IGNORED

Couple in Michigan has 14th son

Ivycoveredtower

When the announced the pregnancy I found an old thread in the archives about them. I didn't find out too much about them and sort of lost interest. I did read a different article in our old home newspaper, but it didn't have too much to say either. I do expect they will go on to have at least 1 more baby, if not more. 

@Gobsmacked I had trouble coming up with names for my kids and I only have 3! Plus, two were girls. I can not imagine coming up with 14 boy names. 

@Ivycoveredtower Thanks for sharing that article. I didn't realize their oldest was 25 already, in my head he was closer to 20. So, maybe their baby days are coming to an end, if mom is in her 40's. 

This article is from a couple years ago but it tells that they got married at 18. I would say she is 43/44. (18 (marriage)+25(oldest kid age)=43). They have done NFP to space some of the kids and both are educated and all the kids are educated, allowed to date and go to college. I like the chore structure- kids help (as they should, I think all kids should help with chores) and in the 6th grade (about 12 yo) each boy is responsible for his own laundry.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2013/08/boys_by_the_dozen_birth_of_12t.html

I believe this family goes to my grandparent's church. I've seen them before during Easter services.

Catholics on the west side of Michigan tend to be more conservative and more similar to Christian Reform than Catholics from my area (Metro Detroit).

6 minutes ago, Alicja said:

Catholics on the west side of Michigan tend to be more conservative and more similar to Christian Reform than Catholics from my area (Metro Detroit).

I would respectfully disagree. I think some priests are more conservative thus trying to make their parishes more conservative but this family's church isn't more conservative than the ones I have been to in the Midwest (including a very polish parish in metro Detroit) and the mid-Atlantic states. I would say the priest of their parish is a moderate and the doctrine of the west side Catholics is not like Christian Reform churches, the doctrine is the same as other Catholic parishes.

(Before anyone asks, yes, I have been to their parish. No, I don't know them. No, I am not stalking them, I know people in that area.)

Just now, quiversR4hunting said:

I would respectfully disagree. I think some priests are more conservative thus trying to make their parishes more conservative but this family's church isn't more conservative than the ones I have been to in the Midwest (including a very polish parish in metro Detroit) and the mid-Atlantic states. I would say the priest of their parish is a moderate and the doctrine of the west side Catholics is not like Christian Reform churches, the doctrine is the same as other Catholic parishes.

(Before anyone asks, yes, I have been to their parish. No, I don't know them. No, I am not stalking them, I know people in that area.)

The doctrine is the same, but I just do not relate to west side Catholics in the way that I do Catholics from where I live. My grandparents actually "left" (not officially, they just go back and forth between this parish and another) that parish because the priest at the time was so conservative it offended my grandfather. Perhaps my family is just too far left relative to other Catholics.

I would have a terrible time trying to come up with a 14th boy name. The Arndts reused a ton of names for all their boys. If I had to come up with a mix of boy and girl names (like 7 girls and 7 boys) it wouldn't be as hard. But stillpro anly quite difficult sinceim quite picky.

9 minutes ago, Alicja said:

The doctrine is the same, but I just do not relate to west side Catholics in the way that I do Catholics from where I live. My grandparents actually "left" (not officially, they just go back and forth between this parish and another) that parish because the priest at the time was so conservative it offended my grandfather. Perhaps my family is just too far left relative to other Catholics.

Interesting. The current priest is pretty cool not far right. I know there are a couple priests in that area that are strict and not following the USCCB (no females as alter servers, wants women to wear head coverings at church, etc).

My family (including extended) is pretty liberal, too. As in Chris Hayes, Rachel Maddow & Lawrence O'Donnell are listened too. Fox news is not on unless we want to see how they twist the stories and CNN is watched for a more moderate reporting of events.

29 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Interesting. The current priest is pretty cool not far right. I know there are a couple priests in that area that are strict and not following the USCCB (no females as alter servers, wants women to wear head coverings at church, etc).

My family (including extended) is pretty liberal, too. As in Chris Hayes, Rachel Maddow & Lawrence O'Donnell are listened too. Fox news is not on unless we want to see how they twist the stories and CNN is watched for a more moderate reporting of events.

That's good to hear! There's one church in Detroit that follows USCCB, we went to their Tridentine midnight Christmas mass which was really neat, I wore a headscarf (my mom didn't, they didn't seem to care). I believe that church was German. Beautiful cathedral and mass but the priest's homily was... interesting to say the least.

My dad watches Fox News all the time even though he's liberal, apparently he really likes making himself seethe with rage.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived