IGNORED

Maxwell 20: Fun just dies

samurai_sarah

I continue to be blown away by this codeine thing. I work in a healthcare adjacent field, in a state that is at the peak of the opiate crisis.

I get 16 oxycontin (no added tylenol)  a month for severe cramps. I had to sign a pain contract with my gynecologist to make this happen. I have to call the nurse every month to get the refill (and it has to be every 30 days, no less). Then they can't call it in. I have to go pick it up manually and sign for it.  Then I take it to the pharmacist. I opt for the one that does not take a mandatory hour to do paperwork on narcotic refills. Starting this January I found out that my insurance will only cover the pills every 60 days. This is not a huge deal. Pain pills are cheap. It's 9 dollars vs. 3.50. But still. It's a lot of hoops to jump through for a relatively small amount of drugs.

When I needed back surgery last spring I was bedridden the 6 weeks prior. I needed pain relief. Because of the crackdown on prescribing guidelines my gp wouldn't prescribe, she sent me to a pain clinic. They wouldn't prescribe because I had a Xanax prescription. The neurosurgeon wouldn't prescribe till after the surgery. I had a smashed disc pressing into a nerve. I ended up checking into the hospital a week early simply because I needed pain relief. (TBH, I am pretty sure at that point a couple of vicodin would have done shit) And I was scared to go to the hospital because I was afraid they'd shoo me away. "Back pain" = drug seeking. Luckily, having a scheduled surgery validated my claims.

My state has legal marijuana and prescription marijuana. Did you know that if you go to a pain clinic you are pretty much forbidden to use pot? Do you know how frustrated that makes a LOT of chronic pain sufferers who are able to get relief from marijuana and don't want to rely on opiates?

When I was reading about Canada I did see that they were considering making it prescription only. But I am still surprised that you have it available.

Sorry, this is a bit of a jumbled rant. It's such a multi-faceted problem.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After I'd posted that about the possible wisdom of older moms, It remembered how I recently blew it with one of my daughters.  My second oldest has a first born on the autism spectrum.  My daughter told me that she was trying her son on a mostly gluten-free diet.  Going gluten-free is some of the latest woo to "cure" autism.  There's no scientific data to back this up.  I just want my daughter to be aware that be aware that there's a lot of BS out there when it comes to nutrition and alternative medicine.   I didn't handle this well at all.  I'm not sure I go through to her at all. 

Btw, for those of you who read the Lori threads, my daughter has started making Einkorn bread that she gets from Thrive market.  I just hope she doesn't start wiping up chicken juice off her counters with a Norwex cloth!

On 4/16/2018 at 10:58 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I can't take ibuprofen anymore because it makes my heartburn worse. Now I have to take Tylenol and it definitely doesn't work as well for my headaches (which happen often).

I can't take any sort of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory because of a history of GERD and a hiatal hernia. Tylenol sucks. I have a hard time getting good pain relief for migraines so sometimes I use medical marijuana. 

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

After I'd posted that about the possible wisdom of older moms, It remembered how I recently blew it with one of my daughters.  My second oldest has a first born on the autism spectrum.  My daughter told me that she was trying her son on a mostly gluten-free diet.  Going gluten-free is some of the latest woo to "cure" autism.  There's no scientific data to back this up.  I just want my daughter to be aware that be aware that there's a lot of BS out there when it comes to nutrition and alternative medicine.   I didn't handle this well at all.  I'm not sure I go through to her at all. 

Btw, for those of you who read the Lori threads, my daughter has started making Einkorn bread that she gets from Thrive market.  I just hope she doesn't start wiping up chicken juice off her counters with a Norwex cloth!

Zoo makes the magical Einkhorn bread too and claims it's cured allergies and cavities and a few other things. I swear fundies believe anything and everything that isn't mainstream. 

I need to come up with some stupid magic water to sell to fundies and make millions. But it will just be tap water. 

On 4/16/2018 at 10:41 AM, nelliebelle1197 said:

I cannot remember tbh. Sara was worldlier than usual Occupants of Maxhell and for some reason I thought she dumped him. @sparkles @Palimpsest can you recall who called off the engagement?

https://simplysanctified.wordpress.com/2009/03/07/jesus-what-a-friend-and-lover/ 

She has an instagram.  Her kids are so cute!  They look like a happy family. 

50 minutes ago, theologygeek said:

https://simplysanctified.wordpress.com/2009/03/07/jesus-what-a-friend-and-lover/ 

She has an instagram.  Her kids are so cute!  They look like a happy family. 

Chris comes off as such a dick in that story. He promises they’ll still get married, then when he gets home he RINGS HER FATHER and calls the WHOLE thing off. 

Fuck you, Chris. Just fuck you.

@JermajestyDuggar,    I might describe my daughter as fundie-lite and sometimes it seems as though her good sense has flown the coop.  It doesn't help that her husband is into conspiracy theories like contrails and such bullshit.  Or that her dad is more than a bit into the woo himself.

4 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@JermajestyDuggar,    I might describe my daughter as fundie-lite and sometimes it seems as though her good sense has flown the coop.  It doesn't help that her husband is into conspiracy theories like contrails and such bullshit.  Or that her dad is more than a bit into the woo himself.

That's unfortunate. I really don't think any good comes from being a conspiracy theorist. But my husband and I are extreme cynics so many people might say we are unimaginative sticks in the mud. 

31 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Chris comes off as such a dick in that story. He promises they’ll still get married, then when he gets home he RINGS HER FATHER and calls the WHOLE thing off. 

We've discussed that post of Sara's before and I'm pretty sure she's referring to her other fiance' here, not Christopher Maxwell.

She and Chris were engaged in 2007 and were to be married later that year.  This wedding was set for March, 2009.

I don't think we ever found out what ended her engagement to Christopher.

Two broken engagements in two years, wow!

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Zoo makes the magical Einkhorn bread too and claims it's cured allergies and cavities and a few other things. I swear fundies believe anything and everything that isn't mainstream. 

I have a fundie-lite neighbor who has a step-daughter into the whole God will determine how many children, etc.  The daughter has fallen for two or three of the exercise/diet MLMs and the mother won't take prescription drugs even when she desperately needs them insisting on "all natural" approaches.

21 hours ago, freethemall said:

Safety standards do change, it does get annoying when you hear some people try to downplay how they rode around without car seats or used bumpers. This can sometimes come down to age since it's about different times, thankfully in the past...

I like to point out to those people that they are suffering from survivor's bias. The people who didn't survive due to lack of seat belts, car seats, bike helmets, whatever aren't around to contribute their point of view.

@Alice in Fundieland, that’s appalling. I thought it was bad enough when I had the flu this winter and had to hand-carry a paper prescription for my codeine cough syrup to the drug store. (I’m such a big druggie that I have two thirds of it left.)

On 4/17/2018 at 12:16 PM, AliceInFundyland said:

My state has legal marijuana and prescription marijuana. Did you know that if you go to a pain clinic you are pretty much forbidden to use pot? Do you know how frustrated that makes a LOT of chronic pain sufferers who are able to get relief from marijuana and don't want to rely on opiates?

Yup...no weed for me either...and my pain docs won't prescribe anything that works for my pain. So, I'm just pretty much miserable all the time. So over it. 

On 18/04/2018 at 7:46 AM, theologygeek said:

I am never going to stop reading that blog title sarcastically, am I. 

I had some sympathy for the young man - yeah, he should have said to her in person that he was calling it off... but geez she came across as fairly intense there, and I can see why he chickened out. There were some huge expectations going on in her head. Glad that she seems happy now.

@Ozlsn, but she’s shilling Plexus now. Do fundies have no escape from that stuff?

On 04/04/2018 at 6:03 PM, johnhugh said:

Less code means less maintenance. 

Newer browser tools like CSS Grid and IntersectionObserver, among others, allow us to do the same things as before (plus more) but with less code. That's a great situation. #css #javascript

Looks like Jess has too much time on his hand

On 4/17/2018 at 2:52 PM, PennySycamore said:

Let me preface this by saying I've been gluten free for 18 years after my allergy doc, thank Rufus, diagnosed gluten intolerance.  Otherwise, I'd still be trying to sort out a variety of weird symptoms, vague health issues and dealing with chronic sinus infections. 

I don't think anyone believes that eliminating gluten "cures" autism, but  consider this.  She eliminates gluten from the kid's diet, kid gets better in terms of behavioral issues/digestive health, kids continues gluten free.  No changes?  Then it isn't a problem.  Reintroduce wheat and things get worse?  Continue gluten free.  It isn't woo or damaging the kid in any way; it's a common sense way to sort out if wheat is a problem for the kid,  who could have challenges with digestive issues and nutrient absorption.  

The main stumbling block for people going gluten free is replacing wheat products with high glycemic index/empty calories snack food. 

But back to Maxhell. I think they are going to introduce using a pizza cutter to break apart the meat while cooking up their taco mix.  

21 minutes ago, CurlyWurly said:

They killed fun a long time ago and they've now started in on my will to live.

This is it. The sentence that sums up Maxhell. Guess we're done here...:pb_lol:

1 hour ago, Howl said:

Let me preface this by saying I've been gluten free for 18 years after my allergy doc, thank Rufus, diagnosed gluten intolerance.  Otherwise, I'd still be trying to sort out a variety of weird symptoms, vague health issues and dealing with chronic sinus infections. 

I don't think anyone believes that eliminating gluten "cures" autism, but  consider this.  She eliminates gluten from the kid's diet, kid gets better in terms of behavioral issues/digestive health, kids continues gluten free.  No changes?  Then it isn't a problem.  Reintroduce wheat and things get worse?  Continue gluten free.  It isn't woo or damaging the kid in any way; it's a common sense way to sort out if wheat is a problem for the kid,  who could have challenges with digestive issues and nutrient absorption.  

The main stumbling block for people going gluten free is replacing wheat products with high glycemic index/empty calories snack food. 

But back to Maxhell. I think they are going to introduce using a pizza cutter to break apart the meat while cooking up their taco mix.  

Don’t want to get into an argument here either, but I have family members in another country who went gluten/casein free for their autism spectrum kids 18 years ago and noticed such a difference.  And it’s not just gluten/casein- they discovered other foods seem to have a sensitivity as well.  The kids are now adults and have a harder time if they get these foods.  So while I don’t think it’s a one size fits all, I do think people can have sensitivity to things in foods and if you find eliminating something helps, go for it.  I definitely have a problem with people suggesting gluten causes autism, or eliminating it makes it go away.  In my family’s case, removing the food alleviates some of the “symptoms”.  They still have autism; the food items just make things harder for them.

I want to find out someday that the Titus2 blog is a very long-running joke and we've been trolled. 

On 18/4/2018 at 12:38 AM, mango_fandango said:

She broke the engagement, not Christopher. In her blog she's talking about another relationship.

Oh. Whoops. :tw_grimace:

In that case, it’s this second guy who comes across badly.

11 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

She broke the engagement, not Christopher. In her blog she's talking about another relationship.

I dunno about that--I seem to remember the Maxwells' posting that the engagement was something along the lines of the Lord leading them to see that it was "not to be."  The Maxwells didn't write anything about Sara like they did about Elizabeth Munke.

Both Sara and Elizabeth dodged bullets with those broken engagements.

On 4/6/2018 at 11:36 AM, Black Aliss said:

Sorry. I should have said that "in the United States, it's a midwestern thing". I've lived in Boston and I don't recall any Italian Americans eating "dinner" mid-day except, of course, on Sunday.

Life long Illinois resident here. Not a Midwestern thing. I always thought it was more a rural/urban thing.

On 4/20/2018 at 6:35 PM, Granwych said:

I dunno about that--I seem to remember the Maxwells' posting that the engagement was something along the lines of the Lord leading them to see that it was "not to be."  The Maxwells didn't write anything about Sara like they did about Elizabeth Munke.

Both Sara and Elizabeth dodged bullets with those broken engagements.

I bet they would have written something like that no matter what happened though, right? Easier than writing "our family/son scared this one off, please let us know if you or a godly friend would like to audition to marry him and become part of our extended family"

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived