IGNORED

Nathan & Melanie wedding photos/report:

Justme

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gracias, ma'am! How could I have forgotten the crises of pulp-free punch for the fountain, the Coke/Sprite ordering, and the cries for Static-Gard? And yet another wedding containing that all-important Transfer of Authority. Way to be reminded, on what is meant to be the happiest day in a fundie-gal's life, that she's a second-class citizen!

Steve's Mom is pictured on page 2, right side.

Grandpa, Gigi, Nathan, Mel, Steve's Mom. Nathan has his arm around her. Mary looks so sweet. She was only 5.

I think Mel looks pretty. The dress suits her.

I know it was 10 years ago, but the years have not been very kind to Nathan at all. Melanie still looks lovely.

Wow. Melanie's dress is very similar to mine five years earlier. Mine was sleeveless, but it was a sheath dress with a train (sans the bow) much like Melanie's. I doubt that would fly for any of the girls now. Even then it was a decidedly non-fundie dress. It was, in fact, very much 'the in style then. Very worldly. She had a neck, and a neck-line! My, my Stevie, how things have changed in Maxwell land in a decade.

Was that make-up Sarah was wearing, or were her lips just extra red? And, oh my, a decorated car. That's something that others would call...fun.

Wowwowwhoa, this is my favorite photo.

http://web.archive.org/web/20020607065602im_/http://titus2.com/wedding/nathan-images/474.jpg

Talk about one fundie mom intent on out-Betty-bowers-ing another fundie mom!!!! Sarah looks somewhat troubled, doesn't she? LIke maybe she had an idea that things weren't going to work out to her advantage any time soon. The part about how Jesus gave the couple visions of not dating. Makes my head hurt.

Holy hell that post contained WAY too many details....

Sarah DOES look worried... like she knows she's not going to get married. Ever. Always a bridesmaid? Poor Sarah.

I found myself comparing these photos to the Christopher x NR Anna wedding. There were a couple of huge differences (OMG, Melanie is wearing MAKEUP!)

Wow, I'm now about the same age as Teri was 10 years ago and she does not look to be a woman in her late 40's. If I didn't know better, I'd have guessed she was at least in her mid-50's. Thank the gods for my oily skin and anti-depressants; I don't walk through life in a haze by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't have to deal with the stresses of living with a controlling asshole either. The untreated depression and Steve apparently took their toll on Teri at an early age.

I think Sarah might have had a perm. It would explain the lighter hair as well. Not her finest hour. The dresses were nice, though.

Wow, I'm now about the same age as Teri was 10 years ago and she does not look to be a woman in her late 40's. If I didn't know better, I'd have guessed she was at least in her mid-50's. Thank the gods for my oily skin and anti-depressants; I don't walk through life in a haze by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't have to deal with the stresses of living with a controlling asshole either. The untreated depression and Steve apparently took their toll on Teri at an early age.

I think Sarah might have had a perm. It would explain the lighter hair as well. Not her finest hour. The dresses were nice, though.

I wonder how many of those women in that household suffer from clinical depression?

Wow, cake and mints with punch--sounds like my parents' wedding, back in 1969. Not very common any more, huh?

Loved the references to the waiters--how they'd planned the rehearsal dinner so carefully but the staff screwed it up even though they had a bridesmaid who spoke Spanish!!!!!11!!!!1! Ugh. :roll:

And what is up with the driving around eating yogurt after the wedding? That line threw me for a loop.

I wonder how many of those women in that household suffer from clinical depression?

Every last one, is my bet. Teri looks miserable in some of those wedding photos. The whole family dynamic is a textbook example of emotional abuse.

And what is up with the driving around eating yogurt after the wedding? That line threw me for a loop.

I just figured that it was an opportunity for Melanie to unwind and get something in her stomach (especially if pre-wedding nerves kept her from eating much before the ceremony). And she clearly wasn't about to get any substantive food at the reception...

I imagine that fundies who deny the condition exists suffer it in the same proportions as the regular population. And I imagine that similar to the known cases, it is more prevalent in women than men. I can't imagine living with untreated depression; I lived with only counseling for nearly 40 years until my diagnosis and that was horrific enough.

Wasn't there some reference to eating yogurt at the Christopher nuptials too? Some sort of reference to this maybe? I can't recall.

I wonder if there was a big DEATH SPEECH at Nathan's wedding though. Because goodness knows, it's the perfect thing for a wedding... NOT! I still can't get over that one, watched it live at Christopher's wedding, just... the most amazingly NOT OK thing to do from my corner of the earth :D

Great find! I've never seen this page with all the photos but have read Teri's written description of the event. Melanie is still as beautiful -- Nathan, not so much.

And, gasp! Their engagement photo shows them touching! That would NEVER happen in that family now.

I think it's interesting that Teri described picking up hair spray in the bridal room. You know that would be considered in idol in the household today. Probably static guard, too.

I think Steve spoke at the rehearsal dinner about death-or at least tried to include it. In Teri's description of the wedding day she said that Steve spoke on John 14 where Jesus told the disciples that if they loved Him they should rejoice for Him because He would be going to the Father. Somehow Steve turned the subject of Jesus' death on the cross to an analogy of Nathan and Melanie getting married-they were going to be with each other and the focus should be on their joy rather than any sad thoughts. Huh? Why would the marriage be about sad thoughts? I think Steve was just trying to work up the death speech for weddings back then-it was a work in progress. And in only 8 or 9 years, it was perfected!

I, too, noticed the premarital touching between Nathan and Melanie. At what point did that become sin? Christopher and NR Anna decided (all on their own, of course) that they would not touch, so it was wrong by the time they courted.

It also struck me that Teri made a point of mentioning that all of the groomsmen and bridesmaids were siblings of the bride and groom. Even back then having friends must have been too much of a risk for leading children astray.

Despite the unibrow little Mary looks pretty adorable. I like the bridesmaids dresses and the wedding dress. The whole post though is really rather weird.

Wow, thank you for the link!

Interesting photos... Looks like Melanie comes from a big family, too. Sarah definitely looks a bit off in the photos - maybe she had seen her future in a dream...

Sarah's bangs(fringe) aged her,she looks much better now. The forgotten Maxwell brother(Joseph) was awkward,but then most boys that age are. I agree Mary (and John) both look adorable.

I never realized how much Nathan looks(or looked) like Steve. With that hair style he really looked liked Steve.Not so much now.

Do we know how old Melanie is now? She looks about 20 in the wedding pics.

It's really a weird post. Especially the part where Teri described how the little ones cried the evening after the wedding... something about that creeped me out.

Guest Anonymous
It's really a weird post. Especially the part where Teri described how the little ones cried the evening after the wedding... something about that creeped me out.

If Sarah knew what the future held for her, she'd have been sobbing hysterically and beating down the front door to get out....

Run, Sarah, run!

Archived