IGNORED

Lina's Latest

Beeks

From the debate about feminism on Lina's personal FB page:

Suzanne McDaniel

I'm not sure the feminsts did anything for me. :) I don't vote and have NO desire to, I have no desire to hold a career, etc..

So for me personally, they did pretty much nothing.

3 hours ago

AJ N Paulina ‎

@Suzanne - I feel the same way. I have no desire to vote or have a career outside of homemakering...so feminism merely irritates me. -Paulina

Oh my G-d . . . the stupidity . . . choking on my own outrage . . .

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you can own anything, thank feminism. If your husband cannot beat you, thank feminism. If you don't like wearing corsets, thank feminism.

Dear Lina,

You know what the difference between a feminist and an anti-feminist is? A feminist respects women who choose to stay home with their children. An anti-feminist doesn't respect women who choose to work outside the home. Contemplate that for a few days and see where it gets you. You seem like a smart girl, try not to be so obtuse.

Love,

Pomology

Dear Lina,

You know what the difference between a feminist and an anti-feminist is? A feminist respects women who choose to stay home with their children. An anti-feminist doesn't respect women who choose to work outside the home. Contemplate that for a few days and see where it gets you. You seem like a smart girl, try not to be so obtuse.

Love,

Pomology

That deserves a gif!

That does it. She really is THAT willfully ignorant, isn't she? She truly doesn't seem like a stupid person. Naive and young and smug, yes; but stupid? How can she not understand that her being able to play around online and have her own blog and make HER OWN CHOICES all stem from feminism? ARGH!

*grabs paper bag and starts breathing into it* So much stupid, so little time.

In my experience, only a small percentage of Orthodox brides cover their hair during the wedding. Most of them begin to cover it the morning after. So I'm willing to give Lina a pass on that one.

As for the wedding itself, her "ring ceremony" was most likely a version of the "kinyan" that takes place in a regular Jewish wedding with the ring.

Basically, a wedding is valid if the husband gives the wife anything of value and says a certain phrase roughly translated as: "with this object you are consecrated to me by the laws of Moses and Israel".

In fact, any time this is done with witnesses it's binding. So much so that we were warned against doing any "mock weddings" because they could be actually binding.

So, I'm sure that in Lina and TT's eyes, they're married according to Judaism, even without a chuppah and a Rabbi, as long as they had a ring and witnesses.

Of course, since they're not actually Jewish, it doesn't count.

At (actual) Orthodox weddings, the bride wears her veil on her uncovered hair for the ceremony. After the ceremony and the period of seclusion between the bride and groom, her mother or a married sister or friend helps the bride put on a wig or head covering before she makes the grand entrance at the reception. After that, she always covers her hair in public, and often in her own house too. The amount of hair that needs to be covered and things like that can depend on modern vs. ultra orthodox or community traditions. Of course, this is all about actual Orthodox Jews. Lina is probably just doing what she or, likely, what "Love" wants.

Actually, you officially only need to cover your hair after you lose your virginity on the wedding night, because hair covering has something to do with awareness of your sexuality once you've had sex for the first time.

There are some people who have the custom to cover the hair after the seclusion part of the ceremony, in the offchance that you managed to "do the deed" during those 7 minutes or so... lol, but thats not widespread custom in any way.

And "Azariah" is "Sefardi", IIRC, and sfardic people don't do seclusion at the wedding, which would give no reason to headcover during the wedding.

How can you say "I don't want to force anyone to do anything, or force my lifestyle on others... I just wish feminism had never existed. I am too GD lazy to get off my butt and vote, think about voting, or make a decision for myself, so I am *annoyed* that others have that opportunity."?

The problem with these lazy anti-feminists is they just don't want to have to feel bad about anything. Well guess what, unless you have skin like a Cadillac, everyone feels bad or guilty about their life choices sometimes. That's the beauty and curse of living in a free society. The Mommy Wars, horrid as they may be, are a reminder of the options available (for some women - many poor or middle-class women like myself do not have every option, a nanny, and a life-coach, but that is just another reason to keep working to improve everyone's options) and that does come with some heartache either way but I wouldn't give up those choices for anything.

I would not (and don't) judge someone with the desire and means to be SAHM. But I'm sure as sh*t not going to drop out of grad school and start popping them out to make my best friend feel better about her choice not to pursue grad school (although I don't usually get the same respect). So Lina, grow a pair and start being proud of your life choices, but don't try to take mine away.

and p.s. having a blog/FB page dedicated to trying to make your life look awesome does not true confidence make...

I'm leaning toward quickie wedding/pregnant bride story. She used to be pretty slender, and now she is gaining weight but only in the boobs and stomach.

I know some people just gain weight that way, but I like my explanation better.

I'm gaining weight that way, I'm not pregnant, and I'm the same age as Lina.

Then again, I'm also gaining weight in my ass. Can't really tell if Lina's gaining weight in hers.

Suzanne McDaniel

I'm not sure the feminsts did anything for me. :) I don't vote and have NO desire to, I have no desire to hold a career, etc..

So for me personally, they did pretty much nothing.

3 hours ago

AJ N Paulina ‎

@Suzanne - I feel the same way. I have no desire to vote or have a career outside of homemakering...so feminism merely irritates me. -Paulina

Oh. My. God. The stupid, it hurts. They should be put in a time machine and sent back to any century where "women's rights" meant "the right to be beaten with a stick no thicker than a thumb". Let's see if feminism would still "irritate" them then!

........I can't believe they actually said that.....I'm in shock..... :shock:

Oh. My. God. The stupid, it hurts. They should be put in a time machine and sent back to any century where "women's rights" meant "the right to be beaten with a stick no thicker than a thumb". Let's see if feminism would still "irritate" them then!

That would just about suit for Lina. Not sure it would get the message through, though.

Somewhat unrelated Lina topic - every pic I have seen of Lina and Love, Lina looks like she has a run for her life look in her eyes. Maybe I'm just seeing things?

I'm gaining weight that way, I'm not pregnant, and I'm the same age as Lina.

This is also the way I gained weight at Lina's age. And it sucks to have to buy that many new (and more and more expensive) bras in a short amount of time.

I dunno, I always put on a few when I get into a new relationship because instead of eating on my own we're cooking together regularly, going out to eat... and going out/drinking more, but I doubt that's what Lina's up to.

Yes, in one blog post she discussed visiting relatives in Mexico. Here it is if you want to read it. asetapartlife.blogspot.com/2009/07/what-do-you-mean-youve-never-had.html She describes her family (who is graciously hosting her and from the sound of it being very kind and hospitable) as "Christians for the most part" but laments that they do (gasp) date.

edited for punctuation issue

That sounds to me like someone who is shy and anxious, therefore has trouble with social situations, getting teased by her family for not dating and therefore deciding that dating isn't what God wants anyway.

I really do think that she does a lot of this stuff as a defense mechanism for her anxiety issues. I'd bet that it seems more acceptable to say she wants to stay at home to be a housewife than because of the anxiety.

She is also home all day. I know when I'm home all day, alone, I tend to eat. That could be it as well.

On the anti-feminist thing...let me just say it is a good thing she is on the other side of the big pond from me or I would go at her with a two-by-four. :evil:

I wonder if Lina knows that Orthodox rabbis consider voting to be a mitzvah?

Of course it is! How else would Kiryas Joel get all that government funding? ;)

(Yes, I know that Kiryas Joel and Orthodox Judaism aren't synonymous. But that would get in the way of the joke.)

I am HAPPY if anti feminists decline to vote. If they did vote I doubt they would vote for anyone that I would consider. So I am glad they have taken themselves out.

Archived