IGNORED

Keller parents blow off family meeting

annalena

We have to keep in mind that the time of Jesus was an apocalyptic one. They believed that the reign of God would break into the world and the world would end soon. Jesus rejected the established Jewish ideas of the earthly family and bloodlines and encouraged people to be part of a spiritual family instead. He encouraged people to distance themselves from the family unit, marriage, earthy possessions and so on because when the end came they would not matter. When he is on the cross, he referred to Mary (his mother) as 'gyma' or 'woman'. This is another example of that distancing or detachment from the construct of family.

I'm not saying it's right or justified that the Kellers have done this. I'm just providing some context.

Thanks for your perspective. I've always been puzzled by this passage. Sounds somewhat like gnosticism.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have to keep in mind that the time of Jesus was an apocalyptic one. They believed that the reign of God would break into the world and the world would end soon. Jesus rejected the established Jewish ideas of the earthly family and bloodlines and encouraged people to be part of a spiritual family instead. He encouraged people to distance themselves from the family unit, marriage, earthy possessions and so on because when the end came they would not matter. When he is on the cross, he referred to Mary (his mother) as 'gyma' or 'woman'. This is another example of that distancing or detachment from the construct of family.

I'm not saying it's right or justified that the Kellers have done this. I'm just providing some context.

I've heard this interpretation, too, which really makes all of the intense focus on "family" by VF and ATI rather ironic.

I'm saying this as someone who is basically a cold-hearted bitch when it comes to parents, but the Keller kids should stop trying. Let Mom and Dad Keller be just as douchey as they want to be, and try not to let it bother them. I know it sucks and it hurts, but so does banging your head against the wall that the parents have erected in this case.

I cut my mother off and I don't anticipate having any meaningful contact with her in the future, we haven't spoken for almost a year. That hasn't stopped her from telling lies about me and behaving like she always has, but it has stopped most of my stress over it.

Dear Keller kids,

Love one another, love your partners, love your friends. Make yourselves a family that respects and honors you. Those people may be related to you by blood or they may not, but someone that treats you like crap is not worth your time or your tears.

This. My relationship with my mother has existed in many forms but is has never existed as a loving, caring, honest, mother-daughter relationship. My mother is manipulative, selfish, narcissistic, passive-aggressive and a liar. For ten years, from the time I was 17 until I was 27, we didn't speak. We slowly worked towards a relationship when I got married. Somehow, I was valid then or something. Now, we don't talk again. I don't need the hurt or drama or games. My gawd, the games. She is my mother, but what does that mean, really? She gave birth to me. So what? She also gave me a butt load of baggage I still carry around with me and a ton of hurts that never healed, they just got buried and when they resurface, they're even more painful.

I am healthier when we don't talk or have anything to do with each other. My health is more important to me than fulfilling some obligation to be a daughter when I don't have a mother who feels any obligation to be one.

There are hard lessons in coming to terms with family relationships that aren't good for us. I wish the Keller kids a lot of luck in making themselves happy, whatever their parents think, expect or want.

**Edited because I can live with typos but not stupid-bad-grammatical-screw-ups.

I am healthier when we don't talk or have anything to do with each other. My health is more important to me than fulfilling some obligation to be a daughter when I don't have a mother who feels any obligation to be one.

There are hard lessons in coming to terms with family relationships that aren't good for us. I wish the Keller kids a lot of luck in making themselves happy, whatever their parents think, expect or want.

co-sign

On an earthly level, being a disciple at that time meant persecution from an oppressive regime. There was a very good chance you'd end up a martyr. I think it's safe to assume that the original disciples' family members put pressure on them to "stay away from this Jesus fellow. He's a troublemaker. Keep quiet, mind your own business, and don't make waves."

Did anyone mention when the reunion was scheduled for? Maybe creepy Mike and Ma Keller found out they would be attending Sister Suze and the Cagefighter's betrothal and bailed on those grounds. Which would suck worse, actually. Hmm, I think I really hate the Kellers for more than their creepy factor now.

Hmm, who knows. Maybe it was the engagement party.

In non-fundy terms, he seems like a nice guy and seems to really love her and care for her. Wouldn't all parents be happy about that? Okay, I'll make that shouldn't.

They would have no choice if they wanted to remain part of the herd.

We've seen how they treat the kids/adults who obey; I have no trouble believing they'd cut off a kid/adult who disobeyed. For the good of the family and the younger ones, don't'cha know.

Suze's FB shows pics of a lovely engagement party her sister threw for her. I wonder if that's why the "parents" bailed? In any case, I'm glad she still has the love and support of half of her family. Best of luck for a happy life together, Susanna & Nick.

Archived