IGNORED

Gun Violence Part 2: Thoughts and Prayers STILL Don't Work

Destiny

OK, misc. fast updates: the Great Mills shooter (in my freaking back yard, FFS!) apparently died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. I am frankly very happy that the poor cop isn't having to go through too many agonies of "did I do it?"  https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/student-gunman-died-of-self-inflicted-gunshot-to-head-in-md-school-shooting/2018/03/26/761c1e38-3142-11e8-8abc-22a366b72f2d_story.html?utm_term=.c99b2837041d

(Seriously gross and possibly upsetting):  See later text, no pics:

Iff'n you WANT hard ugly graphic testimony re: gunshot wounds and just how useless CPR can be (PAGING RICK SANTORUM, STAT!), someone (anyone!) send me [cyber-stoopid here] a link on how to shoot a pic from a book, using an ancient flip phone, and then how to upload it.  I have a dead-tree version of Adelson's Pathology of Homicide (1974) handy, and if you want Very Graphic Pics of what Major Gunshot Wounds will do, will try to oblige.  Wish I'd gotten copies for the March for Our Lives---but def under a spoiler.  (Hint: one .308 rifle slug really maimed an 11-year-old girl.  Does anyone else want to grab LaPierre of the NRA and make him look at autopsy pics?)

Yes, tasteless, probably upsetting, but all gods-damn-it, I'm REALLY pissed off about the idea of war weapons loose in civilian society.

• Upvote 2

And, in the aftermath of this, a WaPo article (link inserted): 

OK, gun control debaters: help me out here, because a Librul and Stoopid Snowflake. A kid with Some Significant Psych Issues (define them as *you* want: the professionals said depression, among others--read article) spreading back 10+ years, and parents were well aware, as well as school officials, that there Might Be Problems. (See link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/…/6e4326c4-02a9-11e8-bb03-72…

Number one: what the HELL was going on where you had an unsecured gun in that house, given those circumstances? Number two: what criminal responsibility does the "lawful" gun owner have for not keeping that gun in a secured safe, under a combination lock? Number three: Would a "grab all guns in that house!---high risk for Issues" have saved one or two lives? (N.B.: Yes, the accused assailant was able to access a knife and a hammer--neither of which is likely to be majorly fast OR effective over distance.)

I eagerly await thoughtful answers.

• Upvote 4

Did anyone read about this?:

PARKLAND, Fla. — My first interaction with Nikolas Cruz happened when I was in seventh grade. I was eating lunch with my friends, most likely discussing One Direction or Ed Sheeran, when I felt a sudden pain in my lower back. The force of the blow knocked the wind out of my 90-pound body; tears stung my eyes. I turned around and saw him, smirking. I had never seen this boy before, but I would never forget his face. His eyes were lit up with a sick, twisted joy as he watched me cry.

The apple that he had thrown at my back rolled slowly along the tiled floor. A cafeteria aide rushed over to ask me if I was O.K. I don’t remember if Mr. Cruz was confronted over his actions, but in my 12-year-old naïveté, I trusted that the adults around me would take care of the situation.

Five years later, hiding in a dark closet inside Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, I would discover just how wrong I was.

I am not writing this piece to malign Nikolas Cruz any more than he already has been. I have faith that history will condemn him for his crimes. I am writing this because of the disturbing number of comments I’ve read that go something like this: Maybe if Mr. Cruz’s classmates and peers had been a little nicer to him, the shooting at Stoneman Douglas would never have occurred.

This deeply dangerous sentiment, expressed under the #WalkUpNotOut hashtag, implies that acts of school violence can be prevented if students befriend disturbed and potentially dangerous classmates. The idea that we are to blame, even implicitly, for the murders of our friends and teachers is a slap in the face to all Stoneman Douglas victims and survivors.

A year after I was assaulted by Mr. Cruz, I was assigned to tutor him through my school’s peer counseling program. Being a peer counselor was the first real responsibility I had ever had, my first glimpse of adulthood, and I took it very seriously.

Despite my discomfort, I sat down with him, alone. I was forced to endure his cursing me out and ogling my chest until the hourlong session ended. When I was done, I felt a surge of pride for having organized his binder and helped him with his homework.

Looking back, I am horrified. I now understand that I was left, unassisted, with a student who had a known history of rage and brutality.

Like many pre-teenage and teenage girls, I possessed — and still, to an extent, possess — a strong desire to please. I strive to win the praise of the adults in my life and long to be seen as mature beyond my years. I would have done almost anything to win the approval of my teachers.

This is not to say that children should reject their more socially awkward or isolated peers — not at all. As a former peer counselor and current teacher’s assistant, I strongly believe in and have seen the benefits of reaching out to those who need kindness most.

But students should not be expected to cure the ills of our genuinely troubled classmates, or even our friends, because we first and foremost go to school to learn. The implication that Mr. Cruz’s mental health problems could have been solved if only he had been loved more by his fellow students is both a gross misunderstanding of how these diseases work and a dangerous suggestion that puts children on the front line.

It is not the obligation of children to befriend classmates who have demonstrated aggressive, unpredictable or violent tendencies. It is the responsibility of the school administration and guidance department to seek out those students and get them the help that they need, even if it is extremely specialized attention that cannot be provided at the same institution.

No amount of kindness or compassion alone would have changed the person that Nikolas Cruz is and was, or the horrendous actions he perpetrated. That is a weak excuse for the failures of our school system, our government and our gun laws.

My little sister is now the age that I was when I was left alone with Mr. Cruz, anxious and defenseless. The thought of her being put in the same situation that I was fills me with rage. I hope that she will never know the fear that I have become so accustomed to in the past month: The slightest unexpected sound makes my throat constrict and my neck hairs curl. I beg her to trust her gut whenever she feels unsafe. And I demand that the adults in her life protect her.

From: I Tried to Befriend Nikolas Cruz. He Still Killed My Friends.

Many people are saying that hanging out with the outcasts are the so called easiest ways to prevent shootings. But we know through history that it's a result of men who are often times domestic abusers and that those that did try to friend/be nice to them felt that it didn't change in the end.

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2

This child, who is no longer a child. She is young woman of color and Jewish. People need to listen to her. To hear her say "Never again", I can't stop crying.

WATCH: 11-Year-Old Naomi Wadler’s Powerful Speech At The March For Our Lives

One of the most powerful speeches at the March for Our Lives gun control rally in Washington, D.C. was given by 11-year-old Naomi Wadler, who said she was there to represent other African-American women whose experiences with gun violence are often not covered by the media.

Wadler, who is African-American and Jewish, had organized a walkout at her elementary school in Alexandria, Virginia as part of a national protest on March 14. They stood outside for 18 minutes — one minute longer than the rest of the country — to honor Courtlin Arrington, a black girl from Alabama who had been killed in a school shooting in Alabama after the high school massacre in Parkland, Florida.

“I represent the African American women who are victims of gun violence, who are simply statistics instead of vibrant, beautiful girls that fill a potential,” Wadler said.

She pointed out that gun violence disproportionate affects women and people of color.

“For far too long, these names, these black girls and women have been just numbers,” she added. “I’m here to say ‘Never Again!’ for those girls too. I’m here to say that everyone should value those girls, too.”

She dismissed the idea that she was being coached on what to say.

“My friends and I might be still be 11 and we might still be in elementary school, but we know life isn’t equal for everyone and we know what is right and wrong,” she said. “We also know that we stand in the shadow of the Capitol, and we know that we have seven short years until we too have the right to vote.”

Wadler, a fifth-grader at George Mason Elementary School, had received pushback from her school’s administration because the adults felt that walking outside in the middle of the day was not safe.

“How we be will be safe in our own classrooms in the world we live in now when it’s okay for someone to walk into a store with an expired ID and buy an assault rifle?” Wadler responded at a local town hall.

Fuck you Laura Ingram.  Fuck you  Fox News. Fuck you Donald Trump. Fucking rot in hell NRA.

• Upvote 11

https://www.newsandguts.com/parkland-survivor-hits-fox-commentator-hurts-wallet/

laura Ingraham was mocking David Hogg about getting rejected from 4 colleges and whining about it (with a 4.2 GPA, and also his statements weren’t whining but saying my friends and I are worrying about college in addition to trying to make change happen- there was no how could they reject me talk). So Hogg took to Twitter as well, posting Ingraham’s show’s largest supporters. From the almost immediate response, several companies have already pulled advertising. At which point Ingraham issues an apology “in the spirit of Holy Week.” 

Way to be against bullying FOX

Edited by neurogirl
  • Upvote 7

16 hours ago, samira_catlover said:

And, in the aftermath of this, a WaPo article (link inserted): 

OK, gun control debaters: help me out here, because a Librul and Stoopid Snowflake. A kid with Some Significant Psych Issues (define them as *you* want: the professionals said depression, among others--read article) spreading back 10+ years, and parents were well aware, as well as school officials, that there Might Be Problems. (See link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/…/6e4326c4-02a9-11e8-bb03-72…

Number one: what the HELL was going on where you had an unsecured gun in that house, given those circumstances? Number two: what criminal responsibility does the "lawful" gun owner have for not keeping that gun in a secured safe, under a combination lock? Number three: Would a "grab all guns in that house!---high risk for Issues" have saved one or two lives? (N.B.: Yes, the accused assailant was able to access a knife and a hammer--neither of which is likely to be majorly fast OR effective over distance.)

I eagerly await thoughtful answers.

Here's something to keep you up at night:  According to research reported by the AAP ONLY 31.8% of homes with children where guns were present stored those guns locked and unloaded.  In homes with children where a child HAD A HISTORY OF SELF-HARM RISK FACTORS and guns were present ONLY 34.9% of those guns were stored locked and unloaded. *:pulling_hair:

*http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2018/02/19/peds.2017-2600

• Disgust 1
  • Sad 3
  • WTF 3

7 hours ago, candygirl200413 said:

Did anyone read about this?:

From: I Tried to Befriend Nikolas Cruz. He Still Killed My Friends.

Many people are saying that hanging out with the outcasts are the so called easiest ways to prevent shootings. But we know through history that it's a result of men who are often times domestic abusers and that those that did try to friend/be nice to them felt that it didn't change in the end.

It reminds me of "Just Say No."

• Upvote 1
  • Disgust 1
  • I Agree 4

Excellent interview with Steve Schmidt: "WATCH: Steve Schmidt Says David Hogg Is Fearless: ‘This Kid’s Not Scared’"

Spoiler

In an appearance on the MSNBC program Deadline White House, Republican strategist Steve Schmidt spoke about what it took to eke out an apology from Fox News host and longtime conservative radio personality Laura Ingraham; namely, fearlessness.

And he called out the Republican Party in general and Speaker of the House Paul Ryan in particular for lacking it.

In an exchange with fellow guest Jim Messina, Democratic political adviser and White House Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations under President Barack Obama, and host Nicole Wallace, Schmidt, best known for strategic roles on Republican political campaigns, referred to Speaker Ryan as “America’s greatest scared rabbit.”

Nicole Wallace: “Steve Schmidt, I want to you button this whole thing up. You brought us to being in business with Laura Ingraham. I want you to button up that conversation, but also bring us back to your thoughts on David Hogg and what he achieved today that you and I worked for multiple politicians who were attacked by Laura Ingraham and they never eked out an apology from her.”

Steve Schmidt: “No, that’s right. John Heilman talked a minute ago about fear and we think about politics today, we think particularly about the Republican majority and America’s greatest scared rabbit Paul Ryan and we look at all these Republican members that are scared to death, scared to death of Fox News, of Laura Ingraham, of Rush Limbaugh and what you see in this young man’s quality of character, fearlessness.”

Maybe that’s what happens after you’ve been down range of an AR-15 that kills your classmates and comes close to killing you. You lose all fear because this kid is not scared. He’s not scared of the NRA. He’s not intimidated and scared by Laura Ingraham. Laura Ingraham huffs and puffs. You have half the Republican party hiding under the table. Half of them are hiding under their bed. they’re so scared. So timid, so skittish, not these kids, though.

“And I think that it’s going to be definitional to the political debate that we see play out between November of 2018 when I think Trumpism will be roundly repudiated in the next Presidential Election in 2020. But it’s such a contrast, these kids, to the elected officials in the republican party.”

On Wednesday night, after 54 year old Laura Ingraham mocked him on Twitter, saying 17 year old David Hogg  was “whining” about his college application process, Hogg called for a boycott of her program sponsors on social media under the hashtag #BoycottIngrahamAdverts.

• Upvote 3

Could things get any more twisted?

Ohio student shot at school gets detention for participating in national school walkout — then told to apologize

Less than two years ago, Cooper Caffrey was sitting in his school’s cafeteria eating chicken nuggets. Then he was shot. So, it seems fitting he would want to participate in the protests demanding school safety and a stop to school shootings. Yet, when he did, his principal gave Caffrey detention.

A Cincinnati.com report details how Caffrey remembers falling to the ground, being unsure what happened, and watching his fellow students run away from him. Four students were injured that day, including Caffrey, who later offered forgiveness to the 14-year-old shooter.

Caffrey’s dad sometimes jokes that because his son was shot on a Leap Year that they only have to worry every four years. He knows it isn’t true. Every time there’s a school shooting both of them get text messages while the teen is forced to watch others experience what he did.

On March 14, Caffrey went to school, ready to join students across the United States in walking out of class to protest school shootings. While the effort was led by Parkland, Florida students that had just survived a mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, many young people, who fear for their safety, were more than happy to lend their voice to the cause. Caffrey was one of them.

His principal made an announcement that morning that many were wearing the colors of MSD in solidarity, however, he warned all students that if they walked out, they’d be sent to detention. Caffrey was furious.

When the time came, Caffrey, along with 42 other students, walked past the cafeteria in which he was shot, and out their school’s doors. They were all given detention.

The quiet Republican-leaning town is now being torn apart by those protesting the decision. Protests have popped up across from the school with parents and friends demanding the school administration “encourage (not punish) bravery.” Caffrey’s own father agreed with the principal’s decision to punish the students, but not for the reason they might think.

“The whole purpose of a walkout is to protest against an establishment,” he wrote in a Facebook post. “I do not expect the establishment to support the walkout.”

If the students weren’t punished it would have been pointless. The punishment has garnered local media reports and sparked a conversation about the shooting the school experienced in 2016. However, the students did meet with the administrators in an effort to come to some sort of mutual agreement prior to the walkout. The administration, however, refused to budge.

The school’s spokeswoman told Cincinnati.com the students seeking to show a solidarity after Parkland. The student council agreed that a walkout might be seen as advocating for gun control, something their community opposes. Thus the decision was born to wear the colors and not to walk out.

“He’s always hated the attention from all of this,” his dad said. “I know that he really just wanted to pretend that day never happened.”

Still, Caffrey took a stand. He along with his fellow students stood in silent prayer for 17 minutes. Then he suffered the consequences.

This week, the family attended the local school board meeting where the members brought up the walkout. Superintendent Curtis Philpot asked if any of the other members had anything to say about any other expected walkouts. The elected panel all agreed that students should be punished.

“We are a society of rules,” one said.

Board President David French even went so far as to say that the students should apologize to the school resource officer.

Caffrey’s father turned to his son and watched the blood drain from his face.

“It was like being shot all over again,” Caffrey told his dad of French’s words. Once again, he was back on the cold cafeteria floor, begging for help. French wanted an apology instead.

He watched the board devolve into a discussion of teachers arming themselves in schools. The teen just buried his face in his hands.

“We should come to every single one of these things so that doesn’t happen,” he said.

"I'm so sorry I got shot and stood in prayer for 17 minutes because I don't want to get shot again, nor do I want other students to be shot. So, so sorry for that."

Are we living in the upside-down or something?

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 6

The wonderful and satirical Alexandra Petri wrote this: "I am sick of these kids demanding safe spaces"

Spoiler

I am sick of these children and their demands for safe spaces.

Safe spaces! Back in my day, all we had were dangerous spaces. People would call you names that would turn your ears blue. Everyone had measles, mumps and rubella, just as a matter of course, and we did not go crawling to our family physicians for so-called vaccines. Disease was a ritual of childhood. We toughed it out. We built character.

We did not have satellite radio or the Internet. We had to make our own electricity by rubbing sticks together. Everyone had six guns apiece, which we used to fight world wars. (There has not been a good world war for too long, and kids have gotten needlessly soft.) When children misbehaved, their parents were strongly encouraged to hit them with a rod.

Nobody wore safety belts. The water was full of mercury. The fish were full of sewage. Nobody recycled ANYTHING. When someone fell ill, you just hoped and prayed. (More things should be resolved that way: not with regulations or attempts at solutions but by wishing and hoping and thinking and praying. That was good enough for us, and any change in the world since then has been a change for the worse.)

We used to crawl to school uphill both ways in blinding snowstorms. We used to drink water from lead pipes. Some children still do this, but not nearly enough of them. There was smog in the air as thick as a man’s fist. You could smoke on airplanes. In fact, you were encouraged to do so. It was this pointless suffering that made me who I am.

Dare I deny these benefits to the children of today?

I look at kids these days and I despair. They need to man up and solve their own problems. They need to stop demanding to be coddled. Children now are bad and soft, and far too few of them have experienced the grit developed by being needlessly exposed to communicable diseases, or urged to ride bicycles without helmets.

Now, suddenly, they want to get rid of guns, too. The one thing I know is that we cannot stop guns. There is no point in discussing that; that is an immutable aspect of human nature. Children need to toughen up and learn how to care for themselves. They should learn CPR. And they need to stop using rude words when they respond to me, specifically, although I get to use those words back, as it will make them stronger and hardier.

If we let these kids have their way, soon there will not be danger anywhere. They will be able to go to school in the morning and feel confident that they will be able to come home in the evening. This is a radical thing to ask. I remember no such certainty. It is, therefore, undesirable. These children are weak. I do not want my children to live in a better world than the world that I grew up in, or the one we live in now. That would be to admit that things have progressed, and I do not admit that.

That is what conservatism means to me: the ability to pass the dangers and privations of my life on to the generation that will come after. The hope that their lives will be, if not actively worse than mine, then certainly no better. The idea that I suffered not because there were no better choices but because the suffering was inherently good.

If anyone were to think differently, that would be the real tragedy. Children are weak. They are whiners. They deserve my mockery.

If I were forced to spend a single day in which I did not insult the youth, that would be the real tragedy. If I had to let any argument I disagreed with go unanswered, because attacking a child would be ghoulish — that would be letting them win.

I am sick of these children and their demands for safe spaces. Safe spaces! I refuse to modify my argument in any way to reflect the fact that what they are asking to be kept safe from is not words but bullets. I refuse to be silent even for a moment.

When I was young, children were seen but not heard. If children suddenly started to be heard, that would be the greatest tragedy of all.

Sadly, her joking sounds like Laura Ingraham's regular crap.

• Upvote 6

On 3/27/2018 at 4:17 PM, fraurosena said:

If you think this is a hoax, think again.

Oh, hell, why not? My idiot SiL who is also a yoga teacher was carrying a concealed weapon without a permit until very recently. Peace, love, chakras and ammo. 

What I came to post: 

I'm tired of the hypocritical nonsense from the Right. Two examples: 

Right wing asses: "We're the only real patriots. Liberals hate the Constitution and don't love our country". 

Same right wing asses: "We need guns so we can protect ourselves from the tyrannical and evil government." 

Because true patriotism is being obsessed with the notion that you need to stockpile weapons in case you need to commit treason. 

Right wing assholes: "Bullying causes school shootings so we don't need gun control; we just need to teach kids to be nicer to each other". 

Same right wing assholes: "We disagree with these kids protesting so let's launch nasty cyber-bullying campaigns against them!" 

• Upvote 10

I see that fuck Ted Nugent has opened his hole again.

National Rifle Association board member and rock musician Ted Nugent believes the survivors of the Parkland school shooting "have no soul."

In a radio interview Friday with fellow conservative Joe Pagliarulo on the host's talk show, The Joe Pags Show, Nugent called the teen activists who survived the February school shooting in Florida that killed 17 students "mushy-brained," "liars," "pathetic" and "soulless."

Nugent, 69 and a longtime NRA board member, spoke to Pagliarulo about the young activists who have been leading protests against gun violence and the NRA across the country. The host and guest singled out student leaders Emma González and David Hogg, dissecting a clip from the teens' CNN interview in which they called for politicians to stop accepting donations from the NRA, which González called "blood money."

"The lies from these poor, mushy-brained children who have been fed lies and parrot lies," Nugent said. "The level of ignorance goes beyond stupidity. The National Rifle Association are a bunch of American families who have a voice to stand up for our God-given, constitutionally given right to keep and bear arms."

Fuck you Ted Nugent. 

• I Agree 6
  • Love 1

I would boycott Ted Nugent but I don't know how. 

Edited by AmazonGrace
  • Upvote 3
  • WTF 5

Good grief.

Shave their heads and all girls look exactly the same, right?

• Upvote 7
  • WTF 2

Damn. It's happening again. 

Reports of Active Shooter at YouTube Headquarters

Multiple tweets embedded in article, from police and from people inside the building as it's happening. Quoting is not working for me now so you'll have to click on the MoJo link above.

• Sad 3

More info:

Although it's not known exactly what's going on, the ATF is now at the scene. Sadly, there are also reports of victims:

California is considering a bill that would restrict when police may use their firearms.

On the heels of police officers shooting a young, unarmed black man to death in Sacramento, California, last month, state lawmakers announced a first-of-its-kind bill on Monday that raises the standard for when officers may open fire.

The proposed legislation would change the guidance in California’s use of force laws so that police may open fire ”‘only when necessary’ rather than ‘when reasonable,’” Sacramento-based Assemblyman Kevin McCarty (D), said at a press conference Tuesday.

He co-authored the bill with fellow Democrat Assemblywoman Shirley Weber with support from the American Civil Liberties Union and fellow members of the California Legislative Black Caucus. They were joined at Tuesday’s press conference with Sacramento leaders from the NAACP and the Black Lives Matter movement, along with the grandfather of 22-year-old Stephon Clark, last month’s shooting victim.

“We should no longer be the target practice of a ‘shoot first, ask questions later’ police force,” Assemblyman Christopher Holden (D) said, before listing the names of several other unarmed black victims of police shootings. 

Yeah, I know Spanky McPayHerOff, the poor put upon police unions, and reich wingers everywhere will be whining about this but frankly, I think its an idea whose time has come.  I'm from the Benjamin Sisko school when it comes to armed personnel - police, military, etc - dealing with civilians...

"We don't put civilians at risk or even potentially at risk to save ourselves. Sometimes that means we lose the battle, and sometimes our lives. But if you can't make that choice, then you can't wear that uniform."

At the end of the day the lives of American civilians has to come first, even if it means that an officer has to put him or her self in danger or make the ultimate sacrifice, and any cop not liking that can smooch my backside.  You signed up for this so either live with it or get the fuck off the force. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

OK, I'm SO FUCKING TIRED of all the useless, stupid death.

You want guns?---fine. Go protect your Second Amendment rights (uuuh?---can I yell out for the Constitution that talks about "life and liberty?"), and *please* tell me when you next turn out with the militia, and I'll bring popcorn.  Do as a beloved friend of mine did (a lifetime NRA member who has handled weapons for 50+ years, FWIW, and we disagree, A LOT) : but all weapons, bullets in his house are separated as a starter, and they live in a combo-locked safe.  No questions, no deviations.

His kids have been *taught* to handle weapons (and no, I really disagree)---but they know damned well, *very clearly*, that guns are meant to KILL  Most likely a rabbit or a deer, but those bangy-things have one purpose: **to kill at a distance.**

I would SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO totally love to see some sort of liability on gun owners: "You didn't secure your weapons in a locked safe?" "You left a weapon handy, unsecured, when you KNEW someone in your house had Major Psych Issues?"  "You live in uhhhh, a Marginal Area, but you chose to clean your weapons on your front porch, and subsequently someone kicked your side door in looking for guns?" (and yes, the latter actually happened, when some Gun Nut had to demonstrate he had a Big Swingy Dick.  Fortunately, the guns were in safes, so criminals didn't get armed).

• Upvote 2
  • Love 4

• GreyhoundFan locked this topic