IGNORED

Sick puppy- Parvo

nvmbr02

Our 4 month old rescue puppy tested positive for Parvo this morning. He had his last set of shot 2 weeks ago so he s fully vaccinated, bu he still managed to get it. We live on a small island and Parvo is a major problem here since there are so many strays. His vet said this is her 5th young dog in the past several weeks that was vaccinated but tested positive for Parvo, though they all had a very faint positive. The other 4 dogs recovered so we are hopeful he will to. She suspects there is either a problem with the vaccine or possibly a new strain or even something different that is causing a false positive on the Parvo test. They took some blood and she is investigating. He is home now, after receiving fluids and medication and goes back to the vet in the morning. 

Anyway, we really could use some positive thoughts right now. I have been in tears all morning. We lost a puppy to Parvo when I was a kids I don't think I have ever gotten over it. 

Oh, man, keeping you in my thoughts. My pup is struggling with health issues as well. She had her gallbladder out 10 days ago. We were at the vet for vomiting yesterday. They didn't find anything, but she threw up several times in the night. Will be calling them as soon as they open. Fingers crossed for all our little fuzz balls.

I unfortunately have a sad update as our sweet boy passed away a few hours ago. We are all completely devastated. Please keep us in your thoughts, especially my 12 year old son that had a very special bond with the pup and my 14 year old daughter who was holding him when he suddenly passed. I don't want to go into specifics at the moment but the vet thinks the Parvo diagnoses may have a been a false positive in his case because of his symptoms. She is doing a necropsy and sending some samples off to the lab and hopefully we will get to the bottom of what went so wrong. 

@Terrie I am thinking of you and your sweet girl.

Here are a few pictures of our little guy. 

25446207_10213842831652444_8448369161375131285_n.jpg

26220750_10213990323859657_5670482142473929073_o.jpg

IMG_9129.jpg

Oh, that’s so sad, sending love from Australia @nvmbr02...and giving my dog an extra cuddle.  Dogs are part of our families, and losing one is devastating. :hug:

Hoping for good news from your fur child @Terrie

Thank you everyone, I would be lying if I said I was feeing better today because honestly I think I feel worse. It took me more than 4 years to convince my husband to agree to another dog after we lost our lab. He finally agreed to this little guy and he was so, so sick when we got him. We nursed him back to health and he had the best personality super feisty and playful and extremely stubborn.  We all just miss him so much. Our 7 year old dog keeps looking around the house for him. I caught my 8 year old daughter holding his food bowls before school this morning and both my older two had tears. 

I just finished putting away all of his stuff. I have some stuff that I have thrown out and other things I put aside thinking if it comes back that he didn't have Parvo we could donate. I don't want to risk another dog getting sick though, so if he did I will probably throw most of it out, except the kennels those I just bleach a couple more times and store them for now. 

Really, the house is just so empty without him. 

Sadly, Boomer had to have repeat surgery and did not make it. Her blood pressure dropped and they couldn't get it back up. She passed Tuesday night. I feel like I've been shredded inside. 

Thanks everyone. She wasn't even six yet, so even days later I'm still stunned and devastated. Everyone do me a favor and hug your pets close today and tell them they are loved.

ETA: @WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? Um, I really, really hope that laughing response was an accident.

@Terrie, I am so very sorry about Boomer.  It is heartbreaking to lose our pets, and 6 is very young.  I've lost 2 dogs to cancer at only 7, and it was awful.  

My thoughts are with both you and @nvmbr02.

@nvmbr02, my Galgo, the Little Guy, had a really hard time when we lost his big buddy (Mr C) to sarcoma.  He had never been an only dog, was really lost, and looked for him everywhere for weeks.  Dogs grieve too.  I think I posted here about things we did to try to comfort him. 

ETA.  I'm absolutely sure @WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? just clicked the wrong icon by mistake.  It would NOT be in character for her to find the death of any pet funny.  She is a sweetheart.

3 hours ago, Terrie said:

ETA: @WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? Um, I really, really hope that laughing response was an accident.

I'm so sorry. That was 100% an accident. Thank you for letting me know so that I could fix it. I love animals, and I know the sorrow when one of my sweet ones dies. When I worked for a few years in vet clinics, I saw the joys and sadnesses of all the pet owners.

I wanted to say something nice to you and to @nvmbr02, but I've been kind of stuck for kind words lately. I wish I could just give you a big hug.

(Thank you, @Palimpsest.)

@WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? I'd mostly assumed it was an accident, but after the person at the pet cremation place casually asked me what my dog had died of, since she was so young, I've been feeling a little wary. I mean, why the hell would someone ask that?!? Especially bizarre since their reviews were 99% five stars, the remaining 1% 4 stars, all reviews of how wonderful and caring they were. I was the first to leave a poor review ever. I'm still baffled at what the hell made them think that question was a acceptable.

@Terrie, I suppose some people might find some comfort in venting about their pet's illness, but I would imagine that in that case, they would be the one to introduce the subject. I hope your review helps them make changes so that other pet owners don't get upset by thoughtless questions or comments. I'm sorry that happened to you. 

It's interesting that today I took my other dog in to get his nails trimmed and they asked "Oh, no Boomer today?" I explained she had passed and their immediate response was "Oh, no! What happened?" It didn't bother me the same way. One, because it's been a few days, and more importantly, they knew her. The fact that she was a dog they had known made the difference in the question.

• 5 months later...

Marbles has something going on.  Drinking water, not eating though, when she does, she pukes.  Vet opens Mon morning and if she is not back to her happy waggy self by then, we are heading in.

I haven't seen normal behavior in 24 hours.  No smiles, no wags.  Just sleepy, licky and pukey.

She went to the groomers on Tues - I wonder if she caught something from another dog?  Or just ate a bad something in her run?

@MarblesMom Ever since you switched your avatar she’s made me smile. And I’ve thought it’s been good you’ve had a buddy. I hope all goes well.

1 hour ago, MarblesMom said:

Marbles has something going on.  Drinking water, not eating though, when she does, she pukes.  Vet opens Mon morning and if she is not back to her happy waggy self by then, we are heading in.

I haven't seen normal behavior in 24 hours.  No smiles, no wags.  Just sleepy, licky and pukey.

Oh no, poor Marbles. Have you tried giving her some Pepcid? My boy has a really sensitive stomach and has to take Pepcid twice daily or he starts vomiting and sometimes goes anorexic. My boy is 80 pounds and he takes two 20mg tablets every 12 hours per vet direction.

The vet can also give a Cerenia injection, which is great for nausea and vomiting. One warning: the injection stings, so sometimes they cry out.

I hope Marbles is back to herself quickly.

I hope Marbles is okay.  It is a good thing that she is drinking.

Pumpkin, rice, and chicken are what I usually use when one of my furbabies are ill.

Archived