IGNORED

5 ex-FLDS teens killed in an accident yesterday

I was sad to read this today. A neighbor came over to ask if my nieces and nephews were okay. 8 of our neices and nephews were up at the cabin(with their parents) that is right off of the road the accident happened on since it is spring break right now.

If alcohol related I really wish they would do more to stop the underage drinking up in that area. It seems like alot of the kids that leave the FLDS faith think you are either super religious or a partier, no in between. There is only one place to buy beer, the chevron near Cane beds and there is always a few 21-22 alcoholics outside willing to buy for minors in exchange for apack of smokes or a few beers.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7655 ... Strip.html

I was sad to read this today. A neighbor came over to ask if my nieces and nephews were okay. 8 of our neices and nephews were up at the cabin(with their parents) that is right off of the road the accident happened on since it is spring break right now.

If alcohol related I really wish they would do more to stop the underage drinking up in that area. It seems like alot of the kids that leave the FLDS faith think you are either super religious or a partier, no in between. There is only one place to buy beer, the chevron near Cane beds and there is always a few 21-22 alcoholics outside willing to buy for minors in exchange for apack of smokes or a few beers.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7655 ... Strip.html

If your whole life you're told that one sip of beer will ruin your life and send you to Hell, and then you drink a beer and nothing happens, well then maybe everything else you've been told is wrong too. This is a problem with anti-drug efforts in the US - by telling kids that one joint will get them hooked, kids that smoke a joint and aren't hooked may conclude since pot wasn't as addictive as they've been told, maybe heroin isn't either.

One of those killed was 22, so it's possible the beer was sold to him legally.

The article mentioned that several of those killed had been kicked out of the FLDS by Jeffs, and another's mother left the group. Sadly, this accident will likely be used within the FLDS to show God's punishment to those that turn their back on their one true church.

*edited because won't isn't will.*

Sad, indeed. Did I read that FLDS does not have the same prohibition against alcohol and coffee as does the LDS? possibly it is on a compound-by-compound basis.

As far as I know, the FLDS disregard the Word of Wisdom (the revelation that prohibits caffeine, alcohol, and other recreational drugs) and continue to drink coffee and alcohol. In Carolyn Jessop's book she talks about a party where all of the top members of the community and their many wives all get wasted with the Prophet.

In Carolyn Jessop's book she talks about a party where all of the top members of the community and their many wives all get wasted with the Prophet.

Key words here are "top members of the community". Since when have the people on top EVER, realistically, held themselves to the same standards as the ones on the bottom?

This is very sad, indeed. Makes you wonder what those kids were really doing out there - probably not just drinking beer. Lord help that poor girl when she returns home...

As far as I know, the FLDS disregard the Word of Wisdom (the revelation that prohibits caffeine, alcohol, and other recreational drugs) and continue to drink coffee and alcohol. In Carolyn Jessop's book she talks about a party where all of the top members of the community and their many wives all get wasted with the Prophet.

That's how I came to understand it from Escape as well, that the FLDS disregard the Word of Wisdom. If I recall right, Carolyn also made the observation that a few drinks made it easier to "keep sweet."

Oh, what a bloody shame this is. Those poor kids are so lost. I wish more was being done for the escaping FLDS people. They truly are refugees.

Oh, what a bloody shame this is. Those poor kids are so lost. I wish more was being done for the escaping FLDS people. They truly are refugees.

QFT.

My thinking on ex-FLDS and drug/alcohol abuse is that when they leave or are kicked out, they are told they will go straight to hell. Thus they want to kill the pain and enjoy themselves before the day comes where their eternal torture begins.

I totally agree. I once caught a very moving documentary about some ex FLDS boys (can't remember the name, sorry; it was on late at night) and it was heartbreaking to see how lost they were. People who fuck up their kids lives with religion so badly should be fucking shot. I do not apologise for the strong language or violence.

I totally agree. I once caught a very moving documentary about some ex FLDS boys (can't remember the name, sorry; it was on late at night) and it was heartbreaking to see how lost they were.

Sounds like you must have seen Sons of Perdition. Well worth watching!

4UKes1CZygs

Sounds like you must have seen Sons of Perdition. Well worth watching!

Thank you! That was the one.

Edited for quote and a second time because I stuffed it up the first time.

Archived