IGNORED

Vocab that you HATE

Sunnichick31

I hate the phrase "young people". On those rare occasions I stay for worship my preacher says it ALL THE TIME. I made a drinking game out of it (with water) one day.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... if you check places such as craigslist, you will see people advertising 'chester drawers' for sale.

HAHAHAHA. oh, man. i love it. i want that to be my new user name.

I kid you not. Go to your local Craigslist, and do a search for 'chester drawers'. I just did, and over 20 ads came up.

Non-fundie: When people describe themselves as "over the moon," usually about a pregnancy or baby. When people follow up a statement with "Just sayin' . . ." usually it comes after saying something incredibly obnoxious. (I thought the expression just cropped up in the last year, but apparently my grandma has been using the Yiddish version, "Ikh zoog nor (I'm only saying)" for decades.) When news articles from supposedly unbiased sources refer to the death of a pregnant woman or traumatic miscarriage as "killing an unborn child."

Fundie: "Fellowshipping," especially when applied to an activity that would otherwise be known as "hanging out." "Purpose" as a verb ("I purposed to smile.") Saying that G-d "laid it on your heart."

Along the same lines as the mom/dad thing, I don't like when my son's pediatrician calls me mom. He's a great pediatrician, but dang it, don't say "So which vaccine would you like to give him today, mom?" to me! I'm not your mom. You have 8 children my age or older. There is no way I could be your mom.

I really don't like the word juxtapose.

I worked with a girl who said "acrost" instead of "across" and it drove me crazy.

"Aunt" pronounced "ahhhnt" instead of "ann-t" like the insect just sounds snobby to me. My AHHHHnt is from New England and thought she was just so classy because she pronounced it ahhhnt (and yet no other words got the long A...) and would correct me every time I'd say it like "Ant".

The word supper. It's dinner!

When someone is praying in church and they start off with "Our Father which art in heaven, hallowed be Thy Name" in a serious/dramatic tone then the rest of the prayer is in everyday English and scattered with "umm"s. :lol:

Why all the dislike of Southern Terminology, ya'll? :D :D :D

Like the poster above, I can't stand the term fellowship. Also: conviction, defile, helpmeet, backslidden, hellivision, mission field, Pray that the Lord will give you a burden for...,

I really dislike the word "literally" when people don't intend it to mean "this really did happen." For instance, a la the Oatmeal, "It was so funny I literally peed my pants" -- well, no, you didn't.

Also, Alanis? Rain on your wedding day isn't ironic, it just sucks.

I hate "head over heels in love". You are always head over heels, I would think "heels over head in love" would make more sense.

Agree with nouns made into verbs and personally, fundily, I loathe "We worshipped about it" , "praying a hedge of thorns", SAHD, "Head"....I could go on for ages.

Oh! I forgot:

"I could care less." Dude, that means you are saying you care about a subject a fair amount (because you are capable of caring less). You mean "I couldn't care less."

I hate DH, DD, and DS. I know that a lot of people use it even on this board, but I think it's just so cheesy. I have never heard anyone refer to their kid as "dear daughter" or "dearest son" in an actual conversation, so it just seems really fake to use it online.

"Should of," "could of," instead of "should have," "could have." It doesn't even make any sense grammatically. Drives me batshit.

For fundies, I'm tired of all the blessings. Children are blessings, meals are blessings, a tornado is a blessing, a leaky pipe is a blessing, giving up your adopted kid after six months is a blessing, etc etc etc. And "God is good!" Some of the fundies I know IRL use that phrase like people on Facebook use LOL.

"Today I went to the store. God is good! I picked up some chicken on sale, which was such a blessing. Then the nice bag boy offered to take my bags to my car, and I laid the word of God on him as we walked across the parking lot. God is good! I'm so blessed! Praise the Lord!" :eyeroll:

I can't stand it when people say "actually" when it is not needed. You use actually to correct someone, i.e. "I actually ordered soup, not a salad." You do not turn to someone who has just joined the conversation but has not said anything yet and say, "We're actually just about to go out to lunch."

I'm totally guilty of this. In my defense, in French, you use "Actually" to mean "right now" (In the past we did things one way, but actually things are done in this way). I didn't know it meant anything different.

"Should of," "could of," instead of "should have," "could have." It doesn't even make any sense grammatically. Drives me batshit

Inanna, this is one of my pet peeves, too. I so want to correct people who say this. Thank you!

Shut up! I absolutely cannot stand hearing that used when one is surprised to hear something. Ashley said it last night on The Bachelorette. (Yes, I admit watching it. It was my husband's fault.) I don't like shut up used correctly, either, but this way is just stupid and irritating.

I also hate the phrase "I am so over it" that my kids and their friends say when they are tired of something...baking cookies, a job, a friendship, school, exercising, etc. Just. hate. this.

I hate the word "vocab".

Oh, this made me think of another one. I hate it when people abbreviate the titles of famous books/plays/poems/etc. I had a teacher in high school who would do this all the time. We read "The Merchant of Venice" that year and she would always say things like, "And this week we're going to read acts one and two of Merchant." It drove me nuts. Just take the extra .0001 seconds and say the whole title, for heaven's sake. She did this with every single thing we read that had a title longer than one word. Plus she was just a crappy teacher, which is maybe part of the reason it bothered me so much. But it always just felt like some sort of attempt to sound superior to me. If you talked about going to see "Merchant" with someone who doesn't really know Shakespeare, they're not going to have a clue what you're talking about.

"Sad" to mean something is really awful, but I won't be upfront enough to say what I really think. I hear this one from "fundies" a lot.

The word supper. It's dinner!

My grandparents say supper to refer to the evening meal, and dinner in reference to lunch. Nobody else says it, not even their own kids, and us grandkids have always wondered how the heck it came about.

The term "loving on". It sounds to me like some f-ed up sex act. You love someone; you don't love ON them. It implies domination/submission and it makes me squirm.

ETA: ESPECIALLY when it is used to refer to children.

I also hate this one for exactly the reasons posted. I've even heard non fundie people using this phrase to describe cuddling w/ their babies/kids.

Oh, this made me think of another one. I hate it when people abbreviate the titles of famous books/plays/poems/etc. I had a teacher in high school who would do this all the time. We read "The Merchant of Venice" that year and she would always say things like, "And this week we're going to read acts one and two of Merchant." It drove me nuts. Just take the extra .0001 seconds and say the whole title, for heaven's sake. She did this with every single thing we read that had a title longer than one word. Plus she was just a crappy teacher, which is maybe part of the reason it bothered me so much. But it always just felt like some sort of attempt to sound superior to me. If you talked about going to see "Merchant" with someone who doesn't really know Shakespeare, they're not going to have a clue what you're talking about.

LOL, I shorten EVERYTHING. I cannot help it. We now say "T the D to the DP"which means "take the dogs to the dogpark" because if you say the words they will start barking.I also say "what evs"!" because it drives my kids crazy soI purposely got hooked on it and now I cannot stop.We say lots of things like that. :whistle:

Along the same lines as the mom/dad thing, I don't like when my son's pediatrician calls me mom. He's a great pediatrician, but dang it, don't say "So which vaccine would you like to give him today, mom?" to me! I'm not your mom. You have 8 children my age or older. There is no way I could be your mom.

Along the same lines, I hate when people refer to "Baby" instead of "the baby". This happens even after the baby is born, and everyone knows it's a HE and his name is Sam. Drives me batty, and it sounds like bad English even though I know people are referring to the baby as "Baby" instead of "Sam".

"Should of," "could of," instead of "should have," "could have." It doesn't even make any sense grammatically.

When Kristina labelled a picture of her daughter "My Soak and Wet Daughter" (after the baby was playing in a fountain), I wondered if she was trying to be cute, or if she really thought that's what the phrase is.

I'll admit when i was young I thought the phrase "For all intents and purposes" was "For all intensive purposes".

LOL, I shorten EVERYTHING. I cannot help it. We now say "T the D to the DP"which means "take the dogs to the dogpark" because if you say the words they will start barking.I also say "what evs"!" because it drives my kids crazy soI purposely got hooked on it and now I cannot stop.We say lots of things like that. :whistle:

Haha, we always have to modify our speech so our dog doesn't understand. She knows what a "walk" is and she even knows what a "Double-yoo ay el kay" is, so my dad and I started calling walks "perambulations" which we've since shortened to "perams". Thankfully, the dog has not figured out what those are yet.

The new phrase: "I know, right?"

I have no idea why...but I HATE that phrase.

I started using the phrase a couple years ago thanks to friends who constantly quote Mean Girls.

Archived