IGNORED

Stephen Hawking is dead.

mango_fandango

News is only just coming in.

The world has lost a truly brilliant mind. Unbelievable that he survived this long with such a devastating disease. Inevitable, really, yet sad.

Somehow it felt like he would manage to live forever despite his illness. :my_cry:

It's truly a loss for the whole world.

3 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

Somehow it felt that he would manage to live forever despite his illness. :my_cry:

It's truly a loss for the whole world.

That’s what my mum said when she told me! 

It’s crap isn’t it.

Wow.  I just realized that I just thought he'd always be there.   Brilliant mind.   

Damn! :( He seemed too big of a person to die. I think it's because he never seemed sick, despite his illness, just because of his genius brain.

I always liked his cautions.  Ex: Bad idea to send our info out to space and AI will be the death of the human race. 

This is a big loss for the world.  We need real geniuses.  RIP

It is a great loss for the entire world.  Waiting for Westboro to declare plans to protest at his funeral in 3...2...

I was shocked to read this last night. Like you have said, I guess I just always thought he would live forever. Science was always my favorite subject and deep down I wish I had pursued it as a career. I always looked up to him so much. This is such a loss to the world.

3 hours ago, delphinium65 said:

It is a great loss for the entire world.  Waiting for Westboro to declare plans to protest at his funeral in 3...2...

They fucking better not.

6 minutes ago, Don'tlikekoolaid said:

They fucking better not.

I absolutely agree they shouldn't, but someone well known, who didn't use his gift of a phenomenal mind to ram their version of god down everyone's throats, who stated openly that he didn't even believe in any god...he fits what seems to be their criteria for a funeral picket.  

In a similar vein, there is a cartoon of him standing, away from his empty wheelchair, in heaven. I will try to find it but it is so inappropriate.  

I cried all morning and have started crying again after reading this thread. Thank you guys. 

One of my favourite things that Hawking said was the quote shared by his children:

It would not be much of a universe if it wasn't home to the people you love.

I really like the work of Kevin Siers:

20180314_siers2.PNG

The world lost an intellectual genius, at a time when we need more people like him.

I'm not one for 'inspirational' quotes normally but love this one of his

'Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up.'

Archived