IGNORED

Fundy-lite FB friend: no bikini for my 4-year old

camdendayton

I think there's a big difference between a two-piece and a bikini. I let my daughter wear a two-piece, similar to the tankinis I like to wear, although she doesn't seem to mind the ick factor of the wet one-piece.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, I'm with the people who think that bikinis are sorta sexualizing young children. Tankinis - sure! Two piece suits with ample sun coverage - absolutely! Shorts and nothing else - fine! Bikini with little bitty top to cover non-existent breasts? Now THOSE are CREEPY.

I do understand that two piece suits are easier for bathroom breaks (as a child, I just kinda pulled the bottom of my bathing suit to the side if I had to use the toilet) but to be honest, I just assume that all small children (and a goodly percentage of bigger children and even grown-ups who ought to know better) are peeing in the pool. Obviously I don't encourage this, and if told about it I'd correct the child in question and tell them NOT to do it again, but... I pretty much assume they're all peeing in the pool no matter what sort of suit they have on, so it probably doesn't really matter. Best not to think about it.

My daughter had her first one piece last year (at 6), and she won't have another for a long, long, time! That is a serious PITA when they have to pee. This summer we will go back to a bikini or tankini. Hell, when she was 4 my SIL wanted to take her to the beach and my daughters suit was at my moms (45 minutes in the opposite direction of the beach), so I stuck her in bloomers from a dress and a tank top (I guess fundies would consider that underwear?)

I am always so disgusted with people who look at little girls and think their is something wrong with their bodies!

My oldest DD is long in the body and two piece swimsuits are much more modest for her. We get the ones that look like sports bras and boy shorts so she's covered. One pieces either rode up her crack or pulled down in the chest or if I bought them longer they gaped open at the leg and totally would give a perv a crotch shot.

For the two littles they are so pasty white they wear rash guards and trunks (son) or cloth swim diaper (daughter) unless we are at the indoor pool.

this thread reminds me of being a child, i was about 8 and going through the "i wanna be grown up" stage. i wanted to wear a bikini, not sure how i got my hands on one but i did and finally tried it on and realized how creepy and terrible i looked in it. I was so embarrassed for wanting one so bad. i ended up going for the tankini until i grew boobs. i hope my own child ends up being that self aware, lol.

. Obviously I don't encourage this, and if told about it I'd correct the child in question and tell them NOT to do it again, but... I pretty much assume they're all peeing in the pool no matter what sort of suit they have on, so it probably doesn't really matter. Best not to think about it.

At our Y, the kids police each other really well against peeing in the pool, because the #1 first thing they learn in swim lessons as preschoolers is "if anyone poops in the pool everyone has to get out!" and kids LOVE to enforce rules on each other.

My oldest DD is long in the body and two piece swimsuits are much more modest for her. We get the ones that look like sports bras and boy shorts so she's covered. One pieces either rode up her crack or pulled down in the chest or if I bought them longer they gaped open at the leg and totally would give a perv a crotch shot.

For the two littles they are so pasty white they wear rash guards and trunks (son) or cloth swim diaper (daughter) unless we are at the indoor pool.

If not for your name, I would think I had a sister on FJ! My older sister has the same issue, her daughter is stick thin with a long torso. Even tankinis have a several inch gap at the belly, but at least she is not flashing her girl parts at everyone. Not that it really matters, we are talking about an 8 year old. But J gets comments about how other people disapprove of her daughter's bikinis--tough shit.

Wow, if I still spoke to my sisters I'd swear you were one of them. My oldest is 8 and yes tankinis even leave a gap but that is preferable to the whole flashing of the girlie bits.

I have a very long torso too (though skinny is a distant memory...which is why tankinis don't work for me anymore. No one needs to be subjected to seeing my belly) and I have to really work at finding 1 piece suits, especially ones that will support the chest area as well. Sometimes going a size up helps. I found a great one at Old Navy last year and plan to order a couple more if they have any I like this year, so I can be well-stocked.

I always put swimshirts on my boy at the beach, because of burning fears. He has quite a bit of scare tissue on his chest that would be very painful with burns. It works out so well, that I would probably have my girl wear a shirt too, just to minimize the chances of a nasty sunburn.

Don't most public pools nowadays have some sort of chemical that turns the water green/yellow when someone pees in the pool, so that everybody knows it happened and who did it?

If it's a pool, that's one thing. If my kids were out at the beach, however, I'd tell 'em to just pee in their suits. I do it all the time, and one of my friends, when she loaned me a pair of swimshorts, said to do likewise.

Don't most public pools nowadays have some sort of chemical that turns the water green/yellow when someone pees in the pool, so that everybody knows it happened and who did it?

No, sweetie, that's an urban legend. It's something parents tell their children to keep them from peeing in the pool, in the same way that they tell them that Santa won't bring them presents if they're bad or they used to tell them that Green Jenny would murder them if they strayed into deep water alone.

Most people figure it out the first time they pee in the pool and nothing happens.

http://www.snopes.com/science/poolpiss.asp

I don't mind naked children, in fact I think it is ideal for preschoolers and toddlers. But I have a real problem with bikinis cut to look sexy. My kids dress like children, because they in fact are children. Not all bikinis are sexy, I was just looking at a Hanna Andersson catalog and wishing I had a chubby baby girl I could buy this for:

Z12S38536_12_4L?$LiveFullW$

Hanna Andersson has lots of kid-appropriate swimwear and bikinis, if any of you are in need of that. Once again, the Swedes get it right.

You may buy it for my toddler. She is just delicious - fat little tummy and strawberry blond ringlets. :)

No, sweetie, that's an urban legend. It's something parents tell their children to keep them from peeing in the pool, in the same way that they tell them that Santa won't bring them presents if they're bad or they used to tell them that Green Jenny would murder them if they strayed into deep water alone.

Most people figure it out the first time they pee in the pool and nothing happens.

Two things: 1) I have never peed in a poll (WHY WOULD YOUUUU) and 2) I believed that green dye thing til just this second. :shock:

I don't remember what kind of swimsuits I wore as a kid, but as a teen and adult, I definitely preferred one pieces. I really like those one pieces with skirts that kind of have a 50s feel to them, but last year I couldn't find one that wasn't in plus sizes, so I bought a two piece that covers everything. When not swimming, I wear at least a tank top/undershirt, t-shirt, and jeans, even in summer (not for any religiously motivated modesty reason, that's just how I'm comfortable), so even covered up swimsuits make me feel like I'm walking around in my underwear.

If/when I ever have kids, I would probably go with the shorts and swim shirt thing, mostly for sun protection. Everyone in my family has what I call "red-haired person skin" and one sunburnt back as a teenager was enough to make me NEVER want to wear a skimpy swimsuit again.

Two things: 1) I have never peed in a pool (WHY WOULD YOUUUU) and 2) I believed that green dye thing til just this second. :shock:

Why would you? Well, just off the top of my head I can think of several reasons:

1. Laziness

2. A firm belief that a little bit of pee in a big old pool filled to the brim with chlorine won't do any harm

3. A desire to see the much-talked-about (yet made up!) green dye things

4. Ignorance that it's not really acceptable, especially in small children (remember, swim diapers aren't waterproof! They catch poo, but not pee. So any child under the age of 3 in the pool is pretty much guaranteed to pee in the pool because they're probably not potty trained yet, and it goes straight through the diaper into the pool water. Absorbent diapers would absorb pool water and be useless)

5. An inability to make it to the bathroom in time coupled with either a. a total accident or b. a conscious decision that it's better to go in the pool than piss yourself halfway between the pool and the nearest free toilet

I mean, as an adult, unless I got hit with a sudden bout of incontinence I wouldn't ever pee in a pool. And at my age and lack of physical disability, sudden incontinence is pretty darn unlikely. But as a kid, I know I did. So like I said, I pretty much assume that some percentage of all pool goers pee in the pool, and that the numbers trend down as the population ages up. It doesn't really bother me because I really don't think anybody's releasing enough pee to matter in a large chlorinated pool, but again, I don't really like to think about it too much. If I did I might never go in a pool again!

I have a very long torso too (though skinny is a distant memory...which is why tankinis don't work for me anymore. No one needs to be subjected to seeing my belly) and I have to really work at finding 1 piece suits, especially ones that will support the chest area as well. Sometimes going a size up helps. I found a great one at Old Navy last year and plan to order a couple more if they have any I like this year, so I can be well-stocked.

I wear board shorts and a rashguard style top. The board shorts have a drawstring so I can deal with weight gain and loss easier and they cover up my hips/bum that I'm a little embarrassed about. It also keeps most of me from getting sunburned. It's not modesty so much as I'm very pale and terrified of skin cancer.

Princesses don't wear swimsuits?!

Kate-Middleton-Bikini-Split-400x300.jpg

Your friend's Mom's mind = blown.

(Ok, I know she's a Duchess, but she's married to a Prince)

My son wears a sun safe suit (an all in one with short sleeves and knee-length legs that zips all the way up the front and comes with a little cap which protects his face and back of his neck) for the beach (and that's just in the UK!), and has a prized pair of Elmo swim shorts for the indoor pool.

If I had a daughter she'd totally have the same set up - a safe all in one for outdoors and shorts for the indoor pool. I remember both my sister and I had just shorts until we were about 6 or so, and then switched to one-pieces when we started swimming lessons in our school pool. She now wears skimpy bikinis (because she has a body to die for!) and I have worn tankinis for years (as I had a lot of stomach surgery in my teens and have scars - I saw a pic of myself in a bikini after the surgeries and could never wear a bikini again).

Princesses don't wear swimsuits?!

Kate-Middleton-Bikini-Split-400x300.jpg

Your friend's Mom's mind = blown.

(Ok, I know she's a Duchess, but she's married to a Prince)

My son wears a sun safe suit (an all in one with short sleeves and knee-length legs that zips all the way up the front and comes with a little cap which protects his face and back of his neck) for the beach (and that's just in the UK!), and has a prized pair of Elmo swim shorts for the indoor pool.

If I had a daughter she'd totally have the same set up - a safe all in one for outdoors and shorts for the indoor pool. I remember both my sister and I had just shorts until we were about 6 or so, and then switched to one-pieces when we started swimming lessons in our school pool. She now wears skimpy bikinis (because she has a body to die for!) and I have worn tankinis for years (as I had a lot of stomach surgery in my teens and have scars - I saw a pic of myself in a bikini after the surgeries and could never wear a bikini again).

Damn girl, look at those abs!!! I'm so jealous :)

On all the princess talk, yea it's a stupid comment. What I don't get, and maybe just because I grew up with parents that were not affectionate, so I never got the "little princess" routine, but why are seemingly all little girls obsessed with being princesses? Shouldn't all us ebil feminists convinced people that being a princess isn't such a wonderful thing by now? ;-) Maybe I'm a feminazi but I wouldn't want me (un-concieved) daughter to aspire to be a princess.

I wanna get a two-piece for my daughter just because they were so taboo. :D I didn't think of the whole going to the bathroom is easier in a two-piece thing...but yeah, it really is. lol

On all the princess talk, yea it's a stupid comment. What I don't get, and maybe just because I grew up with parents that were not affectionate, so I never got the "little princess" routine, but why are seemingly all little girls obsessed with being princesses? Shouldn't all us ebil feminists convinced people that being a princess isn't such a wonderful thing by now? ;-) Maybe I'm a feminazi but I wouldn't want me (un-concieved) daughter to aspire to be a princess.

The princess thing seems to come in phases. My five year old daughter is going through one now, but she also aspires to be in the Army because I've been in her whole life.

What I don't get, and maybe just because I grew up with parents that were not affectionate, so I never got the "little princess" routine, but why are seemingly all little girls obsessed with being princesses? Shouldn't all us ebil feminists convinced people that being a princess isn't such a wonderful thing by now? ;-) Maybe I'm a feminazi but I wouldn't want me (un-concieved) daughter to aspire to be a princess.

My daughter never wanted to be anything as frivolous as a mere princess, she wanted to be world dictator or nothing. She was good at it too. :lol:

My parents had boats when I was a kid. I am pale and blond. I can remember swimming in my underwear with no shirt. I burned and peeled all summer. No one thought too much about it, but my dad had several bouts of skin cancer and I wouldn't be surprised if I get it too. I don't think anyone even made sunscreen back then. My mom put noxema on me at the end of the day. I never have been too modest to go skinny dipping either until I got much older (in my 20's). When I became a parent I started wearing one piece suits. My daughter baffled me. By the time she was 3 or so, she insisted on wearing a one piece preferably with a t-shirt over it. She was so modest she never wore tank tops as child or teen, and to this day, she won't wear shorts unless she goes swimming in them. She would have loved to wear those modesty suits. I didn't know they existed or I would have gotten them for her.

I heard that story about dye in the pool too. But I was told it would be red.

Wow, I actually never heard this growing up, but I went swimming in a friend's pool once, a few years ago, and the water turned green, so people started screaming that somebody had pissed in the pool. It was the first time I had heard that, and I was convinced! Hmm...I wonder why the water turned green. :?

Archived