IGNORED

My sister's enounter with a fundie in the doctor's offce

Guest geniebelle

Guest Anonymous

My sister took my youngest niece to the doctor to receive her first round of Gardsil vaccines. While waiting she was having a conversation with a lady sitting next to her. They talked about the importance of the vaccine. My sister then said a woman came up to them and told them that they were turning their daughters into whores by getting them vaccinated. My niece being the smart-mouth that she is said "Ma'am I would rather be called a whore and not die of cancer, than to be stupid like you to believe that shot turns people into something bad." My sister then said "lady just sit down and shut your ignorant mouth and mind your own business." Priceless, simply priceless! :lol: How I wish I could have been there to see that!

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Allow me to be the first to question whether those exact words were really representative of the exchange between the women.

If it were anyone other than a troll posting, I would believe that their sister and niece saw a fundy women in a doctor's office, and POSSIBLY she said something about guardisil, but not that exact wording.

Because it is a troll posting though, I don't even believe that there is any truth behind the story.

Sigh.

Because it is a troll posting though, I don't even believe that there is any truth behind the story.

Ditto. I'm guessing she's posting this to try and show how open and progressive she and her family are.

I suspect fundies would be against Gardisil (sp) because of obivous reasons, but wow to one of them saying that whore thing to a total stranger! I can't imagine them being so rude and confrontational. It's just not their way. Unless this was some nut?

Guest Anonymous

All I know is what sis told me. She suspects the lady was a fundie because there are some around here that raised a big stink when Gardisil first came on the market. I believe our local news even did a segment on those who were against getting their daughters vaccinated. Yeah, there are people like that in my neck of the woods.

All I know is what sis told me. She suspects the lady was a fundie because there are some around here that raised a big stink Gardisil first came on the market. I believe our local news even did a segment on those who were against getting their daughters vaccinated. Yeah, there are people like that in my neck of the woods.

Torch me, but I wouldn't let my daughter get the vaccine, either.

I'm just surprised at the nerve of someone, especially a fundie-type, using the word whore to a stranger sitting in a doctor's office. I would have been too shocked to reply if a fundie said that to me. :lol:

It always blows me away when a complete stranger says something really over the line to someone.

What makes them think they won't get smacked in the face ?

I would have my daughter get it. I don't see the downside to preventing infection of two of the most couple HPV strains that causes cervical cancer. It kills 9000 a year despite it's relatively high cure rate if caught early.

Guest Anonymous

As far as the lady being fundie...that was speculation on her part, so it could have just been a random crazy nut. I wasn't there so I don't know. If I had a daughter, I would get her vaccinated, but I know some parents find the risks outweigh the benefits and some are just completely against it.

I didn't allow it, and I'm pro vaccinations.

I got the first two shots myself, declines the third after having bad reactions (and being blown off by the doc). If I have a daughter she will not be getting it.

One of my daughters got the vaccine and she has had many health problems ever since. I didn't relate it to the vaccine, and am still not 100% sure if they were the cause, but in researching the possible side effects it did coincide with when she got the immunizations for HPV.

Fortunately she was the youngest, so I don't need to make the decision for any other children.

I got the first two shots myself, declines the third after having bad reactions (and being blown off by the doc). If I have a daughter she will not be getting it.

Didn't the daughter of a doctor have a reaction to the shot and then he spoke out about it? I vaguely remember reading something about it years back.

I can't actually find anything scientific and published about Guardasil having negative effects. Does anyone have a link? Maybe I'm not finding something obvious. The only thing that bothers me is that long term efficacy for preventing cervical cancer hasn't been proven, and the shots hurt like hell when I got them.

I didn't allow it, and I'm pro vaccinations.

This me, too.

And as shocked as I'd be to have a fundie say that to me, I'd be more shocked if any daughter of mine responded so smart-assy. How old is the young lady? I'm thinking 14,15? My daughter would have been in big trouble for talking to the fundie that way. She knows that back-talking another adult is my job, not hers.

Strange conversation I'll give you that.

My daughter had the Gardisal series with no side effects. She's also unmarried and taking the pill for health reasons, not for contraception. If someone had made one of those comments to me, I don't think I'd be very nice to deal with.

I'd be delighted if my daughter responded that way.

Why wouldn't y'all want the vaccine? I was too old to get it. I wish I could have.

I've no idea if my DD would have said that at the age of 14 or 15, I think she knows me well enough to have waited for me to unload my can of whoop ass first.

As to the shots I'm too old for them as well,DD got hers and never had a complaint about side effects, but she always complains about any shot hurting.

As far as the lady being fundie...that was speculation on her part, so it could have just been a random crazy nut. I wasn't there so I don't know. If I had a daughter, I would get her vaccinated, but I know some parents find the risks outweigh the benefits and some are just completely against it.

Yes, that would be me. They get everything else, but not Guardisil. Not yet, anyway. We'll see as more studies comeout.

And Fundies can be nuts, too, I'd guess, but this one was a big time freak nut if she said your sister;s turning her daughters into WHORES. Why the eff use that word??? Aren't the fundies generally nice people? So the lady your sis met had to have had a screw loose.

I can't actually find anything scientific and published about Guardasil...

The spelling of the vaccine brand name is odd, which can hamper searches, but here's a link to the CDC:

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/vaccin ... dasil.html

It is still new enough to be in the report-gathering phase, rather than the "here's the conclusive study" phase. You can get the data overview from the FDA approval study from the insert for the product, the text of which should be available online at gardasil.com or something lie that. That will give you the science of the known side effects at the time of approval.

The spelling of the vaccine brand name is odd, which can hamper searches, but here's a link to the CDC:

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/vaccin ... dasil.html

It is still new enough to be in the report-gathering phase, rather than the "here's the conclusive study" phase. You can get the data overview from the FDA approval study from the insert for the product, the text of which should be available online at gardasil.com or something lie that. That will give you the science of the known side effects at the time of approval.

Did you notice the "negative effects?" part of my sentence? For all the "not my daughter!" (even in this thread!) and politicians claiming it causes mental retardation, there's no real evidence to suggest its dangerous, while there's a fair bit of published research on the positives of the vaccines.

Guest Anonymous

I've no idea if my DD would have said that at the age of 14 or 15, I think she knows me well enough to have waited for me to unload my can of whoop ass first.

As to the shots I'm too old for them as well,DD got hers and never had a complaint about side effects, but she always complains about any shot hurting.

My niece is a spitfire and a smart mouth? Gee...I wonder where she got that from? :lol:

Did you notice the "negative effects?" part of my sentence? For all the "not my daughter!" (even in this thread!) and politicians claiming it causes mental retardation, there's no real evidence to suggest its dangerous, while there's a fair bit of published research on the positives of the vaccines.

Exactly. I can understand not giving your child the vaccine for all the regular non-vaccinating reasons (talking about the valid "there's a history of bad reactions" kind of reasoning, not the bullshit "it'll make them autistic" type reasons) but I haven't seen that from most people against it. There'd have to be a hell of a good reason for me not to help my child prevent cancer.

I got it... I also thought it was a good idea to prevent cancer.

The first one or two times I got it, it really hurt. I got it in my arm and I am very thin, so shots there hurt worse because I don't have much fat. After that I asked my doctor if I could have it in my thigh, and she said that was fine. Apparently the arm is recommended/taught but it didn't end up making a difference in reality. It hurt WAY less when I got it in my thigh though.

I do know a few people who have fainted after getting it. I'm not sure what was up with that because one of them, my friend, gets regular allergy shots so she is pretty used to needles. I didn't have any issues with fainting.

Archived