IGNORED

Bill O'Reilly Interviews Polygamous Family

Guest Anonymous

my video feed is burping, but I caught that they're from Utah....wouldn't their argument for polygamy be more based on religious freedom than on the argument of two adults (gay or straight) forming a legal union?

Generally speaking, it's none of my business how consenting adults choose to live their lives. But I do have two problems with the polygamists:

1. These relationships don't always involve only consenting adults. Sometimes underaged girls are forced into marriage.

2. How do these men support multiple wives and kids? Are they getting welfare?

Generally speaking, it's none of my business how consenting adults choose to live their lives. But I do have two problems with the polygamists:

1. These relationships don't always involve only consenting adults. Sometimes underaged girls are forced into marriage.

I'm puzzled by the notion that polygamy is OK because it's between consenting adults. Yes, it may begin that way, but those adults then have children, who are deeply affected by their situation.

I don't think they forbid the women from earning money to support the family, at least not "mainstream" polygamists.

I don't think they forbid the women from earning money to support the family, at least not "mainstream" polygamists.

Also, if they are members of certain sects of fundamentalist Mormonism, like the Apostolic United Brethren (which I *think* the famous Browns are members of), people under 18 are not allowed to enter into marriage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamentalist_Mormons

Yeah, I just watched the first two seasons of Sister Wives on Netflix, and am kind of obsessed ... :?

I'm puzzled by the notion that polygamy is OK because it's between consenting adults. Yes, it may begin that way, but those adults then have children, who are deeply affected by their situation.

and so what you forbid fundamentalists to have kids because they make them think it's ok to submit? because sometimes they marry their daughters on the limit of what's legal?

How do you think the kids are going to feel if their mom singly raise them and their dad only come from time to time to visit the mom for conjugal duty, and they have to hide from their peers all the time? Is that any better for the kids?

And it's not because the parents are polygamous that the kids are going to be, just as it's not because the parents are monogamous that the kids are going to be too. It's not that easy. And if you're talking only in terms of being brain-washed, then many situations would have to be forbidden (fundamentalists, racists, etc).

Some of the FLDS cults will make a point to have their wives on as much welfare as possible, while the men try to become rich in business. It is a scam but it's actually because polygamy is illegal that these other marriages are not recognized, which qualifies these women as single moms. It would be better to recognize these marriages that exist and expect the father to contribute more, especially in the cases where he is wealthy (which is common because the richest men in the community get the most wives). But in any case, I'd rather they take welfare than for the kids to go hungry. If someone has more kids they can afford outside of polygamy, we don't use that to condemn monogamy. I don't mind people using welfare when they need it; that's why it exists.

FWIW, I don't like the one-sided patriarchal polygyny that some FLDS practice. But I don't have to like it to think it should be legal. Making it illegal doesn't make it stop happening. If the state recognizes these marriages, it gives the women more power because if they leave they will be entitled to some property and alimony. It makes it easier for them to leave if things go bad. I do think we need to have a more intensive investigation about the extreme pressure that some women face in these communities, even when they are over 18. But the issue there is forced marriage, not polygamy in general.

True, but then again the same could be said for any sort of non-traditional family. Plenty of kids in this country are raised by gay parents, divorced parents, never-married single parents, extended family members, adoptive parents, foster parents, etc. These kids may also be deeply affected by their situation, but if they are loved and if the adults in the family take good care of them, chances are they'll turn out OK even if the family structure isn't the typical Ozzy-and-Harriet setup.

Also, if they are members of certain sects of fundamentalist Mormonism, like the Apostolic United Brethren (which I *think* the famous Browns are members of), people under 18 are not allowed to enter into marriage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamentalist_Mormons

Yeah, I just watched the first two seasons of Sister Wives on Netflix, and am kind of obsessed ... :?

I just started watching it today. Kody is such a douche...

Archived