IGNORED

Keller parents blow off family meeting

annalena

You answered your own comment when you said that they won't let kids become adults. This is quite possibly the first set of times that Daniel and Suz? have confronted their parents about anything, or even voiced disagreement with anything.... they don't know how to do it in an adult manner, they are still working their way thru the immature ways of doing it.

I don't blame them. How would they know how to deal with it in an adult manner if no one ever taught them and they're still being treated as kids?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is so stupid. Why do these parents not realize that they're the ones that will suffer in the end?

I would cut my arm off rather than disown any of my children, regardless of what my husband wants. But then, I'm not a fundie. Yet another reason not to sign up.

Quotes: some from my therapist and some that I've found on my own.

http://lefthandedlibra.tumblr.com/post/ ... o-for-your

"You don't have to win over the haters, you are not the jerk whisperer."

"It's not that I'm not a people person, I'm just not a stupid people person."

"You don't have to attend every argument you're invited to."

"I'm sorry, you seem to have mistaken me for someone that will take your shit."

"At every given moment you have the power to say, this is not how the story is going to end."

"You don't have to attend every argument you're invited to."

I'm so making this my new mantra for dealing with my parents.

/edited because quoting is too hard for me.

I really wonder how the still remainig fundie-kids of the family deal with the situation. especially priscilla who is still living at home and is totally into that whole ATI-thing..

I hope they still have the reunion. Afterwards they need to send their parents one of the group shots from professional photographer. Best case, the Kellers will cherish the picture and see the fun that was had and resolve to attend the next get together; worst case they scoff at the "sinfulness" of it and throw it in the trash.

I am interested to hear the Keller's excuse for not going.

It absolutely kills me that these "vessels of Christ" are able to totally write off their own children for nothing worse than disagreeing with them about just how fundie to be. It's not like Daniel and his wife turned to Wicca or Islam. They just don't like the ATI patriarchy. If the Kellers really want to display "character" like ATI teaches, should they not just remain sweet and display their Christian attitude and good graces?

Way to guarantee that these (adult) children never want anything to do with you or your stupid church.

I'm an Atheist, and I can't imagine anything either of my boys could do (or would do for that matter) that would cause me to cut them off from me or from each other.

I guess there are "too many flowers" in the Keller household. And some don't match the carpet.

According to Susanna, it looks like they've been planning this reunion for a year now and revolved around their parents' schedule to make sure they would make it. They promised they would once the date was set but it looks like they pulled out the last minute. Burn times infinity.

I really wonder how the still remainig fundie-kids of the family deal with the situation. especially priscilla who is still living at home and is totally into that whole ATI-thing..

I think Priscilla shares her parents' opinion or thinks she does.

When they've been planning for a while and the parents agreed on coming, it's even more awful!

Look what I found while poking around. A little snarky!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... permPage=1

Hee.

I probably still disagree with the "escaped" Keller children about everything ever, because that's just the kind of ultra-liberal elitist northeastern nerdy Jew that I am. But I can't help but like them, because they are fighting an oppressive system and doing what they want in life and because they clearly have a hint of snarkiness inside.

Also, the Kellers are ridiculously shitty parents. As far as I can tell, all of their kids are still very conservative Christians. And yet, they pretty much disown their kids and treat them like garbage. It's probably too much to hope for that one day they will realize what they've missed out on, so instead I'm hoping that the Keller kids just find healing and happiness despite the way their parents treat them.

Also, the Kellers are ridiculously shitty parents. As far as I can tell, all of their kids are still very conservative Christians. And yet, they pretty much disown their kids and treat them like garbage. It's probably too much to hope for that one day they will realize what they've missed out on, so instead I'm hoping that the Keller kids just find healing and happiness despite the way their parents treat them.

Seriously. Not only are the missing out on relationships with their adult children, but their grandkids as well. That is so unfathomable to me. I didn't follow my parent's religion, and I know I'm not making the parenting choices that they would prefer. And yet, my mom does whatever I ask her/follows all my wishes because she respects me as an adult and as a parent...and I think she would do or say anything to maintain a relationship with her grandkids. That love is fierce. How sick and twisted must you be to throw away a relationship with your kids and grandkids because they don't follow your religion/wishes exactly to the letter? They are all still professing the Christian faith, right?

I wonder what the parents hope to acheive by disowning their kids? All that hatred and bitterness certainly wouldn't inspire any sane person to return to their parent's version of Christianity.

I just find it hard to understand how Pa Keller can minister to, and therefore love and accept, prisoners while rejecting his own children. Children who, as far as I can tell, have not committed any crimes and who still hold fast to the basics of their parents' Christian faith.

If any one comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children

and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple.

-Jesus (Luke 14:26)

They are being Biblically consistent

Anyone else found it ridicolous how Anna went to the prisoners and afterwards said it made her thankful for her parents because otherwise it could have been her in there?? Does she really believe that??

I mean-there's something inbetween fundy upbringing and the straight road to jail.

If any one comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children

I would like to know how they'd react if someboudy confronted them with that bible verse..

So wait, Jesus wants Emo kids?

Wait, WTF? This is a real verse in the New Testament? I mean, I looked it up and apparently it is (at first I thought it was a joke...). What the hell is it supposed to mean?

Wait, WTF? This is a real verse in the New Testament? I mean, I looked it up and apparently it is (at first I thought it was a joke...). What the hell is it supposed to mean?

Not a Bible scholar, but have heard a lot of Bible teaching. My understanding of the verse is that Jesus was saying in a rather hyperbolic way that anyone who follows him should be prepared to give up everything. I don't believe the intent of the verse is to literally command people to hate their parents or spouses or children, but to let people know that would-be disciples should know up front they will have to be willing to put Jesus first, before anyone or anything.

Not a Bible scholar, but have heard a lot of Bible teaching. My understanding of the verse is that Jesus was saying in a rather hyperbolic way that anyone who follows him should be prepared to give up everything. I don't believe the intent of the verse is to literally command people to hate their parents or spouses or children, but to let people know that would-be disciples should know up front they will have to be willing to put Jesus first, before anyone or anything.

Another version of this interprets it this way:

One day when large groups of people were walking along with him, Jesus turned and told them, "Anyone who comes to me but refuses to let go of father, mother, spouse, children, brothers, sisters—yes, even one's own self!—can't be my disciple. Anyone who won't shoulder his own cross and follow behind me can't be my disciple.

28-30"Is there anyone here who, planning to build a new house, doesn't first sit down and figure the cost so you'll know if you can complete it? If you only get the foundation laid and then run out of money, you're going to look pretty foolish. Everyone passing by will poke fun at you: 'He started something he couldn't finish.'

31-32"Or can you imagine a king going into battle against another king without first deciding whether it is possible with his ten thousand troops to face the twenty thousand troops of the other? And if he decides he can't, won't he send an emissary and work out a truce?

33"Simply put, if you're not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it good-bye, you can't be my disciple.

I think it's about you having to be willing to give up literally anything to follow Jesus.

Hmmm. Why should he want you to?

On another note, Susanna posted about her engagement party. I'm glad she has positive things in her life.

We have to keep in mind that the time of Jesus was an apocalyptic one. They believed that the reign of God would break into the world and the world would end soon. Jesus rejected the established Jewish ideas of the earthly family and bloodlines and encouraged people to be part of a spiritual family instead. He encouraged people to distance themselves from the family unit, marriage, earthy possessions and so on because when the end came they would not matter. When he is on the cross, he referred to Mary (his mother) as 'gyma' or 'woman'. This is another example of that distancing or detachment from the construct of family.

I'm not saying it's right or justified that the Kellers have done this. I'm just providing some context.

We have to keep in mind that the time of Jesus was an apocalyptic one. They believed that the reign of God would break into the world and the world would end soon. Jesus rejected the established Jewish ideas of the earthly family and bloodlines and encouraged people to be part of a spiritual family instead. He encouraged people to distance themselves from the family unit, marriage, earthy possessions and so on because when the end came they would not matter. When he is on the cross, he referred to Mary (his mother) as 'gyma' or 'woman'. This is another example of that distancing or detachment from the construct of family.

I'm not saying it's right or justified that the Kellers have done this. I'm just providing some context.

And this makes the fundie emphasis on earthly family very, very strange.

Archived