IGNORED

Counting on Season 4 - Part 5 - Volunteering or Profiteering

Buzzard

One of my aunts..she had 2 babies vaginally and one was 10lb, 8oz and the other was 9lbs, 5oz. When asked about her deliveries she always says that she found giving birth to be like having a big poop! WTF? Nobody else in the family feels that way but I guess that was her experience. 

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think baby size has more to do with genes than anything else. My mom gained 60 lbs with her first that weighed 5 lb 6 oz and much less, maybe 20, with me who weighed 6lb 1 oz at birth. My sister gained 28 lbs with her first who weighed 5lb 12oz and 13 with her second whose weight was 5lb 9 oz. I gained 18 lbs and my baby weighed 6lb 5 oz. Maybe it's only anecdotal but our babies were very close to our own birth sizes. 

30 minutes ago, CaricatureQualities said:

One of my aunts..she had 2 babies vaginally and one was 10lb, 8oz and the other was 9lbs, 5oz. When asked about her deliveries she always says that she found giving birth to be like having a big poop! WTF? Nobody else in the family feels that way but I guess that was her experience. 

Some women are blessed with REALLY EASY births.  I really hated those women, as I was NOT blessed in this way. 

1 hour ago, Suz8710 said:

Well I know at least Anna Duggar has flown on Duggar Airlines while pregnant, as I'm sure a few of the others girls had. Also I believe Joy was mentioned as saying she really didn't have much morning sickness. 

Just an interesting observation.

Maybe she can't stand Kindra?

1 minute ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

Maybe she can't stand Kindra?

Out of all the sisters, she's supposed to be friends with Joy. 

Joy was visibly pregnant at the wedding, but on the timeline of the show they haven't said she's pregnant yet. Perhaps they were anticipating timelines with this and thus Joy wasn't allowed to go because she would have been visibly pregnant in the scenes and it would have messed with the episode timelines considering that we don't "find out" until next week that she's pregnant? 

1 minute ago, lizzybee said:

Joy was visibly pregnant at the wedding, but on the timeline of the show they haven't said she's pregnant yet. Perhaps they were anticipating timelines with this and thus Joy wasn't allowed to go because she would have been visibly pregnant in the scenes and it would have messed with the episode timelines considering that we don't "find out" until next week that she's pregnant? 

That's my thought.  We know that Counting On likes to play fast with the timeline.  I suspect that some of the footage we are shown are re-shoots, because it would be exhausting to film absolutely all of their very fast wedding planning.  With pregnant women, re-shoots don't work well because they may be visibly further along than the timeline allows.

Khloe Kardashian actually struggled to go blonde (which I believe is closer to her natural hair color) because it kept interfering with re-shoots and timelines too.  E! made her dye it back, but there's no backsies with pregnancy, so the easiest thing to do is to just keep Joy to her own storyline as much as possible so that they can progress her pregnancy independent of other storylines that they might not want to show in order.  

Do the Duggar women tend to have gestational diabetes? (Do they even check?)

That would explain the huge babies.

Plus that usually means a lot of amniotic fluid and large bellies (and a larger risk of having the umbilical cord being twisted around the neck etc.)

1 hour ago, viii said:

Out of all the sisters, she's supposed to be friends with Joy. 

Well then....lol

5 hours ago, Buzzard said:

Joy and Austin's Baby part 1

A phone rings, an owl "whoos" ... Michelle explains from the front passenger's seat that they are on their way to see J'austin.  Joy is in labor.

Joy lays on her back and moans, austin dotes on her.  

At the TTH - Boob gets a text that they are en route to the hospital.

Joy is wheeled in to the OR and says "love you guys, thank you for your prayers."  She looks exhausted.

One week earlier:

Joy - I cant wait, the baby is due in a week.

Henry is unpacking in the house.  Michelle puts on an apron.  Jessa says that they are there to prepare meals to put in the freezer.

Joy - I think going through the pregnancy has been good.  No morningn sickness and not a lot of food aversions but there have been emotions and things she had to work through. Austin has been very supportive of my emotional rollercoaster

Pics of her growing tummy.

Austin - my role is a coach and to help her as much as I can.

Austin's mom tells people what to do.  They're doing mexican caserole etc.  Joy is ready to have the baby.

Joy th - as the day gets closer I'm getting uncomfortable and I've had some contractions, braxton hicks, nothing too intense.

Michelle - you hardly gained any weight

Jessa - I gained over 40 lbs with spurgeon.

Michelle - Its all baby.  Babycakes will be in the 8 range, maybe upper 8.

Jessa - Its hard to believe joy will have her first baby

Michelle - Tells the story about how Joy was born - I pushed for 2-3 hours, and she was sunny side up.  9 lbs.  Slideshow of Joy

Austin's mom - tells the story of Austin's birth - 13 hours labor, sunny side up.  c section.

Jessa - Joy was joyful as a baby and had a happy personality.  We all treated her like a live babydoll, carrying her around, feeding her.

Jill (2010) - I changed her diapers

Austin was a cuddle baby

Austin - I grew up on 110 acres.  It was every kid's dream.  It would be pretty awesome to take my children fishing and experience the outdoors like i have.

They have some ideas about names, but they're keeping it a surprise.  Jana appears and starts cooking.  I've yet to see Michelle do anything but stand there.

J'austin TH - we're not telling people's names because we dotn want their opinion.

Austin - we want to introduce them

joy - they'll learn to like it.

Michelle - SHows her food - portions like this wont upset the baby's tummy.  

Jessa - some kids can do spicier than others if you want to risk it.

Austin's mom - do you have a plan B?

Joy - we'll go to the hosptial 25-30 minutes away. I want to have a homebirth, its more comfortable, we're not too far if theres a change of plans.  Austin has been making plans for the delivery, it goes back to his "ENT" training.  There are some aspects that are harder for him but he'll be calm, I know.

They label meals and write instructions.

Michelle - they are an awesome team and we'llbe a support to pray for them.

Producer - what advice do you have for joy as she goes into labor?

Jessa - endurance - you want to give up but thats not an option.   Hang in there and dont get discouraged.

Austin - I'm feeling pretty good, trying to think of things

Joy - I'm trying to not have expectations, trying not to be scared. I know it will be painful but austin will be there to support me.

They all hug.

Part 2- Joy gives birth

At the house

Joy labors.

4am 2/23 - the phone rings.  Michelle gets into the car and they head to the house.  Michelle is wearing her pink shirt.

Jana, mom, and JOhanna are headed that way.  She's 6 cm.

At the house a doppler is heard.  Its 5:53 am.

11Am - TTH

Spurge drinks a bottle, other kids sit on the couch.  Boob tells the boys that joy is in labor and they're at J'austin's and they should pray for them.  Josie looks around and doesnt participate.  Who is the bearded kid?

prayers.thumb.jpg.a5329dbf5b81ad0878739e75aeee3203.jpg

Boob - its hard to believe babies are having babies.  Ben tells the group "its called labor for a reason" and boob prays for a natural delivery.

Joy moans "ouch."  Jill tells her that all the vitals are good.

Michelle - Joy is doing great. At this point youre tired and ready to have the baby.

Joy leans on Austin and asks for help breathing, saying it hurts. Jill stands smugly by.

TTH - 2:15 PM.

Jackson films Kendra asking about the gender.  She thinks its a boy. Jackson thinks its a girl.

Producer - are you nervous?

Kendra - I'm excited but you never know how its going to go and she can tell me the details and tips.  She giggles... 

Boob makes coffee.

Jackson continues to ask about the gender.

Boob gets a text.  They're going to the hospital. Baby's HR is OK, 20 minutes out.  

Baby is breach per the "midwife."

Boob heads to the hospital (runs to the pickup)

At the hospital, Joy is wheeled into a room.

joy.thumb.jpg.5e48a97803874a9fb21d4f857246a6d9.jpg 

A heart monitor beeps.  They're prepping her for an emergency section.

TTH 3 PM

Kendra checks for texts.  More coffee is made.

Ben - having a section is tough, not what she was hoping but we'll go from there.

Baby is born healthy at 3:39 PM

TTH - 3:45

Boob calls that the baby is born.  Spurge watches videos on bens phone.

Jennifer finds out the 'gender' first.  She gets to tell because she was joy's buddy.  They shoot off blue confetti.  Everyone celebrates.

Michelle and Boob say they're ready to meet the baby.  He was 10 pounds 3 ounces.

Terry and Roxanne - ready to see what it looks like.

Joy is wheeled in and they meet the baby in the hallway.

hallway.thumb.jpg.19683b5482a8ba89c11d030bbdee98da.jpg

I really hope they washed their hands ITS FLU SEASON!

Austin says its amazing, god is good.

Kendra shows the j'kids text pictures back at the TTH.  He's huge.

Michelle holds him and Joy tells the camera he's a "pretty good mix"

michelle.thumb.jpg.d058f4351b0e74894259460e08db11e6.jpg

He has austin's nostrils.

At the TTH - Henry pukes.

Austin holds Austin (no name yet).  Joy keeps saying he's huge and thanks people for their prayer.

Name announced in print.

Wonder if he was planning on using that ENT training during the labor and home birth?

And that boy is yuuuuge

1 hour ago, squiddysquid said:

Do the Duggar women tend to have gestational diabetes? (Do they even check?)

That would explain the huge babies.

Plus that usually means a lot of amniotic fluid and large bellies (and a larger risk of having the umbilical cord being twisted around the neck etc.)

I also think it’s just genetic. I never had GD and I had a 10 pounder. My second son was a month premature and he was over 6 pounds. My smallest was just over 4 pounds, and she was born 2 months premature and had a NICU stay. The rest were between 7-8 pounds.  All vaginal births except the last preemie. 

3 hours ago, Whatthefundie said:

Same thing happened with me. With my first I hardly showed at all and since I am petite (5’ even) the doctor said that my baby girl would be around 5 lbs. Well she surprised them as she was two ounces shy of 8 lbs. With my second, same thing happened, the nurses were shocked, as was the doctor, that baby boy was also an 8 pounder. 

I'm beginning to think they just say what pops into their heads at the moment.

My SIL and I were PG at the same time and went to the same practice. My SIL was similar to the Duggar ladies in that she was a bit taller and very thin. She was also young (22). She gained 60 lbs with her pregnancy and was all out in front, like Jill with Izzy. I am shorter, more average build and older. I gained 15lbs with my first. The same MD told us both on our last visits what he estimated the size of our babies at that time. He told her 6 lbs and me 9 lbs. I had a #7.0 baby. She had a 9 lb baby!

This was 31 years ago- I'd  hope that things have gotten better, apparently not.

Even from reading the recaps, it seems Michelle is so checked out. 

3 hours ago, CaricatureQualities said:

When asked about her deliveries she always says that she found giving birth to be like having a big poop! 

Sweet Rufus! What size is that poor woman’s poop? :pb_eek:

3 hours ago, CaricatureQualities said:

When asked about her deliveries she always says that she found giving birth to be like having a big poop!

With all the meds I'm currently on, pooping feels like giving birth these days...only my births were easier. 

I worked with a nurse who claimed that giving birth was like having a big orgasm- UM, nope.

LOL, when my friend was having her baby, she labored in a room beside a woman who kept having orgasms and she said it was the worst thing ever because she's in such pain and trying to work through it, all while hearing this woman go OH YES YES OH OH OHHHH that was a big one steve! 

13 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I worked with a nurse who claimed that giving birth was like having a big orgasm- UM, nope.

I actually heard that...and thanks Buzzard for joy's birth story!! 

6 minutes ago, viii said:

LOL, when my friend was having her baby, she labored in a room beside a woman who kept having orgasms and she said it was the worst thing ever because she's in such pain and trying to work through it, all while hearing this woman go OH YES YES OH OH OHHHH that was a big one steve! 

Wait, what? What's the context here? Why was there a woman in the next room having orgasms? :pb_eek:

1 minute ago, singsingsing said:

Wait, what? What's the context here? Why was there a woman in the next room having orgasms? :pb_eek:

Lolllll because she was laboring as well, and kept having orgasms throughout her contractions. 

Just now, viii said:

Lolllll because she was laboring as well, and kept having orgasms throughout her contractions. 

OMG seriously?! I thought that was a myth! :pb_lol:

So did I! I told my friend that she must have misheard her throughout her own mist of pain, but she swears that's what happened. Her boyfriend was so uncomfortable and didn't want to hear the other woman. 

7 hours ago, Buzzard said:

boob prays for a natural delivery.

@Buzzard, thank you as always for your delightful recap. I’m curious about the above quote. Do you recall if JB’s prayers covered a healthy delivery, or just a natural one?

Was anyone else really enjoying watching Austin getting all confessional to Joe about his and Joy's desires to "become one physically" while Joe just kept saying "uh huh...uh huh" like "dude please stop talking to me about nailing my sister." 

Also JD: "I didn't go wedding dress shopping. I didn't need one, so." 

• Jellybean locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived