IGNORED

[Repost] Sons of Perdition on OWN

StacyF said:

Just saw an ad for this program and it looks interesting. It is a documentary on the "lost boys" who are exiled from polygamist communities. It will air at 9pm EST Thursday June 2nd on OWN, looks like the re-air it again at midnight that same night.

http://www.sonsofperditionthemovie.com/Sons_of_Perdition_Home.html

theemeraldskull said:

I just saw a commercial for that like half an hour ago! It looked very interesting... I want to see it... :-)

Generation Cedarchips said:

That does sound interesting. The "lost boys" get mentioned a little bit in Under the Banner of Heaven (Krakauer) and I remember thinking how sad that was. Not only do these kids lose their childhood growing up FLDS, but then they get exiled from all they've ever known.

deelaem said:

I'm so happy that the atrocities of the FLDS are being exposed more. Now if only we could get some answers about all the dead babies.

lilwriter85 said:

I remember there was another documentary on the "lost boys" and other atrocities of the FLDS. I can't remember the name of it though. This documentary looks good. The bad Lifetime movie The 19th Wife also featured a "lost boy" in the plot.

MamaJunebug.freekatie said:

Bears mentioning that the male lead character in HBO's "Big Love" series had been a lost boy, thrown off the compound by his own father who was following the orders of the uber-corrupt "prophet "

xDreamerx said:

I'm watching it now. It's very sad and interesting. Apparently, before Jeffs took over they had dances, music, books, school (well at least some schooling), TV, movies etc. and then he banned them all. One of the boys is trying to protect his mother who came to visit him and doesn't want to go back. These poor women. I can't imagine having to live the way they do.

I watched it this morning. For Australian viewers, you can see it on http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/781838.

I've read a lot of books on the FLDS and I found this pretty heartbreaking. It's one thing to read about it, quite another to see the emotional turmoil on these kids' faces. I started to understand how hard it is for these women and boys to leave.

One of the people thanked by the filmmakers (Jeremy Johnson) was arrested this past weekend in Phoenix, but not for anything related to polygamy. Rather, it was internet-variety mail fraud:

"The government alleges Johnson and his now-defunct online company, iWorks, illegally sold CD-ROMs through the mail that showed people where and how to apply for government grants to help them pay for personal expenses. Johnson and iWorks also allegedly participated in search-engine-based money-making schemes and used fake testimonials to promote numerous other products, the complaint states."

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/51989 ... l.html.csp

Just kinda odd.

Archived