IGNORED

Austin bomber was a conservative Christian homeschooler

Howl

I commented to my sister about how the idiot (that's how we refer to the president) was quoted yesterday saying that the person or persons who were the bomber(s) were evil. But now that it's been discovered that it was a while, male - we will be surprised if the idiot says anything!

I'm so glad that he's been stopped.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our wonderful previous Chief of Police, Art Acevedo, decamped to bigger and better things in Houston and  Houston was lucky to get him.  We've had an interim chief since then, and I didn't know much about him.  He's done such an excellent job with this crisis that some council members are calling for him to be appointed permanent chief.  

5 hours ago, Hashtag Blessed said:

The oldest of four children, Conditt was homeschooled by his mother. BuzzFeed spoke to a 21-year-old woman named Cassia Schultz who said she “ran in the same conservative survivalist circles in high school as Conditt.” She mentioned that she and Conditt were a part of a social group for homeschooled kids called Righteous Invasion of Truth (RIOT).

"A lot of us were very into science; we would discuss chemicals and how to mix them and which ones were dangerous,” Schultz told BuzzFeed. “We were into weapons and stuff. A lot of us did role-playing, and RPG [role-playing games]; we’d have foam weapons and act out a battle.”

Uhh yeah, RIOT sounds like the kinda club where bomb-making might be encouraged as a fun science experiment. 

The acronym R.I.O.T. isn't original, for what it's worth. The Christian pop singer Carmen had an album (and a title song) by that name in 1995. He might have made a movie, too, but right now I just don't care enough to search. That social group sounds like a good place for honing abilities, though. :my_confused:

8 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

The acronym R.I.O.T. isn't original, for what it's worth. The Christian pop singer Carmen had an album (and a title song) by that name in 1995. He might have made a movie, too, but right now I just don't care enough to search. That social group sounds like a good place for honing abilities, though. :my_confused:

Oh, God. Carmen. 

I've been triggered by hideously abhorrently bad Christian pop music. 

Ugh. Yuck. He was the worst. 

24 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

Ugh. Yuck. He was the worst. 

If you look in a dictionary under "cheesy", his picture might still be there. 

No reporting up here in the northeast. 

But I’m glad he’s gone. 

As a side note: it is my pet peeve, but the word terrorist is not in fact a synonym for mass murderer, killer, hateful shithead, serial killer, hate crime perpetrator or any of those things. I happen to operate in this field, and the the crime of terrorism is defined quite clearly in legal terms. So as much as I understand the frustration with the selectively judgmental usage of the term, law enforcement and intelligence professionals will generally be very specific and precise with their choice of words, and they won’t call terrorism what doesn’t fit the defiinition. 

My suspicion is that this incident will not fulfil the legal criteria, so don’t hold your breath for an official usage of the term :) 

Well, I'm glad that the motherfucker's dead, though I would have loved to see him have his day in court. And then have him in prison forever. Also, I wish the reporting on him would treat him like they treat the 7/7 bombers or the 9/11 hijackers or the Paris attackers: he was a religious fundamentalist radical who thought he could use violence to mold the world into his sick fantasies. Don't give me any "just a kid" "real quiet and kept to himself" bullshit. 

Well, he left a message on his cell phone, almost 30 minutes worth, that seem to be the rantings of a "disturbed individual" that discuss challenges in his personal life.    I'm sure we'll hear it at some point.  It's a sad commentary that I'm glad he chose to share his pain with the rest of the world through bombings and not using an automatic weapon  to fire into a crowd.  

7 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Well, I'm glad that the motherfucker's dead, though I would have loved to see him have his day in court. And then have him in prison forever. Also, I wish the reporting on him would treat him like they treat the 7/7 bombers or the 9/11 hijackers or the Paris attackers: he was a religious fundamentalist radical who thought he could use violence to mold the world into his sick fantasies. Don't give me any "just a kid" "real quiet and kept to himself" bullshit. 

Where did you see that? Last I saw, they still did not know what his motive was.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/22/us/austin-explosions-investigation/index.html

16 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

A (not close) relative of mine was a victim. I can assure you that my family would much rather chew his ass out in court (and or in a dark alley) so his suicide is little comfort. 

Glad he's off the street, wish he wasn't a coward.

On 3/21/2018 at 11:41 AM, Howl said:

e went to Austin Stone Community Church, a conservative nondenominational mega church with numerous campuses/meeting centers around Austin.

Huh. Thought that name rang a bell. Larry Cotton, who went to bat for Andy Savage 20 years ago when Savage, as a youth pastor, sexually assaulted a 17yo girl in his care, recently resigned as a pastor at that church for his part in the cover-up.

Have been following that story on Twitter and watch blogs.

If I’m remembering right (today is a headache day), Savage just resigned as co-pastor of a mega in Memphis.

Don't mean to derail the thread; I just found the connection interesting, along with the bomber’s belief that sex offender registries should be discontinued.

No part of the recording has been released, but the police did say that the bombers statement specified that he had no remorse about the bombings and identified himself as a psychopath since childhood.  

Very old story: troubled/frustrated/angry guy shares his pain with the world. 

I keep waiting for more news of the mad bomber but it's been fairly quiet. I did hear talk that a roommate is being looked at closely now though. 

It's weird that the guy went to junior college for years and had nothing to show for it. Apparently, he had trouble keeping a job as well. 

6 minutes ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

This is pretty typical. The average time to finish a "two-year" degree is actually closer to four years.

I can understand that if you are working full time or maybe need remedial instruction like Conditt possibly needed. (I am not confident about his mom's instructional abilities). Or maybe if you are having trouble deciding what to do. Heck  I guess there a lot of reasons why it would take longer. When I wrote that comment, I was thinking of one of my spouse's distant relatives and projected a little bit. Also from a fundie religious homeschooling family, this relative  wandered around in JC limbo for about eight years and came out with nothing to show for it. Because this branch of the family has such a superior, holier than thou attitude, we found his jc washout  noteworthy. 

He was a terrorist, plain and simple. The double standard on this stuff always amazes me.   To quote Warren Zevon, he was just an excitable boy. 

Spoiler

This is still in the news here and today's top of the fold newspaper headline notes that Manley is now calling this terrorism. 

The full 25-minute recording from the perp's cell phone has not been released and probably won't be until the investigation is complete. 

On 3/22/2018 at 2:10 AM, FundieCentral said:

My suspicion is that this incident will not fulfil the legal criteria, so don’t hold your breath for an official usage of the term :) 

I stand corrected! I’m glad they were able to make that determination. 

Archived