IGNORED

The John Oliver Appreciation Thread

Destiny

I have just realised we don't have a thread devoted to appreciating my beloved John Oliver. This is a tragedy of epic proportions, and must be corrected, so, I shall leave you with this awesome bit from Sunday's show, so you can fall in love with him too.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/john-oliver-crisis-pregnancy-centers_us_5acb10a8e4b07a3485e62868?utm_campaign=hp_fb_pages&utm_source=main_fb&utm_medium=facebook&ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063

By the way, I'm totally in for making John a new Patron Saint of FJ. We haven't added one in a few years. Who's with me?

• Upvote 18
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 15

4 minutes ago, Destiny said:

By the way, I'm totally in for making John a new Patron Saint of FJ. We haven't added one in a few years. Who's with me?

Sweet Rufus, yes! He's got my vote for sure. Between Marlon Bundo the gay bunny and Vanned Parenthood, he's definitely earned an FJ sainthood.

:my_angel:

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, fraurosena said:

Sweet Rufus, yes! He's got my vote for sure. Between Marlon Bundo the gay bunny and Vanned Parenthood, he's definitely earned an FJ sainthood.

:my_angel:

Or the squirrel. Did you see the coal one? I LOVE him. 

Full disclosure, when I'm sad, I watch a few episodes of Last Week Tonight on YouTube. 

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, Destiny said:

YES! He is so wonderful.

40 minutes ago, Destiny said:

Or the squirrel. Did you see the coal one? I LOVE him. 

I love Mr. Nutterbutter! I think he's my favorite of the John Oliver cast of characters.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

2 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

I love Mr. Nutterbutter! I think he's my favorite of the John Oliver cast of characters.

Me too. The “Eat Shit Bob” bit was one of my favourite of all time. That said, nothing can surpass my beloved Wanda Jo and The Church of Our Lady of the Perpetual Exemption. It was hilarious AND made a point. 

• Upvote 20

Hmmm. Now's probably the time to mention I've been out drinking with John (my friend used to date him a gazillion years ago) He was sweet, but fairly unremarkable (she could- and did- do better.... His career has been a bit of a surprise!) 

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 2

I remember watching one of his videos where he kept referring to THESE FUCKING ARSEHOLES and I can’t remember which it was, could’ve been any of them :pb_lol:

I like the MLMs one. 

What i find interesting is that he pronounces some words in an American way and some in a British way. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, Briefly said:
We have saints? That could be so much fun!

Yes. We have St. Alan Rickman and St. Rachel Maddow. I am lobbying hard for St. John as well. Please @curious. I’ve been a good girl!

I think Hello Kitty is an honorary saint as well. 

• Upvote 11
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, Destiny said:

Yes. We have St. Alan Rickman and St. Rachel Maddow. I am lobbying hard for St. John as well. Please @curious. I’ve been a good girl!

I think Hello Kitty is an honorary saint as well. 

St. Alan Rickman, be still my heart!

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I would marry that British toucan in a hot second. 

When people ask me who my celebrity crush is and I reply John Oliver I always get confused looks :lol:

• Upvote 3
  • Love 3

You wouldn’t from me. I LOVE him. Not only is he totally my type (the geeky look does it for me), he has a ridiculously sexy brain.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Destiny said:

You wouldn’t from me. I LOVE him. Not only is he totally my type (the geeky look does it for me), he has a ridiculously sexy brain.

THIS.THIS.THIS. 

And the accent doesn't hurt :my_blush:

I am so glad this thread exist and there are other people who share my love for John Oliver 

Edited by BunnyBee
needed to add appreciation
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 1

I might be blowing my cover here a bit, but I would be considered by many of you to be Fundie-lite, and I adore John Oliver. I have done a lot of soul searching since becoming an avid FJ lurker and JO watcher. Which hasn’t been good for my very secret potty mouth. Or my relationship with my more Fundie husband. But that’s another story for...probably a while from now. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 15

I might be blowing my cover here a bit, but I would be considered by many of you to be Fundie-lite, and I adore John Oliver. I have done a lot of soul searching since becoming an avid FJ lurker and JO watcher. Which hasn’t been good for my very secret potty mouth. Or my relationship with my more Fundie husband. But that’s another story for...probably a while from now. 

Fun fact: I was still moderately fundie-lite and Republican when I started on FJ back in 2005. FJ has changed my way of thinking in so many ways, and FJ can be an educational and life changing place if you take the time to listen. It’s one of the reasons I put up with the occasional bullshit and drama, and nights like last week where I was up all night with the downtime.

I once had a secret potty mouth too, but it’s out and proud now. Embrace those fucks. default_smile.png

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 8
  • Love 8

59 minutes ago, Granwych said:

Could I nominate Stephen Fry for a FJ saint?

If he wasn’t transphobic and siding with Jordan Peterson, sure.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 2

I'm totally in favor of the John Oliver FJ Sainthood! My all-time favorite is probably his Sex Ed piece.

• Upvote 6

As a Brit. his accent confuses the heck out of me. He hasn't gone full mid-Atlantic like a lot of British expats, but the half-British, half-American pronunciations leave me going :confusion-shrug: as I try and listen. I like him though, I'm generally not a fan of American political comedy, or American comedy in general, but there's enough Britishisms in there for me to support. (And I had to change my pronunciations when I lived in the US for a summer, it was tiring having nobody understand me... though they loved to tell me how gorgeous my accent was?)

It's cool he stands out there, because in the UK I'm not sure he would when we've got Have I got News For You and all our other panel shows with more exuberant personalities. Even if it's half him just being British that makes him stand out :pb_lol:

• Upvote 3

I've never really thought much of him as a "personality". It's probably the reason he never especially stood out to me when he was on The Daily Show. I didn't dislike him, but he was never my favorite  *cough* Larry Wilmore *cough*

Most of John Oliver's appeal, for me, is due to Last Week Tonight dissecting so many topics that doesn't get much attention elsewhere on US television.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, Destiny said:

I am lobbying hard for St. John as well.

I think Rufus would approve of St. John. 

10 hours ago, BunnyBee said:

When people ask me who my celebrity crush is and I reply John Oliver I always get confused looks 

@ItsaJjungle, I was fundie-lite when I started reading FJ too! This place does a good job at forcing people to really look at challenging issues. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

Coming out of lurkdom because oh, I love me some John Oliver. 

And because I'm a nerdy Degreed Law Professional, I adore the ACLU's amicus brief in the defamation suit filed against him because he told a coal magnate to eat shit. (Yes, this looks lawyerly, but read it and ye shall not be disappointed): http://acluwv.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/2017-08-01-Proposed-Amicus.pdf

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 12

From @legalbeagle's link:

Apparently because Plaintiffs’ delicate sensibilities were offended, they clutched their pearls and filed this suit.

:laughing-jumpingpurple::laughing-jumpingpurple:

• Haha 11

@legalbeagle - Thank you, thank you!  Is the case still active, or was it dismissed after the judges and clerks stopped laughing?

“[A]fter the live taping, Defendant Oliver exclaimed to the audience that having someone in a squirrel costume tell Bob Murray to ‘Eat Shit’ was a ‘dream come true.’”3

Footnote 3 - Everyone is allowed to dream.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2