IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 33: In touch with gossip

samurai_sarah

1 hour ago, Daisy0322 said:

Why does it seem like people over 35 can't take a flattering selfie? Real question please don't hate me. 

Are you for real?

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

Why does it seem like people over 35 can't take a flattering selfie? Real question please don't hate me. 

IDK, because we have better things to do with our time than to channel our inner Lawson Bates?

To be frank, I was raised in a family, with Quaker ancestry, that valued humility and modesty (which is more than frumpers). Selfies are pretty much the antithesis of that.

2 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

Probably because by the time you get to my state of ancientness, you don't need to take pictures of yourself all the time. I read somewhere that people who are into selfies are also remarkably self centered. I don't need that bullshit validation. 

And I'll stop here...

And now we’ve swung around to insulting anyone who takes selfies. People, seriously, there IS a middle ground. :pb_lol:

6 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

And now we’ve swung around to insulting anyone who takes selfies. People, seriously, there IS a middle ground. :pb_lol:

I just took it to mean I only have 5 years of selfies left until they magically get bad. 

Not that I take very good selfies now...

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

Are you for real?

Kind of, I don't like selfies but if I were to post one I'd try to make it flattering. I was mainly wondering if there is a generational gap in what constitutes a good picture.

33 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

IDK, because we have better things to do with our time than to channel our inner Lawson Bates?

To be frank, I was raised in a family, with Quaker ancestry, that valued humility and modesty (which is more than frumpers). Selfies are pretty much the antithesis of that.

Im 26 i don't take selfies, i think it's dumb and im not good at it either. I'm just saying so many people CHOOSE to take one and it's very unflattering, then they choose to post it. My parents and many of their friends do this too. 

.... my original post came out badly because I was at the rodeo try Ming to talk my husband out of doing stupid shit lol

13 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Selfies make up the majority of the photos I have with my baby. Those tend to be bad ones because 1) I don’t put much effort into my appearance on days we don’t go anywhere and 2) my baby moves SO MUCH now that the photos where I do look good are normally ruined by the blur that is my child.  :pb_lol:

It’s good to know I have a solid five years left before my selfies become consistently bad just because I’m in them though. Gives me something to look forward to. I’ll be that ancient 35 year old looking to take the worst selfies possible so I can call it “#artsy.”  :pb_lol:

On 4/12/2018 at 7:31 PM, SapphireSlytherin said:

Josie looks just like Josiah.

I think every few kids, they get one that majorly favors Michelle, and every few they get one that majorly favors JB, and the rest are a good mix of genes lol. I personally find that Josh-Jinger-Josiah-James-Hannie-Josie are the former, and Jill-Joe-Jer-Jenni are the latter.

On 4/13/2018 at 9:49 AM, HereticHick said:

What exactly is there for kids to do at Magnolia/Silo/Gainesville whateverthehellitiscalled in Waco?

What do you do there other than eat cupcakes and browse home decor?

I don't understand why people drive hours to visit this place.

I think there's some open grassy outdoors space and games type set-up around the Silos? and to be fair, if some of the dads/"babysitters" (lmaooooo) wanted to take the kids elsewhere, Waco actually has a solid zoo and a fun children's museum. Or, more likely, it's a chance for the littles to learn to "keep sweet" :my_dodgy:

28 minutes ago, Daisy0322 said:

m just saying so many people CHOOSE to take one and it's very unflattering, then they choose to post it. My parents and many of their friends do this too.

Ooooh, maybe because we are past the narcissistic phase (I do see the irony here) and give less than a shit how we look? Maybe because it’s an “obligatory pose” somewhere for a travel album and the sun’s in our eyes and the wind is blowing and it’s hot as hell but by god we’re getting that selfie at Old Faithful/Mount Rushmore/Stonehenge/the Eiffel Tower/etc. Maybe it’s because we’ve spent the majority of our adulthood behind the camera taking photos of our bratty-assed kids who now think we take shitty selfies and bitch about it to their friends? 

I'm 70. The last selfie i took was to show off the amazing black eye i got when I tripped on a shoelace. It was about as hideous as you can imagine. I still use a camera most of the time, and Mr. Wolf still uses film. The advantage of being old, is that I don't really care.

FWIW, over 35 here.  Took a selfie just tonight to send my husband who is out of town.  He showed his younger coworker who said I was “cute”, so I guess I can take decent selfies.  

Actually - gotta say it’s really nice to be able to have a phone be able to do that. Otherwise, my kids would have no pictures of me with them.  They’d have an album like I have of my childhood, with no pictures of my mom because she was behind the camera. 

25 minutes ago, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

I think every few kids, they get one that majorly favors Michelle, and every few they get one that majorly favors JB, and the rest are a good mix of genes lol. I personally find that Josh-Jinger-Josiah-James-Hannie-Josie are the former, and Jill-Joe-Jer-Jenni are the latter.

Expanding on this, questions for everyone: which Duggar spawn look the most alike (excluding twins)?  Who looks the least like any of their siblings?

I agree that Josiah and Josie look a lot alike, but also JD and Joe.

Jinger’s darker coloring has always stood out as different from her siblings, but she does look a lot like her Michelle.  I also think Jana has a different look.

14 minutes ago, Jenn The Heathen said:

Expanding on this, questions for everyone: which Duggar spawn look the most alike (excluding twins)?  Who looks the least like any of their siblings?

I agree that Josiah and Josie look a lot alike, but also JD and Joe.

Jinger’s darker coloring has always stood out as different from her siblings, but she does look a lot like her Michelle.  I also think Jana has a different look.

Now that's she's pregnant I've had a few times where I had to do a double take because I thought Jinger and Jill looked alike. that also happened with a Jessa Picture I was sure it was Jill but it was def Jessa. 

On the food discussion, I have 3 words for you... duck fat fries. They are INSANELY good!!

I turn 39 this year and I take selfies with my kids when we go to hockey games or concerts but otherwise not so much.  I do use photo editors even on those though because being hypothyroid makes my look really full and round, and I have rosacea. But my sister is 43 and frequently takes amazing selfies!

Apologies if this was posted already, but here's the promo for next season. Looks like Joy definitely had a midwife other than Jill.

1 hour ago, SamiKatz said:

Not everyone has Kim Kardashian's photoshop skills, man.

Not everyone wants her so called skills. :kitty-wink:

Im not 35 yet. No one likes my selfies lol.

Oh and I do Jills selfie face at my baby a lot. The baby is actually amused by it unlike all of the people who see Jills face doing it and posting all the time  lol

Are people really insulted by someone tying bad selfies to a certain age group????? 

I am over 30 and in my head people over 35 are still somewhat old (described a 40 something year old woman als elderly last year). Guess, it will be a hard awakening when this birthday rolls around. Or I accept that younger people think I am old and that I won’t necessarily fit with the aesthetics of 18-28 year olds (fashion, interior, popular poses for instagram...). Don’t all people feel that people ten years older really are a different generation sometimes(even though it should be 25y for that)?

And to be honest 30+ is not that young anymore. There are windows closing from now on all the time. You cannot start training for certain jobs anymore (air traffic control- starting age u25), you might think twice about starting university (not talking about a master or PhD), for women it is starting to get harder to get pregnant statistically and it will be next to impossible once they are fully in menopause...

30+ is also not ancient. I was a bit scared around that birthday as my life didn’t match the dreams I had envisioned for me. But then it was fine and I feel much better than in my twenties today. Age brought me much needed relaxation.

I guess it is all about perspective.

19 minutes ago, just_ordinary said:

I am over 30 and in my head people over 35 are still somewhat old (described a 40 something year old woman als elderly last year).

lol what?

Joy: You never know what's going to happen next!

Me: Yes I do, courting--> engagement--> marriage---> pregnancy---> birth rinse and repeat. We know exactly what to expect.

Why do people act like selfies are some newfangled thing for youths? Here's 13-year-old Grand Duchess Anastasia taking a mirror selfie...in 1914:

Spoiler

enhanced-buzz-orig-18822-1385406513-18.j

2 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

Are people really insulted by someone tying bad selfies to a certain age group????? 

I am over 30 and in my head people over 35 are still somewhat old (described a 40 something year old woman als elderly last year). Guess, it will be a hard awakening when this birthday rolls around. Or I accept that younger people think I am old and that I won’t necessarily fit with the aesthetics of 18-28 year olds (fashion, interior, popular poses for instagram...). Don’t all people feel that people ten years older really are a different generation sometimes(even though it should be 25y for that)?

And to be honest 30+ is not that young anymore. There are windows closing from now on all the time. You cannot start training for certain jobs anymore (air traffic control- starting age u25), you might think twice about starting university (not talking about a master or PhD), for women it is starting to get harder to get pregnant statistically and it will be next to impossible once they are fully in menopause...

30+ is also not ancient. I was a bit scared around that birthday as my life didn’t match the dreams I had envisioned for me. But then it was fine and I feel much better than in my twenties today. Age brought me much needed relaxation.

I guess it is all about perspective.

I'm 54...I started an associates degree at 35 and finished at 37, I started my bachelors at 48 (have one class left). My husband bought me a muscle car at 47. 

Life starts at 50...why? Because you no longer give a flying fuck what anybody thinks about anything

I don't take selfies, I'm usually the one taking the pictures. I have nothing against selfies, I have seen some very beautiful selfies, just not of myself. :pb_lol:

On 4/13/2018 at 11:23 PM, Meggo said:

This is funny! Hubs comes from a huge family (not Duggar sized - but he's one of 9). And I just did a head count. If every single member of the family, including spouses and grand kids comes to dinner - it's 65 people. 

My nana (Mum's mum) had over 100 direct descendants.

Once you add in partners, it's quite the gathering lol.

She had ten kids. My mum and dad had eight, and in our generation there are forty something grandkids.

42 doesn't seem that big to me, lol.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived