IGNORED

Vocab that you HATE

Sunnichick31

Fundie or non-fundie, what vocabulary do you absolutely HATE. I HATE when people say Memaw instead of grandma (as seen here icomebytheblood.blogspot.com/2011/06/i-am-loved.html) It just sounds like something a hill-billy would say.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate it when a husband or wife refers to their partner as mom or dad. If you are talking to a kid that's fine but not when you are talking to each other.

lol. My dad (Chicago born and raised) called his grandma Memaw.

It is not a tradition we continued.

I'm a little bit tired of "vision" and "visionary".

Current bee in my bonnet--"messianic" peoples giving themselves neat-o Hebrew names. It's just not good enough unless it's in hebrew, and if you can get the actual Hebrew characters on facebook, bonus points!

Buffalo Wild Wings called B-dubs.

never heard that one before, but it's pretty bad!

oh, i'm southern and i HATE meemaw, mamaw, papaw...ugh. my ILs tried to institute papaw and i just kept coaching the girls to say Papa and not pa-pawwww.

Living in LA. for 2 years everyone said Meemaw, Mamaw etc.... It does sounds very hillbilly and hickish to northen ears,but I got used to it. I personally HATE NANA because my MIL is called that by her daughters kids. Since I am not Italian(neither is MIL, but her one daughter thinks she is since she married an Italian man and lives in Little Italy area of the city)they say that. It sounds so stupid coming from their grandchildren in their 20's(especially the boys). My kids call her Grandma. Pap for the grandfathers.

I hate it when a husband or wife refers to their partner as mom or dad. If you are talking to a kid that's fine but not when you are talking to each other.

I saw that on an episode of the show Mama Family. Some guy was calling his wife "Mother". Mama said: "What'd you call your kids? Grandma and Grandpa?"

I also find that annoying.

Hate it when spouses/partners refer to each other as "the old lady" or the "old man".

Ewww, I hate that too! So trashy.

My husband has recently decided to call me "The Mother Ship" when speaking to the kids about me. I do not find that enjoyable and am trying to get hi to go with Empress which is not working. :snooty:

Yes, this! My FIL does this and it gives me the creeping horrors.

The over use of the word amazing-"the coffee was amazing" , ""giving the dog a bath was amazing", "my last BM was amazing" etc.Births and speeches by great men and women are amazing and good sex to,not that kind of stuff.

The over use of the word amazing-"the coffee was amazing" , ""giving the dog a bath was amazing", "my last BM was amazing" etc.Births and speeches by great men and women are amazing and good sex to,not that kind of stuff.

I'm not fond of "amazing" either. But, "awesome" drives me up the wall! "How was your vacation?"--"Awesome!" :?

There are so many it's hard to keep it to a minimum. Most of all I hate the hyperbole that's such a part of language now. Things are always "extreme", "the best ever", "incredible", and my most hated, "perfect". Just because some TV chef makes a salad does not mean it's "perfect". I also hate the expression "how (insert hyperbolic word here) is that?" Using these kinds of words so easily essentially renders them meaningless. Another peeve is blending two people's names if they're a couple, i.e. Branjelina. That's just so cheesy. People are now abbreviating things way too much. I could go on and on...

I'm not fond of "amazing" either. But, "awesome" drives me up the wall! "How was your vacation?"--"Awesome!" :?

This. Everything is apparently awesome , entirely removing the actual meaning and impact of the word. It's kind of like LOL - it's what people say when they have nothing to say.

Buffalo Wild Wings called B-dubs.

'

They started that. Back when they were Buffalo Wild Wings and Weck. They referred to themselves as BW3 and B-dubs.

We still call them BW3. And I miss the Weck.

I can't stand it when people say "actually" when it is not needed. You use actually to correct someone, i.e. "I actually ordered soup, not a salad." You do not turn to someone who has just joined the conversation but has not said anything yet and say, "We're actually just about to go out to lunch."

MeeMaw is not uncommon in the south. I tried to find its origins but I couldn't find anything.

Honestly, I think MeeMaw is baby talk for Grandma, and it just sorta stuck.

One of my pet peeves, and it's a southern thing. Chester Drawers. There is no such piece of furniture as a Chester Drawers. It's supposed to be Chest of Drawers, but if you check places such as craigslist, you will see people advertising 'chester drawers' for sale.

Also, people using 'for sell' instead of 'for sale' in ads. That's another one.

Oh, and we have a relative who refers to her older children as 'sister' and 'brother' instead of using their names. " Go find sister", "Go find brother". The kids have names, she just won't use 'em.

The term "loving on". It sounds to me like some f-ed up sex act. You love someone; you don't love ON them. It implies domination/submission and it makes me squirm.

ETA: ESPECIALLY when it is used to refer to children.

When you ask someone a question, and instead of answering "Yes" they say, "That's truth."

LOl, I have never heard that one!

I also hate all those "young'uns" and other hillybilly sounding things mentioned above.

Archived