IGNORED

Cody Brown vs Warren Jeffs

Guest abbra

Guest Anonymous

Cody Brown and Warren Jeffs believe in the same FLDS Principles . Warren Jeffs Compounds live Old Testament fire and brimstone. Warren has many more wives who are made to shun modern dress and modern ideals.

Cody Brown spoke of believing in having only 4 wives. Codys wives are very independent, very modern in dress and mannerisms and work outside the home in their public community.

Codys children have multicolored hair, body piercings and normal upbringing that kids should have.

Jeffs children are dressed in Prairie Garb, taught to be subservient to men and kept from the outside worlds evils.

Is Brown a splinter group of the FLDS?

Guest Anonymous

Cody is a pop culture polyg. Its hard to tell what his religious beliefs are except he uses them to justify multiple 'wives' and whoring out his lifestyle for a buck on the tv.

Cody may be a jerk, but his wives are all adults who chose this lifestyle as adults with what appears to be the freedom to choose not to marry into this as well.

Big, big difference. (but I still think Cody is pretty jerky)

Yeah, they are AUB polygs. And he marries adult women, not children. I don't remember Kody saying he only believed in having 4 wives though, I think on the show they said it would be a while if they added another one.

I think it is going to be a long while, if ever, that Cody adds another wife. I think adding #4 after so many years with the first three, coming out to the world, and the move to Las Vegas has rocked their world. The wives have now had a taste of a more normal single family life and two of them, at least, seem to like it.

The big difference between Cody Brown and Warren Jeffs is choice. In Jeffs' world there is no choice for women or girls. The Brown wives were all adults who, for some reason, chose the polygamist life. The wives also chose Cody for themselves; I believe Warren Jeffs (and other FLDS leaders) had the power in the group to decide marriages, divorces, and remarriages. Since Jeffs is the prophet and is always right, it is a huge deal to try and buck the system. The Browns live in the real world, not in a cult behind walls or within a cult-town, which also gives them more choices and options to leave that Jeffs' followers do not have.

The Browns have never discussed this, but I wonder if they also believe that the path to heaven includes polygamy. Part of the the control Warren Jeffs has on the women in his group is that salvation is dependent on being a "plural" wife. Any woman who leaves is condemning herself to missing out on heaven. She MUST be part of a polygamist marriage to make it, along with her husband and his other wives. From what I have read, this is what Joseph Smith taught when he had his "revelation" about multiple wives; has that part survived with current polygamist families?

Guest Anonymous

Codys wives were all raised in polyg. I don't recall the reality of who all was begotten by whom but I do remember there are some connections to polyg royalty amongst them.

Kody and ilk are AUB, which is far more liberal than FLDS. Chief among what I see of their beliefs is they regularly profess that their children can make their own religious choices... as soon as they turn 18. They seem to appreciate and encourage independent thought, at least in their own house. I don't know if this is indicative of AUB in general.

Additionally, all four of his wives jumped in out of choice, and whatever idea of love they have, rather than be forced into as minors as Jeff's FLDS seems to do to many young ladies.

I don't agree with Kody, but since there seems to be free thought/choice involved there, I can live and let live. Especially since when it comes to minors, they are following laws. Not so much with the marriages, but whatevs.

The blond, um, larger one was not raised in polygamy.

Janelle wasn't raised in polygamy - but get this - her mother is married to Kody's dad as a plural wife. It was quite the surprise on the show. I guess her mom switched over to the lifestyle after Janelle married Kody.

I also get the impression that the wives are free to leave if they choose. Janelle and Christine have talked about leaving before on the show.

Kody was not raised in a polygamous household either; it was only after his father began exploring that lifestyle that Kody became interested.

And yes, Janelle's mom is married to Kody's dad and Janelle used to be married to Meri's brother. As someone once said, their family tree is a wreath.

Guest Anonymous
I also get the impression that the wives are free to leave if they choose. Janelle and Christine have talked about leaving before on the show.

Yup they can leave, but as long as the gravy train is rolling along its doubtful they will.

And yes, Janelle's mom is married to Kody's dad and Janelle used to be married to Meri's brother. As someone once said, their family tree is a wreath.

The Browns have never discussed this, but I wonder if they also believe that the path to heaven includes polygamy. Part of the the control Warren Jeffs has on the women in his group is that salvation is dependent on being a "plural" wife. Any woman who leaves is condemning herself to missing out on heaven. She MUST be part of a polygamist marriage to make it, along with her husband and his other wives. From what I have read, this is what Joseph Smith taught when he had his "revelation" about multiple wives; has that part survived with current polygamist families?

I thought they did say this in a way. When the kids went on a group date thing, Kody mentioned something about wanting his children to live this type of lifestyle because he wanted them to reap the rewards. He wanted them to follow them (him and his wives) to heaven or something like that. I remember it striking me that he probably did believe the whole polygamy=higher place in heaven stuff.

I thought they did say this in a way. When the kids went on a group date thing, Kody mentioned something about wanting his children to live this type of lifestyle because he wanted them to reap the rewards. He wanted them to follow them (him and his wives) to heaven or something like that. I remember it striking me that he probably did believe the whole polygamy=higher place in heaven stuff.

They do indeed that the polyg lifestyle is the ticket to heaven. Christine frequently speaks of the "eternal goal" of why she sticks it out when it is hard to do (aka when she was heartbroken when Robyn came along)

Polygs believe they will gain their own planet and inhabit it with their own children with their polyg wives in the afterlife. (so do mainstream Mormons) It's some really deep, deep doctrinal stuff and the concept of polyg marriage being the ticket to the afterlife is in the Book of Mormon, in the Doctrine and Covenants, which is also used by mainstream LDS. The D&C states that marriage in the afterlife will be polygamous. Most mainstream Mormons ignore this, don't know about it, or pretend it isn't there.

Guest Anonymous

I think all of Codys wives were upset when Robin came into the picture. Has anyone noticed how clinging Robin seems to be with Cody. Have you seen some of the other wives expressions when Cody seems more attentive to Robin? I do have to say I like Janelle. Since she provides or was providing to the income of the family and loves working she can make it on her own. Meri could make it on her own too I believe. I think Christine and Robin couldn't get along without Cody or Kody. They seem too needy.

I think all of Codys wives were upset when Robin came into the picture. Has anyone noticed how clinging Robin seems to be with Cody. Have you seen some of the other wives expressions when Cody seems more attentive to Robin? I do have to say I like Janelle. Since she provides or was providing to the income of the family and loves working she can make it on her own. Meri could make it on her own too I believe. I think Christine and Robin couldn't get along without Cody or Kody. They seem too needy.

Meri has job skills and only one (almost adult) child, and Janelle was making most of the family's income back in UT (and some of her kids are almost adults too) I think they could leave the easiest. Christine is trapped, and so is Robyn because she isn't very bright and there would be no way she could leave and support 4 kids on her own (3 of which aren't even Kody's biologically). Hopefully she can keep that cute figure going because that is pretty much all she has going for her.

I hope Christine gets pregnant right after Robyn has her baby....(she was due yesterday)

Guest Anonymous

Of course they've all drunk the koolaid about requiring plural wives to gain more rewards in the afterlife...it's the only way the wives can preserve their sanity when confronted with the jealousies and conflict, especially since Robyn-the-midlife-crisis wife showed up.

While I think Cody's an idiot, he's not into pedophilia, forced marriage or group sex in the way Jeffs was...

Janelle seems to be sort of done with Robyn and just puts up with her. I have been noticing that Janelle sits with a frozen look on her face, often not smiling when Robyn is spouting off about something. Or she has a vague, distant, condescending smile on her face. Robyn acts as if everyone else has been added to her family, instead of realizing that she has been added to theirs and THAT is a good part of what has upset the various relationships.

I agree that Meri and Janelle could go out on their own if they had to do that or wanted to do it. I keep wondering why Janelle does not start a business similar to what she had before. Is there no market for it outside of polygamy and Mormonism? Would their polygamy really hinder a job search that much? Janelle seems very competent to me and is well spoken. Meri might have a more difficult time given her field of working with at-risk youth and the non-mainstream polygamy. But she has mentioned more than once about how the kids congregated in her wing of the house even though she had only one child. She seems to miss that even though she likes having her own home. And Christine's "onry" daughter was never that way toward Meri and liked her. The kids in the family seem to all like Meri and she relates well with them. Christine loves being home with all the children, but daycare worker or babysitting is not going to bring in enough money to support her six children.

So Cody and the four wives will all be on their own planet some day-and won't there be other wives added? Women who never married or women who were not sealed to a good Mormon husband? It is going to take more than four women to populate an entire planet! And I am figuring Meri's fertility issues will be corrected in the afterlife.

Guest Anonymous

I have friends who are polyamorous and I've been involved in polyam relationships myself. What strikes me is Codys complete disregard for the feelings of his wives, if there is discussion of any substantive nature about feelings of jealousy lack of attention etc they're not being filmed. The polyams I know and have been involved with are concerned and do discuss these issues on an ongoing basis. There is just something so lacking in the way Cody treats his wives.

edited to correct spelling

Janelle wasn't raised in polygamy - but get this - her mother is married to Kody's dad as a plural wife. It was quite the surprise on the show. I guess her mom switched over to the lifestyle after Janelle married Kody.

She actually ended up marry K's dad before Janelle and Kody were married

I feel like Robyn and Christine want to push the kids toward plural marriage, and Meri and Janelle do not seem to feel that way. Robyn gets all eleventy!!11!! about the older teenagers dating or hanging out with kids who are not from polyg families. Christine about broke down in the discussion in the pastor's office about the kids maybe getting involved in their non-LDS but Christian youth group. Geesh. In another clip, Christine said that if her children did not grow up and follow this lifestyle, she would consider herself to have "failed". :roll: I don't think a lot of those kids are going to end up in plural marriage, so she had better learn to deal.

In watching that program kind of off and on, I figured out where I'd have the biggest problem inter-relationship-wise in that family. It's would be the "other mother" stuff. For instance, when Robyn was opening her big trap about what the teens should do re: dating/social lives - when she doesn't even have any teens - as a mother of one of those teens I would have wanted to tell her to mind her own damn business and worry about raising her own rugrats. I can't imagine caring for Kody at all, and would probably pay the other women to take "my night", so I doubt I would jealous over him, but yeah, other women butting in telling my kids what they can and can't do would bug me.

And I'm not saying this to be mean, and am not snarking on them for this, but has anyone else noticed that the first three wives seem to put on weight since Robyn came into the picture? I mean, Janelle always was heavyset, and even Christine, but now Meri is looking a lot bigger, too. Or maybe her outfits just haven't been flattering. . . just an observation.

Archived