IGNORED

Vocab that you HATE

Sunnichick31

Yeah, also the person could be a non-native speaker like my husband. Mispronunciations don't bug me as much either for that reason. If you are an early reader and tend to read more than you encounter new people, you could pronounce a lot of words wrong just because you've never heard them said before. I got "denouement" on a spelling test in high school and had no idea what the teacher was trying to say although I'd read that word many times. I thought "canary" was "cannery" for the longest time because when would I ever hear it said?

I definitely had that experience. I was a very early reader, and knew by sight what words meant, but often would say them wrong, often to the amusement of my family and occasionally to my own embarrassment growing up. I remember a particularly cringeworthy moment involving the word "ennui". :D

I still experience this sometimes. I run across words on my kindle, depending on the book I'm reading, and if it's a new word to me, I can ask the kindle to immediately give me a dictionary definition, but then occasionally I still don't know how to pronounce it exactly. I'm sure I've said words wrong and people were probably thinking, "WTH is she talking about?" lol

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had this same problem. I remember once when I was visiting grandparents & aunts and uncles, I used the word 'pasties' (when talking about the food) after reading it in a book. Everyone had very strong reactions to my pronunciation and after that I was pretty careful not to say words unless I knew exactly how they were pronounced, ha ha.

I had this same problem. I remember once when I was visiting grandparents & aunts and uncles, I used the word 'pasties' (when talking about the food) after reading it in a book. Everyone had very strong reactions to my pronunciation and after that I was pretty careful not to say words unless I knew exactly how they were pronounced, ha ha.

I still have that problem. :doh: At least I'm not saying public hair for pubic hair.

• 6 years later...
On 6/29/2011 at 10:34 AM, LilMissMetaphor said:

I also despise hubby and preggo/preggers.

The use of "beyond" anything. "Beyond mad". So...you were really mad? It's such a lazy way to talk.

I cannot stand when people use words whose actual meaning clearly eludes them. It's one thing if you don't know how to pronounce something--but why would you employ a word if you're not certain what it means? You wouldn't reach for a Robertson if you needed a Phillips would you? (No Doug references, please. :P )

Also, mistakes like affect/effect, infer/imply...

6 years later and this usage still hasn't died out.  Sigh...

• 10 months later...
On 6/28/2011 at 11:02 AM, Swamptribe said:

Oh, and we have a relative who refers to her older children as 'sister' and 'brother' instead of using their names. " Go find sister", "Go find brother". The kids have names, she just won't use 'em.

My friend's first two kids were boy girl twins. They called the girl "sister" all the time when they were very little and the only ones (5 more kids total and 2 more are girls which seems to have ended that). Having gone to Catholic school, I wanted to ask them if they were planning for her to convert and join the convent. 

On 6/28/2011 at 11:18 AM, clibbyjo said:

I also hate all those "young'uns" and other hillybilly sounding things mentioned above.

My paternal family is Appalachian. My great uncle, who was a sweet, sweet man, always called us "young'un" singular as an endearment. I miss him and never minded that word because of him. 

The phrase I think needs to die is "let that sink in". Most overused annoying cliche on the internet at the moment. Especially in political posts:  "The president of the United States is an orange moron. Let that sink in". Ugh. No. Find a new, less over-used phrase to make your point.

Several of my in-laws refer to their family members by the relation rather than the person’s name. The ones that annoy me the most are the ones who habitually say “my wife” in front of people who know exactly who the spouse in question is. It makes her sound like a possession with no identity. Mr. CL and I privately make fun of the worst offender; we’ll say that we’re going to see Jim and Mywife next weekend.  

On 8/13/2018 at 11:54 AM, catlady said:

Several of my in-laws refer to their family members by the relation rather than the person’s name. The ones that annoy me the most are the ones who habitually say “my wife” in front of people who know exactly who the spouse in question is. It makes her sound like a possession with no identity. Mr. CL and I privately make fun of the worst offender; we’ll say that we’re going to see Jim and Mywife next weekend.  

I assume they aren't evangelicals at least. I'm pretty sure that most hipster evangelical pastors are contractually obligated to always call their spouses "my hot wife". 

5 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

I assume they aren't evangelicals at least. I'm pretty sure that most hipster evangelical pastors are contractually obligated to always call their spouses "my hot wife". 

no, they're conservative/christian, but definitely not evangelical or remotely fundie.  it just seems to be a thing within the family.  i try not to let it annoy me too much, and i use their first names whenever i can.

i'm pretty sure i'd be offended by being called "my hot wife" because in addition to having my identity reduced to being someone's spouse, i'm being regarded/valued by my appearance.  at best, it's superficial and shallow, and at worst it's judging me for my looks.  there's more to me than that.

8 minutes ago, catlady said:

no, they're conservative/christian, but definitely not evangelical or remotely fundie.  it just seems to be a thing within the family.  i try not to let it annoy me too much, and i use their first names whenever i can.

i'm pretty sure i'd be offended by being called "my hot wife" because in addition to having my identity reduced to being someone's spouse, i'm being regarded/valued by my appearance.  at best, it's superficial and shallow, and at worst it's judging me for my looks.  there's more to me than that.

I was more or less joking as the "my wife" thing reminded me of that. They really do it. All. The. Time. 

Preggers.  

Like most British slang actually.  But this word has always made me want to punch someone and I don't know why. 

Archived