IGNORED

Warren Jeffs' Wife Escapes Polygamist Community

Uhh, I'm going to make an educated guess and say that FLDS women do not own their wombs, their husbands do. An FDLS woman has no choice in becoming pregnant or bearing a child or not.

Yikes - you're right, excellent point! An FLDS woman owns nothing.

Yikes - you're right, excellent point! An FLDS woman owns nothing.

ETA: I see from another thread that silverspoons is Mormon. Can we say apologist?

Bumping this. Let's hear it.

I'd like to hear her credentials also. She could be telling the truth but it would help me know how seriously to take statements if I knew where she'd been published.

Guest Anonymous

Hmmm I'm thinking it was the same over on TWOP. SS had a pretty captive audience there and I don't remember folks questioning her academic credentials. I'd love to see some citations of her peer reviewed stuff. I wonder if she uses the spell checker when she writes academic shit? She sure as hell doesn't when she posts.

Yep, would love to see the research. I'm not holding my breath though.

Ditto this. Especially since her statements contradict so much of what I have read/researched.

Anderson Cooper recently did a show (you can see the clips here) with Wallace Jeffs and escapees from the compound. This sure as shit isn't "15 years ago." I don't pretend to be any expert on the situation, but I am also calling complete and total bullshit. Maybe things have improved a little bit, but I'd hardly call it progress.

I'd like to see some sort of proof that a woman can just walk out, especially with all of her children in tow. Show me some success stories, silverspoons. Show me some instances of local police actually following the laws of the US instead of those of Warren Jeffs.

ETA: I see from another thread that silverspoons is Mormon. Can we say apologist?

Where was this? Because I definitely saw her write that she isn't Mormon, only that she married one, and she's implied that her husband isn't really Mormon anymore either. (Also, Mormons aren't typically all that friendly to the polygamist groups, anyway. They basically have to promise they don't support or agree with those groups to be able to enter the temple.)

I wouldn't really be surprised if she's telling the truth. She joined when the rest of us did in June and has been posting occasionally, all unrelated to polygamy until this thread, and she hasn't really said anything on this thread we didn't know, just, perhaps, a different interpretation of things.

Definitely curious to see if she's actually been published

I could see why she would not want her full name connected to a forum like this if she is involved with the FLDS academically or otherwise.

That said, I don't buy it. Warren Jeffs won't let children have toys or let women wear seasonally appropriate clothing. I seriously doubt these women are getting college educations. I seem to recall hearing recently that a lack of education is one of the major issues among escapees.

I could see why she would not want her full name connected to a forum like this if she is involved with the FLDS academically or otherwise.

That said, I don't buy it. Warren Jeffs won't let children have toys or let women wear seasonally appropriate clothing. I seriously doubt these women are getting college educations. I seem to recall hearing recently that a lack of education is one of the major issues among escapees.

A few women were permitted to attend college pre Warren Jeffs, like Carolyn Jessop did, which put her in a much better position when she escaped and probably directly contributed to her success. But even then, she didn't get to decide what to study, she wanted medicine and ended up being an elementary school teacher. In one of the books, it was mentioned that only people who had been permitted to attend college by Rulon were able to finish under Jeffs, others weren't allowed.

I do hope they're having lots of nurses trained, because the untrained nurse/midwife (Lydia?) they had their local health clinic sounded like a fucked up sadist.

OT: if I was the type to publish a non public figure, bbut a guy I work with is the spitting image of Warren Jeffs. I've never seen him in red. Hmmm...

/OT

So, silverspoon, what about all of the young men, the so called Lost Boys, dropped off with little but the clothes in cities, simply because they are young and virile? Because the girls, and I do mean girls, are married off to men old enough to be their grandfathers? This hasn't ceased, as far as I know. Do you have evidence to the contrary? I am thilled to read the wimen who escapesl stories, but it is the thrown away boys and captive girls I weep over. I really want to believe you. I do. But I don't.

Archived