the Daleks makes the journey that Nine and Ten make to coming to terms with the time war all the more impactful.

I loved School Reunion. The only episode of series two I didn’t like was Girl in the Fireplace. I can rant for hours on everhing that’s wrong with that cluster, but it mostly comes down to Moffat sucks lol.

I am also a Dr. Who fan! I hope that the new Dr. will be taken seriously and not judged solely on gender. I liked Bill's acting, but found his accent hard to understand at times. Matt S. was good, but sometimes too irreverent. David T I liked, especially as the series progressed. Chris E. was one of my favorites. I feel he played the Dr a little angry and unpredictable, a total contrast to Matt S's jovial goofy Dr.

I too hope that the new Dr will be taken seriously! It's about high time that a woman gets to be the Doctor, IMHO.

Having said that, my favourite remains David Tennant. No, I don't find him attractive. I just run around in Converse and long coats, making smart-ass remarks about everything and their great-uncle's turtle, all year long. So, I found him relatable. :)

He's my favourite so far. And was the highlight of watching "The Day of the Doctor" for me. The episode was... let's just say that I didn't appreciate the turns it took.

Garibaldi was fine for me as the Doctor, but Clara? Moffat really doesn't seem to know how to deal with female characters. It makes the series less enjoyable for me.

Russell T wrote solid, rounded characters (even for one episode appearances). Moffat is too busy with plot twists and “clever” nuances to write proper characters. And he has no idea about women. Bill was refreshing, but I wish he toned down the “hey I like girls” bit. It was really jarring. No lesbians I’ve ever met manage to work it into the conversation at every opportunity. It’s about as realistic as wandering about saying “I like chocolate ice cream” every time you open your mouth - ie irrelevant most of the time.

Russell T wrote solid, rounded characters (even for one episode appearances). Moffat is too busy with plot twists and “clever” nuances to write proper characters. And he has no idea about women. Bill was refreshing, but I wish he toned down the “hey I like girls” bit. It was really jarring. No lesbians I’ve ever met manage to work it into the conversation at every opportunity. It’s about as realistic as wandering about saying “I like chocolate ice cream” every time you open your mouth - ie irrelevant most of the time.

Wherein blah explains why I hated the Moffat era in a nutshell.

I started rewatching Doctor Who. I quit the first time shortly after Amy Pond showed up and we got the bow tied doctor who I didn't care for. I really like Christopher Eccleston in the role and wish we had a few more good episodes with him. Also, the Slitheen really do belong on Sarah Jane Adventures, more so than Doctor Who. 

• 2 months later...

I have a terrible confession to make:  I fell sound asleep halfway through the Christmas Special.

So what happened to Bill's duplicate?

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

I have a terrible confession to make:  I fell sound asleep halfway through the Christmas Special.

So what happened to Bill's duplicate?

Can you watch it again online? How much did you see? Have put a spoiler box just in case you haven't caught up properly.

Spoiler

The duplicates are made by a benevolent group from the distant future who kidnap people from their timelines at the instant of death, and retrieve all their memories. The memories are stored but can be reactivated into a copy / transmission of that person. So Bill's and Nardole"s duplicates were

just sent back into storage I guess.

Thanks!  I'm going to try to watch a repeat.  I haven't find it online yet.  

Spoiler

I rather liked Bill.  She and Little Britain were two of the better companions so I was pissed off by what happened to them. 

@Palimpsest me too. I will miss Matt Lucas. I liked Bill but yet again, Moffatt’s stupid scripts (ie the constant reminder of her preferences) did the character no favours.

For a couple seconds the episode managed to melt my cold heart. Then I remembered that continuity exists and it was back to fuck you Moffat.

I liked Bill and have long been a fan of Peter. They both deserved better than they got.

• 11 months later...

Life long Doctor Who fan here. I'm proof it's possible to have a poster of Jon Pertwee on my study wall, and think Jodie Whittaker is amazingly good at the same time. 

What do people think of a crowd in the TARDIS?

On 12/22/2018 at 7:26 PM, Katzchen24 said:

What do people think of a crowd in the TARDIS?

Too many companions. I think storylines are too disjointed because everyone needs something do. Fully realised stories are not being done because too much is crammed in.

Case in point: the stupid giant spiders. Trap some in a room with music. End of story. Well how did they clean up the rest that were out in the world then? Oh, no time to explain. We'll just stop there.

Or the one with the pregnant man and the hero pilot woman. Too many people to keep track of so I ended up not caring about any of them.

Tldr. Too many people to give everyone a decent storyline each week. Didn't they trust Jodie to carry it off? 

BBCA is doing a marathon of the Christmas specials if anyone wants to watch. That said, I quit watching them and switched to my own copies because they criminally cut TCI.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived