IGNORED

Any Doctor Who fans?

Guest Member456

Guest Anonymous

I am a rabid Whovian. I loved Christopher Eccleston, and I thought I could never love anyone else as much as I loved him. Then David Tennant came along, and I loved him even harder. And you guessed it, now I'm head over heels for Matt Smith.

I do think that I'm happier with the show now that Steven Moffat is at the helm. I love the intricate detail, the story arcs that stretch across entire seasons, and the cohesiveness of it all.

The current season is so awesome I can hardly stand it. I get cold chills just thinking about Amy telling baby River the story of her dad, the Last Centurion. Rory is DARLING. Bowties are cool, but fezzes never will be.

Whovians unite!

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See, I miss the rotation of Metaplot and "Monster of the Week" episodes they had in previous seasons.

Massively, lifelong, rabid Whovian here. Christopher Eccleston is also MY doctor and I suspect always will be, even though I first started watching it as a wee one at the tender age of 4 when Jon Pertwee was at the helm. Matt Smith is growing on me much faster than David Tennant ever did, although I will admit to shedding a tear when the Tenth Doctor met his demise.

Total Whovian...Eccleston is absolutely my Doctor as I started with watching Nine. Love David Tennant and love the new season--whenever I'm home, Mama!Nocturne and I like to sit down and watch the newest episode.

Can. Not. Wait. For the second half of the season to begin.

September can't get here quick enough. I will admit the beginning of Demon's Run had me scared when Amy started talking about Melody's father being the last of his kind. I actually think I yelled dammit until she said he was the Last Centurion.

Matt Smith is the only Doctor I've seen. I know BBC America shows older Doctor Who episodes during the week but I'm usually not around when they're on.

September can't get here quick enough. I will admit the beginning of Demon's Run had me scared when Amy started talking about Melody's father being the last of his kind. I actually think I yelled dammit until she said he was the Last Centurion.

Matt Smith is the only Doctor I've seen. I know BBC America shows older Doctor Who episodes during the week but I'm usually not around when they're on.

If you have Netflix, all of the previous seasons are on there, and BBCA shows reruns in the evenings on Friday.

If you have Netflix, all of the previous seasons are on there, and BBCA shows reruns in the evenings on Friday.

Thanks. I'll have to check the Friday on BBCA episodes out.

I still haven't settled with Matt Smith yet. He's fun, and I've liked some storylines ('The Doctor's Wife' and the Christmas special were gorgeous), but I don't really accept him as being the Doctor, you know? I have to remind myself who he's meant to be :/

Not a fan of the last episode, as an episode. I'll wait to see how the revelations in it pan out before I rag on them :)

Has anyone seen much of the old episodes? I've seen a couple, but never watched tons in sequence or anything like that. I think people who did have a different perpsective on the character, having seen more of him.

Guest Anonymous
I still haven't settled with Matt Smith yet. He's fun, and I've liked some storylines ('The Doctor's Wife' and the Christmas special were gorgeous), but I don't really accept him as being the Doctor, you know? I have to remind myself who he's meant to be :/

The Doctor's Wife is one of my favorite episodes. I think they did a brilliant job casting Idris, and then she acted the hell out of the part. And I really like Neil Gaiman so having his fingerprints/aesthetic added in didn't hurt my feelings at all.

I just have to think "No, you're a bitey mad lady!" and I start giggling.

Massively, lifelong, rabid Whovian here. Christopher Eccleston is also MY doctor and I suspect always will be, even though I first started watching it as a wee one at the tender age of 4 when Jon Pertwee was at the helm. Matt Smith is growing on me much faster than David Tennant ever did, although I will admit to shedding a tear when the Tenth Doctor met his demise.

Eccleston 4-EVA!

I adore Doctor Who and all of its glory, but my best love is Torchwood. I can't help myself.

I lost my love for Eccleston when he left over being "uncomfortable" with the bisexuality of Jack Harkness.

It was big discussion on the TWoP boards many moons ago. Let me see if I can dig it up.

Guest Anonymous
I lost my love for Eccleston when he left over being "uncomfortable" with the bisexuality of Jack Harkness.

D'oh! That sucks, I had no idea. I hate it when actors or musicians that I like turn out to be douchebags IRL. I did kind of wonder why Eccleston only did the one season. I'm glad they let him go instead of changing Jack's character.

Oh, Jack. I'm not even sure bisexual covers it. Pansexual? At least he didn't want to bang a poodle. (I'm looking at you, John Hart.)

Gwen Cooper: I don't know anything.

Owen Harper: Not who he is, not where he's from, not anything. Except... him being gay.

Gwen Cooper: No he's not. really, do you think?

Toshiko Sato: Owen does, I don't.

Ianto Jones: And I don't care.

Owen Harper: Period military is not the dress code of a straight man.

Gwen Cooper: I think it suits him. Sort of classic.

Toshiko Sato: Exactly! I've watched him in action, he'll shag anything if it's gorgeous enough.

D'oh! That sucks, I had no idea. I hate it when actors or musicians that I like turn out to be douchebags IRL. I did kind of wonder why Eccleston only did the one season. I'm glad they let him go instead of changing Jack's character.

Oh, Jack. I'm not even sure bisexual covers it. Pansexual? At least he didn't want to bang a poodle. (I'm looking at you, John Hart.)

I'd just say "Sexual" and be done with it! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I LOVE Doctor Who!! :D Can't wait for series 6.2 to air!! LOVE Matt Smith, and love the Ponds, but David will always be my Doctor and Donna will forever be my favourite companion.

I am now trying to find download links to classic Who series but no luck :( I've never found out the ending to An Unearthly Child

I only watched the old version sporadically. It was a show I sort of wanted to get into, but felt so intimated by the number of seasons and the number of Doctors. I felt I would never catch up. I would watch episodes here and there with a rabid Whovian friend (she even had the long Tom Baker scarf). It's funny. I usually enjoyed it and didn't feel all that left out when I watched, but still couldn't bring myself to keep watching.

I have, however, been watching the latest series. DH decided to put it in the Netflix queue. We're up to Season 3, I think so it's still David Tenant. I was a little weirded out by his relationship with Rose Tyler I understand that it's fairly common for female human companions to fall in love with the Doctor, but is it all that common for him to return the sentiment the way he did with Rose? Past episodes had him having an almost paternal relationship with some of the women.

I was a little weirded out by his relationship with Rose Tyler I understand that it's fairly common for female human companions to fall in love with the Doctor, but is it all that common for him to return the sentiment the way he did with Rose? Past episodes had him having an almost paternal relationship with some of the women.

Interesting point you brought up.

I think Ten's relationship with his companions were interesting. We never see the Doctor seriously attempting a relationship with anyone, let alone a human companion, so it was interesting to see that with Rose. Before he regenerated, Rose was just another human child he took traveling with him, but after his regeneration, I think something in his personality changed and that was when he started to develop a deeper, non-paternal relationship with Rose. I think he saw her as a friend who he really cared about, but as always, with him being a Time Lord and her a human, he knew better than to express his interests in the manner Rose did. Which was why I also think when half-human Doctor was sent to live in the parallel universe after killing the Daleks, he was more than willing to leave it at that because now he could be with Rose without having to think about "the burden of a Time Lord" he'd always carried with him before.

With Donna it was like the Doctor's found his best friend and I don't think it's because the dynamic between David and Katherine Tate is excellent to begin with. The Doctor know that, with Donna, he can rely on her, trust her and really be confident that they can look out for each other. On the other hand, he knows that Donna is a human and like previous companions, cannot stay and travel with him forever. I think this was similar to his situation with Sarah Jane Smith, who he left (in Aberdeen by mistake, I still laugh at that, typical Doctor), knowing that as a Time Lord he knew he had to move on but being human, Sarah Jane couldn't, despite her attempts o convince him she'd be with him forever. This was also briefly discussed in the episode School Reunion (season 2 episode 3).

With Martha, however, it's noticeable that he was more like his previous incarnation, where he looks out for her in a kind of paternal way. His relationship with Martha almost reminds me of his relationship with Susan. What was interesting with the Martha series was the complications that Martha was in love with the Doctor but he remained very much paternal - though in a friendly way - towards her. And I think that was why she left on her own accord. This is also evident in Eleven's relationship with Amy. He had just regenerated when he met this seven-year-old girl home alone and, being a completely new person, he bonded easily with her. Which leads me to I believe the reason he has such hard time accepting the fact that Amy is now grown up is because he sees her the way he saw his own granddaughter and if you recall the classic series, the first Doctor was very protective of Susan. In a way, I think in a way, Eleven doesn't really want Amy to grow up because she's become not only his companion but, in a timey-wimey spacey-wacey way, his daughter. Seeing her being the adult drives him mad because I think he's worried that he's not able to protect her anymore - and as a result he turns into the child and depends on Rory to do his job for him.

/end essay. :oops:

Argh. I almost feel like I can't talk about Who here. I am a big fan - the husband was an old-school fan, so he made sure we started watching when it began airing in the UK again, back in 2006. Despite having had a healthy dose of *every* Doctor over the years, I consider Matt Smith *my* Doctor. I'm very opinionated about Who and in fact write articles for a few websites... but I feel like my fundie interest is separate from everything else, so... yeah. My brain hurts now.

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed the new episode, and it's going to be interesting to see how this season goes. I've been a Whovian since Tom Baker was the Doctor.

oooh ooh! I used to watch the old who sometimes, because I had friends who were into it. More of A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy gal, myself. But since the new Who started, it has been a regular ritual in our family. We always watch it together, even if someone is out of town we wait until we can all 3 be together. David Tennant is my fave Dr. by far, but I luuuurve Amy Pond, to the point of reconsidering the whole being straight thing.

Archived