IGNORED

Kendra and Joe Duggar 9: Garrett David Has Arrived

Jellybean

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

Registries are great so no one gets 27 toasters for their wedding .

I had to buy a toaster. And a mixer. Even with a registry, nobody bought us one! lol

30 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

25 years ago, my dad and all his coworkers purposefully bought the identical toaster for a wedding.

I just went to a wedding tonight. After all the crap she got for showers and the 3 different registries, I just bought them a Target gift card, that way the can buy what ever they want.  

I loved the toilet paper bridal gown game at my bridal shower. I had my 3 and 5 year old nieces dressed as brides. Since it was a coed shower my fiance and brother-in-law were "brides" as well. It was the 1st time time any of my family could meet my fiancess family. It was especially meaningful, since none of my friends could attend either my shower or my wedding. (My wedding was in Virginia. They were in Arizona.) 

For baby showers (which I no longer have to worry about), I always gave the same gift...diapers and wipes. For "new baby" gifts I usually give a "pamper mom" basket. Everybody buys a shit ton of stuff for the baby and sorta leaves mom out of it. 

The next wedding I'll have to buy something for is my daughter's...probably just a gift card worth some decent coin. They close on their new house in 26 days and the wedding will be sometime later this year. Something about the house and her last semester of school...I just need to mention...this was the child who ended up in prison for doing some really stupid illegal shit. She's clean and sober and has been for quite a while, has 3 associates degrees, is finishing a bachelor's in Computer Science and is debating grad school...I'm just a wee bit proud of her. 

3 hours ago, feministxtian said:

For baby showers (which I no longer have to worry about), I always gave the same gift...diapers and wipes. For "new baby" gifts I usually give a "pamper mom" basket. Everybody buys a shit ton of stuff for the baby and sorta leaves mom out of it. 

The next wedding I'll have to buy something for is my daughter's...probably just a gift card worth some decent coin. They close on their new house in 26 days and the wedding will be sometime later this year. Something about the house and her last semester of school...I just need to mention...this was the child who ended up in prison for doing some really stupid illegal shit. She's clean and sober and has been for quite a while, has 3 associates degrees, is finishing a bachelor's in Computer Science and is debating grad school...I'm just a wee bit proud of her. 

I don't know her and I'm more than a wee bit proud too, what an amazing achievement!

I'm the eldest child and I've sort of adopted the maternal role since my mum died. One of the youngest had mental health issues, disappeared for a while, was emotionally abusive for a long time. She has turned everything around, she has a job, she's married, she's pregnant, she has her own home and she worked through her demons. I am more proud of her than anything I've ever achieved myself.

6 hours ago, feministxtian said:

I'm just a wee bit proud of her. 

Tell her AuntieSapphire is very proud of her too! 

@feministxtian I'm proud of her too! :) It's always nice to hear a good story! 

I do diapers and wipes too. If I'm feeling fancy I will put them in a basket. 

The big gift we got for my first nephew was the crib bedding my sister and BIL asked for. We also got them clothes in different sizes, books, a stuffed owl (they went with a very mild Harry Potter themed nursery), and a blanket I knit (he apparently still loves dragging it around the house with him.) He was our first niece or nephew, so we were pretty excited to get him stuff. Luckily everything we picked was pretty useful.

They're expecting their second son this summer and will be reusing pretty much everything. I had figured they’d need diapers, but I asked my sister what to get anyways - she said diapers. So we’ll get them diapers along with a few little things - I’m planning to get the new little love of my life a stuffed toy from my kids and a little shirt that’ll coordinate with a shirt we get his big brother. I’m thinking something like this would be cute:

B365CA33-50B3-4D87-A6DB-2C0D8A447BEC.jpeg.dcd2f915a42cef8101cd0a5d11c8ed82.jpeg

11 hours ago, feministxtian said:

..I'm just a wee bit proud of her. 

I'm praying that my own little miscreant will get out of prison in 2020 and get his head on straight. He's talking the right line; I hope he adheres to it.. Congratulations to your daughter and may she thrive!

I always read threads about showers with fascination. In Ireland, baby showers are generally not a thing. Although I notice the tradition is creeping in. I never had one. You get a gift AFTER baby arrives. Generally close family and friends try to arrange to buy you something useful, like a buggy or cot. Or you buy your own essentials. It’s considered bad luck by the older generation to buy for a baby that hasn’t been safely born.

re weddings, most people give cash. Nearly all couples have a home set up pre wedding and don’t require household items. Gift registries do exist for things like China and nice things. But cash is king.

i think culturally, Irish people like to gift give on their own terms :my_biggrin:

I just recently went to a baby shower (first baby).  It was her third shower though. Everyone brought a a pack of diapers as an entry into a raffle and everyone brought a book instead of a card. I usually tend to do either diapers and wipes (I used cloth with my kids so I try to find out what the parents are planning on first) or books. Since it was the third shower and I know she is pretty well set for stuff I went ahead and got her a gift certificate for a massage. Normally, I would stick to registry stuff but since it was pretty picked over I felt pretty confident with my choice. 

I like registries for a few reasons. One - it's a go-by. So for my cousin's sons shower - I barely know him, never met his fiancé, not going to make the wedding out of town. I don't know these two that well. So my mom and sister and I went in on silverware for their bridal shower. (of course - they're from out of town - so they asked all gifts be sent to her parents house because they'd be flying in) And for their wedding - I dunno. 

But for babies - it's also helpful to know that Mom asked for the thing I was thinking of getting her and no one else got her yet - score! It's the same thing I buy for every baby - no matter what other gift I get (the nose Frida - works way better than the bulb sucker thing and easier to clean). But I also riff off that. Mom's into owls - and I find a cute little owl related thing NOT on her shower that still might be useful - I pick it up.

I use them as suggestions - especially if I know the person really well. I'll buy their towels and then find some cool bath thing to go along with it - or their wine glasses and a nice opener etc. 

On 4/21/2018 at 8:59 PM, 2manyKidzzz said:

I registered for a Crockpot. I got 3 (one of which is a triple crockpot so it's been used exactly once in the last 3 years, for a Christmas party).  I registered for 0 pizza stones. I got 3.

I just always get a gift card for whatever store the couple was registered at. 

For baby showers, I get a cute onesie/outfit in the 3-6 month or bigger size because most of the time people go crazy with newborn sizes, and then I get a bottle of wine and gift card for a pedicure for mom.

I always buy diapers and wipes and a copy of The Pokey Little Puppy. If I'm really close to the person, I'll buy a pack of onesies, size 3-6 months, and maybe some socks as well.

For babies, I always give an "I:my_heart:NY" onesie (I buy a couple every time I'm in the City) and a copy of The Very Hungry Caterpillar. :) 

I like to do give cash for weddings that way they can do whatever they want with it. Baby showers its a gift and always a couple onesies because their all just so cute.         

3 hours ago, Irishy said:

re weddings, most people give cash. Nearly all couples have a home set up pre wedding and don’t require household items. Gift registries do exist for things like China and nice things. But cash is king.

i think culturally, Irish people like to gift give on their own terms :my_biggrin:

Hahah now I know where Newfoundland gets the whole cash is king thing! I've looked at people like they had two heads when they mentioned registering for wedding gifts. Generally the only thing I've seen at weddings is quilts that someone's Nan or great aunt made. Other than that there's the card box which is overflowing! :D

When I go to a bridal or baby shower I get something off the registry. When I go to a wedding I give money. 

When my good friend got married about 10 years ago the woman who took care of her grandmother for the last 10 years of her life gave her a hand made gift for her shower. I thought it was the nicest thing. 

After having a baby shower myself- I will always buy off the registry IF I was going to buy an item that they registered for(like if they are asking for a bouncer I would buy them that exact bouncer from the registry). I spent a lot of time picking out and researching the baby gear I wanted. I have a small house so I tried to get as many space saving items as possible. If someone would have bought me a high chair that didn't fold up, I would have returned it for one that did. It's not that I'm not grateful for the gift, it just wouldn't function in our home the way I would want it to. 

15 minutes ago, JesSky03 said:

After having a baby shower myself- I will always buy off the registry IF I was going to buy an item that they registered for(like if they are asking for a bouncer I would buy them that exact bouncer from the registry). I spent a lot of time picking out and researching the baby gear I wanted. I have a small house so I tried to get as many space saving items as possible. If someone would have bought me a high chair that didn't fold up, I would have returned it for one that did. It's not that I'm not grateful for the gift, it just wouldn't function in our home the way I would want it to. 

Baby items are so personal and have so many different features for comfort or safety.  You always want to give the one the parents want.  Even with onesies you want to respect their parenting choices so if they are going gender neutral give them something gender neutral.  Its an area where choices are attacked so much you really need to keep in mind that buying something different can feel like an attack to the parents.  

I like to buy off a registry and always include the receipt. I like to know I am giving something wanted and useful. And i don’t enjoy guessing what to get.

I like to go to showers. Mostly just to chat. Never had to play obnoxious games so I guess that’s why I like them.

2 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

I like to go to showers. Mostly just to chat. Never had to play obnoxious games so I guess that’s why I like them.

Same here. I live in NJ. I went to college in Long Island, NY.  I loved going to my friend's shower because I got to see my friends that I had not seen in person for a while. 

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived