IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 33: In touch with gossip

samurai_sarah

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pickles had the In Touch piece about Josie's education, and warned her readers not to make disparaging remarks. 

Why would Josie's education be any better than any of the others?

It's ALL subpar-

2 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Pickles had the In Touch piece about Josie's education, and warned her readers not to make disparaging remarks. 

I saw the In Touch article on Josie’s school work. I obviously don’t know if Josie is behind or not but I do know that I was doing the same work at that age and even older. I was not behind at all, I just had (and still have) terrible handwriting and most teachers felt I needed practice.

2 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

But by all means, go harass the trans child into debating with her abuser. :roll:

In Touch lifted that from the CountingOn subreddit. I'm sure the Duggars would never discuss whether or not Josie has a learning disability, but that worksheet looks like something my kindergartner did in the first few weeks of school. 

The 2 biggest disabilities that Josie has are  JB and Michelle Duggar. The same goes for all the spawn of JB and M Duggar.

4 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I agree that people shouldn't make disparaging remarks about an 8-year-old. But her parents and their methods of "educating" their children deserve MANY disparaging remarks. This reminds me of the time 6-year-old Jackson struggled with a "B is for ball" worksheet and 12-year-old James needed Derick to help him with his multiplication tables. There's nothing wrong with kids being below grade level or having learning disabilities or developmental delays or whatever. But there is something very wrong when the parents won't do anything about it because Jeebus.

56 minutes ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

I agree that people shouldn't make disparaging remarks about an 8-year-old. But her parents and their methods of "educating" their children deserve MANY disparaging remarks. This reminds me of the time 6-year-old Jackson struggled with a "B is for ball" worksheet and 12-year-old James needed Derick to help him with his multiplication tables. There's nothing wrong with kids being below grade level or having learning disabilities or developmental delays or whatever. But there is something very wrong when the parents won't do anything about it because Jeebus.

The impression I get is that with these barebones IFB SOTDRT sorts is that the aim is to impart basic literacy and numeracy and nothing beyond that. I would be surprised if any of the Duggar kids or kidults have studied algebra; Justin study of multiplication tables at twelve was probably the most complicated mathematical operation he learned, aside from long division. 

My grandson is in 8th grade. He is studying algebra, as well as everything else. He is forming his own ideas about abortion, gun control, etc. Thank you evil public school and boy scouts. He turned 14 today, and is definitely becoming his own person. I'm glad he's had these opportunities, even though he may be exposed to things we don't like. How else can he make good decisions?

1 hour ago, Cleopatra7 said:

The impression I get is that with these barebones IFB SOTDRT sorts is that the aim is to impart basic literacy and numeracy and nothing beyond that. I would be surprised if any of the Duggar kids or kidults have studied algebra; Justin study of multiplication tables at twelve was probably the most complicated mathematical operation he learned, aside from long division. 

To be fair, I'm 30 and I probably couldn't do long division if someone paid me $1,000,000.

4 minutes ago, Nargus said:

To be fair, I'm 30 and I probably couldn't do long division if someone paid me $1,000,000.

I hear you. Big fat me too on that one! However, I have been told I have nice handwriting,  Back a thousand years ago when that was still a useful skill 

@Mama Mia I have nice enough handwriting if I'm going at my own pace. Any kind of rush on it, and it looks more and more like my dad's chicken scratch as I go.

52 minutes ago, Nargus said:

If they offered me that much, I'd find a way to do it.

35 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I'd find a way to do it.

YouTube is your friend.

pickles does have an interesting post up about what type of program the Duggar's use I guess it's called accelerated christian education and it's so bad it's banned in Norway. 

I posted in the last thread about how the Duggars’ friend, Krista, had argued in her Instagram story against Lori Alexander’s post. Krista has now written a blog post on the topic and shows how the verses Lori used were completely taken out of context to further Lori’s own agenda of having women stay at home.

https://throughtheconcrete.com/2018/04/07/ladies-your-it-is-not-your-life-purpose-to-marry-and-have-children/ 

7 minutes ago, Mayluka said:

I posted in the last thread about how the Duggars’ friend, Krista, had argued in her Instagram story against Lori Alexander’s post. Krista has now written a blog post on the topic and shows how the verses Lori used were completely taken out of context to further Lori’s own agenda of having women stay at home.

https://throughtheconcrete.com/2018/04/07/ladies-your-it-is-not-your-life-purpose-to-marry-and-have-children/ 

Thanks so much for sharing that! That's super interesting and I'm thankful Krista did that...I had no idea that's what that verse was talking about in context. 

RE: Josie

My son is 6 weeks older than Josie and hasn’t done work like that since early kindergarten.  Granted, he’s considered gifted and goes to public school, but even his friends who struggle with second grade work are doing work harder than that.  

All that being said, there’s no way to know if she has a learning disability or if it’s simply as case of her parents not  valueing education at all.  For all we know, Josie is of normal academic intelligence but her parents only want her to receive a bare bones education.  Just enough to pass the homeschool tests and then start a brood of her own.

2 minutes ago, Jenn The Heathen said:

RE: Josie

My son is 6 weeks older than Josie and hasn’t done work like that since early kindergarten.  Granted, he’s considered gifted and goes to public school, but even his friends who struggle with second grade work are doing work harder than that.  

All that being said, there’s no way to know if she has a learning disability or if it’s simply as case of her parents not  valueing education at all.  For all we know, Josie is of normal academic intelligence but her parents only want her to receive a bare bones education.  Just enough to pass the homeschool tests and then start a brood of her own.

Respectfully, I think you may be jumping to conclusions. This is ONE example of her work. She may just happen to be a person who struggles with legible printing, so she has extra practice in that area.  MANY people have atrocious handwriting. Both children and grown-ups. 

She aso was very premature. It’s entirely possible they waited an extra year to start her school work. She may be doing 1st grade work instead of 2nd. 

It's kind of hard to judge what's going on with Josie's education based on one picture. The caption that she 'finished the whole grade' would seem to imply that that's the most challenging work she's doing, but then again, maybe not. I remember being in school at that age, and often they had us doing work that was ridiculously simplistic just as a refresher. It could be that Laura (or whoever posted the photo) just chose an example that wasn't really indicative of Josie's true progress, not expecting it to become public.

Or it could be a million things. Maybe she has dysgraphia and really needs to practice her handwriting. Maybe she has dyslexia. Maybe she has other issues and is progressing more slowly. It's pretty much impossible to say. The only thing we can say is that the Duggars have a history of giving their kids a really shitty education. So whether Josie has learning disabilities, cognitive delays, behaviour problems, or anything else, I think it's probably fairly safe to assume that the education she's getting absolutely sucks.

Just look at her workbook. Jesus, Jesus, Jesus! Their 'curriculum' seems to be about 5% basic skills and knowledge, 95% insane Republican Jesus indoctrination.

Josie may be behind, she may be simply practicing her handwriting (fine motor issues can be a concern for premies), or it may be yet another example of the Duggars limiting their children’s access to information. There’s no way to tell from one worksheet. However, I did a quick Google search and found the Language Arts curriculum for grades K-5 in the state of Arkansas. Judging by what we’ve seen from and know of the Duggars, I highly doubt much of this is being addressed at the SOTDRTCombined_ELA_K_5_Standards_09152017.pdf

It should also be said that Josie may be far behind in some areas and far ahead in others. Kids with spiky cognitive profiles can be significantly behind in one area and incredibly gifted in another. The problem is that the Duggars/Laura are in no way equipped to educate even children with normal cognitive profiles, let alone complex ones.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived