IGNORED

Duck Dynasty

Whydoyouask

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We spent our Thanksgiving watching this. I was struck by how intelligent the family actually seems. They're pretty well spoken, twanginess aside. So, it turns out that the dad, Phil, went to Louisiana Tech and played football. When he quit his senior year, Terry Bradshaw (yes, that Terry Bradshaw) moved up into the starting QB spot. The dad was a teacher and actually got his Masters. Apparently, everyone in the family, but Si, went to college.

For anyone thinking that Willie and Korie are a little mismatched, I present their prom picture:

Willie_Robertson_wife_Duck_Dynasty.jpg

The boy cleaned up nice. Now I want to see Jase without the beard!

ETA: Found one of Jase with *less* beard.

Jase-Robertson-no-beard-almost.jpg

And here's one of all the brothers:

tumblr_mdtad90jvZ1ramzgzo1_1280.jpg

L to R: Alan, Jase, Willie, Jep

So when did the beards arrive? Were those added for the show? Those do not look like the same sort of people that are portrayed on the show.

There was one ep that they were going to an event that required them to wear suits, and that is when some of their educational backgrounds, etc came out.

It was sort of funny episode because it was pretty clear that none of the brothers were really comfortable in the suit - you sort of got the feeling that at some point they just all collectively went "you know, we tried the whole clean cut thing, and screw it, its not us."

I started watching the show one night when I was at the gym and next think I knew I had spent an extra hour on cardio (and then I went home and made my husband watch it, bc yes, this could be his family, except they have more money and are nicer to each other)

Guest Anonymous

I love this show too! Those old pics of them are great! They are good looking guys under all that facial hair. Who woulda guessed?

I am obsessed with this show! I describe it to friends as "if the cast of Swamp People became millionaires." (Swamp People was clearly my Louisiana gateway drug.) If I only I could get Jase & Si to provide commentary on my life. We'd be golden.

Some quick googling revealed that Alan is stepping down from being a minister (at the same church where Phil is an "elder") in order to help with the family business. It'll be interesting to see if he is just there for business purposes or if he will appear on the show; I don't think they've mentioned him on the show. Just Jase, "Willie's brother," and Jep, "Willie's other brother."

http://www.christianchronicle.org/blog/ ... -business/

On a pro-adoption site they posted a vid of this guy saying that adopting a child "who is transracial, he doesn't look like us" is "the most selfless thing we ever did."

If he thinks that adopting a child who is not like him is so effing evident of his selflessness, I feel really sorry for that child. A human life as permanent testimony to the guy and his wife's great nobility and charity.

Same scum, better PR.

I'd quote the comment about the "transracial" adoption but you know the bulletin board software, and all. ;) I'm too lazy to go back and logout and copy and login.

Was it actually a Robertson who called his action "most selfless"? Or somebody on the same adoption site? If not a Robertson (which I devoutly hope, I love this show) - or even if it was a Robertson, maybe it can be explained - albeit grudgingly - that in some parts of Louisiana, families with members from different people groups are not the norm? I dunno.

A friend told me darkly that the fam were Church of Christ, the dark part being that some of our mutual acquaintances are Church of Christ'ers who lambaste us Lutherans every chance they get - and I do mean lambaste. Nothing warm or ironic about it, just mean. I shrugged it off, as I did the "Virtuous Woman" cross that's prominently displayed in the old folks' kitchen.

Because it's pretty evident to me that MIss Kay submits to Phil about as much as an alligator submits to a gator hunter; as in, good luck with that. Instead, I see - so far - nothing but mutual respect between all the various couples. And I LOVE that. I love the sense of humor that the individuals have that seem to be genuine, weaving in and out the talking heads as well as the situations they work through.

They're neo-con? As an unidentifiable person politically, that doesn't bother me. There's nothing in Duck Commander's catalog that I'd think of buying - not even for my The Spousal Unit, who to-date hasn't shown an interest in hunting any fowl. There's no evidence that Duck/Buck Commanders' apparel is USA-made, and that's a must for me if I'm gonna purchase new/retail.

So the only way I'm "supporting" this family is if somehow my cable company reports that I watch every episode about 3 times a piece. It's a funny show, it's only made me uncomfortable once (Si being mean to the kids at the Santa event at the church) and I dearly love to laugh.

DD delivers. :)

Here is the link:

This guy and his wife look like a couple that was on Trading Spouses and were supposedly motorcycle freaks. Was it the same people?

Bragging about how adopting a child who doesn't look like you is the most selfless thing you have done is just obnoxious.

Bragging about how adopting a child who doesn't look like you is the most selfless thing you have done is just obnoxious.

Can't disagree. And while I don't mean to defend Willie - and he certainly doesn't need me in his corner - I took his comment less as bragging and more as self-indictment: everything else he and Korie have done has been pretty self-ISH & they know it.

When I realized they were from northern La., the whole thing made more sense. My understanding - and it may be totally flawed - is that compared to the more laissez-faiire atmosphere of Cajun/Creole southern La., northern is pretty uptight, for all the talk of the Robertsons being carefree, laid back "rednecks,"

So if WR was addressing a local audience in that talk, the fact of a biracial kid wd be A Very Big Deal.

Even if he weren't speaking locally, it wd be a big deal to himself because of well, who he is and where he's from.

The later parts of that YouTube clip are instructive: the criticisms he gets about the show tend to be from his own local church members who just can't get it, wrt the TV program.

I'd cut him some slack on the topic, but that's just me being mellow in my old age. I still like the program for the humor and the lack of neuroses. Got a belly full of those with RHONY, prefer my viewing time to feature Jase and his one-liners, and Si and his malapropisms, to bitter Aviva and vengeful Countess and smirking Princess any day.

Jesse 3 and Bobo forever!!

• 2 weeks later...
My understanding - and it may be totally flawed - is that compared to the more laissez-faiire atmosphere of Cajun/Creole southern La., northern is pretty uptight...

I grew up in northeastern Louisiana, and I would agree with your assessment. Race is still a BIG issue in the area. I graduated HS in 1999, and my school had segregated proms. Yes, in 1999. There weren't enough (or maybe any?) biracial kids to warrant a look at the policy.

Even so, I love Duck Dynasty and watch it faithfully. It reminds me of Thanksgivings with my extended family where all the "menfolk" awoke before dawn to go duck hunting, and Thanksgiving dinner was followed by skeet shooting.

karismanic, thanks for the nod and welcome to the boards!

I can't remember who cautioned me about the differences in cultures within Louisiana - it might have been a Cajun lady from my homemakers'-board days, but I think it was earlier.

Since I'll probably never get near the state again in my lifetime, it's all just interesting background. In other DD news, has everybody seen the photo of Si and his wife of 43 years, Christine? She's adorable! Obviously was a stunner in her heyday - along the lines of Jessica (Mrs. Jep) (without the cosmetic procedures that I suspect, but would never snark about) and Christine still has a beautiful smile that reaches her eyes easily.

I can and often do cuss like a sailor, a mixed blessing from a career in a male-dominated industry. So it's intriguing that one of the things I love about DD is the language. About the worst Si says is "Good nickt!" and I've yet to hear a goddamn or jesuschrist. And yet I've never suspected any of the cast of holding back with their expressions of emotion!

I even noticed that when Beau received the duck call from Willie before Beau and Wilie's daughter left for the dance, he said, "Thank you, Mr. Willie" -- LOVE that. How I was raised, even though I was nowhere near the South. Adults' names are not to be spoken by children without some honorific in front of the name: Mr., Miss, Miz, Aunt/Uncle ... yeah. :)

Long live the show, it's a treasure.

It's always interesting to me when I hear/see the same as another and we come away with two differing viewpoints.

I live in South Louisiana and am part of a bi-racial family. I didn't see anything wrong with his comments regarding his son's adoption. I think the act of adoption in itself can be considered a self-less act, then adopting a baby of a different ethnic group (as he said, this kid will obviously "look" differently from the other siblings), is another way to demonstrate true love. I applaud he and his wife for their decision.

Also, yes North and South Louisiana are as different as night and day. I would say both areas have their share of racial issues (lets not kid ourselves), but the North is much more Evangelical Christian and the South is more Catholic. I can say from personal experience that when my hubby (he's white) and I are visiting family in NL, there are many times I feel uncomfortable (from both ethnic groups). We're used to being stared at, even having conversation pause for a few seconds when we walk in a restaurant or store. In SL I've never witnessed that experience so openly. Oh I realize that there are people who are smiling in my face but probably wondering what has come of the good old South. They're just more subtle. :lol:

"I think the act of adoption in itself can be considered a self-less act,"

This is where I disagree. People have children and adopt children because they want children. I am dismayed when anyone considers adopting any child, regardless of race or disability, as a selfless act. For one thing it's a huge burden on children having to grow up expected to be grateful because some "selfless" couple allowed them into their home. IMO, adoption should never be held up as an act of charity.

Archived