IGNORED

Dillards 53: Making Assumptions and Indoctrinating the Children

Jellybean

Carry on from here:

Last post by @Bad Wolf:

106F582A-3A6E-456E-9305-C198A5167F3B.jpeg.5bd4ce18380dfb1eee54c1d4927383d3.jpeg

Cathy bought at least one Tuttle Twins book for the kids (who are thankfully not old enough for the indoctrinating messages within the books) and we are making lots of assumptions about Derick presenting these messages via PowerPoint to his bemused toddlers. 

Thanks to @mizandryfor this glorious and totally assumed image of the Dillard’s enjoying a PowerPoint presentation of these books:

Spoiler

E738435A-F0F0-41F2-9DF2-E1F27AEAEECB.jpeg.bb3a290a48e1bfd27714f5f9e01147c4.jpeg

Thanks to @Ivycoveredtower for sharing Jill’s Instagram of the book from Cathy:

Spoiler

EB6E99B9-5826-4627-9CB5-06F43B76B11F.thumb.jpeg.602015290aed0a3a27bc064c199f5056.jpeg

Thanks to @cptbaileyfor this charming image from one of the Tuttle Twins books:

Spoiler

6F72AE95-1C41-4C9E-8488-64831A52CD49.thumb.jpeg.efafb343c2df4d01a8b9d0d88fd963cb.jpeg

Derick insists he needs to write a book. @luv2laughcame up with this amazing mock-up of the book cover:

Spoiler

1C88A76A-9CCE-47E6-8D14-61F06C6B3DA3.thumb.jpeg.c0a41ba505bdb4ee7629a3c9e262087f.jpeg

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@anjulibaiwrote:  "Do these assholes ever ask themselves just why social welfare programs exist? Or do they think they were created in a vacuum just to mess with people and push them down?"

Exactly.  This history of social welfare in the US is interesting, particularly as it emerged in the response to the Great Depression and the environmental disaster of the dust bowl.   A little known factoid:  Ordinary, gawd-fearin' people actually rioted during that period demanding food.  The soup-kitchens were just a stopgap.  Although social welfare looks like a compassionate response from the state to shore up people going through hard times, it  also functions as a social control by giving disadvantaged folks just enough bread and basic support so that they don't feel they have nothing to lose and foment a revolution to overthrow the government.  

There is also correlation between social instability/unrest and the gap between rich and poor.  The wider the gap between those at the top and those at the bottom, the bigger the risk of social unrest--which often gets defined as and channeled into crime.   It's been a while since I studied this stuff, but I believe you'll see much lower crime rates in states (such as Norway or South Korea) where the gap between rich and poor is not as great as it is in the US.  We do have a social welfare response to the social unrest called crime, btw, that guarantees people some shelter with three hots and a cot.   It's called the prison system.  There are reasons why the US incarcerates a greater number of people per capita than any other country (also, disproportionately people of color).  It isn't because we've created a cushy welfare state of health and human services that invests sufficient resources in public education, a major leveling factor of the socio-economic playing field. 

@Jellybean Can we include the assumed book title?5aa686c4696ab_ASSUMPTIONSBEINGMADEFINALBOOK.thumb.jpg.6c5dc06595150bc3a9b1b122b994e0ce.jpg

Besides Cathy's famous quote in the past tense, title is based off of Answer Them Nothing: Bringing down the Empire of Warren Jeffs.  I can ALSO see that being a potential title or 2nd book sequel, Answer Them Nothing: Derick Dillard.

What I wouldn't give for a Tuttle Twins-- Sarah Maxwell's Moody Books crossover series.

Prepping with the Moodys!

The Moody Family joins a militia!

I’d be curious to know if people of color feature at all in the world of the Tuttle twins. Given that the author lives in Utah, I could see the Tuttle twins living in a whites-only Mormon prepper community.

53 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I’d be curious to know if people of color feature at all in the world of the Tuttle twins. Given that the author lives in Utah, I could see the Tuttle twins living in a whites-only Mormon prepper community.

I've been to Salt Lake City several times, and people there are extremely white, blond and shiny. I live in the Washington D.C. metro area, so the contrast was really noticeable, at least for me, and a bit creepy to really see only white people. Little bit to Stepford for me

I continue not to understand how people attempt to justify their actions even when they contradict the principles they so adamantly embrace and try to force on others.

Don't know how to quote from past thread, but I think this was from @PainfullyAware  (bold mine)

Interestingly, to me anyway, is that Jeremy's mentor at San Antonio Grace Church said he and his wife stopped at 5 because she said she was too wiped out and he agreed *because he loved her like Jesus loved the Church*. What does Jim Bob say to that? Michelle was pretty wiped out crying over the laundry in the middle of the night...

So, how 'come they are allowed to stop?  If preventing God-ordained babies is wrong, then it is wrong.  Is Jesus allowed to stop recruiting people into his faith when he gets tired because one of them has been keeping him up at night?  Or because he had really bad morning sickness with the last one?  Or because he is pissed off that he can't fit into his skinny jeans?  No--I don't think so.

56 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Of course there are. They are just offensive and racist stereotypes leeching off the system  1.jpg

1 minute ago, artdecades said:

Of course there are. They are just offensive and racist stereotypes leeching off the system  1.jpg

I can't believe the illustrator actually made the token black character wear a chicken costume while eating what appears to be a whole chicken in a children's book in 2018. It's like they took a page out of the Coon Chicken Inn:

http://www.blackpast.org/aaw/coon-chicken-inn

Note that the Coon Chicken Inn also originated in Utah, just like the Tuttle twins.

5 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I can't believe the illustrator actually made the token black character wear a chicken costume while eating what appears to be a whole chicken in a children's book in 2018. It's like they took a page out of the Coon Chicken Inn:

http://www.blackpast.org/aaw/coon-chicken-inn

Note that the Coon Chicken Inn also originated in Utah, just like the Tuttle twins.

At least there isn't a watermelon sitting next to him??? :pb_rollseyes:

Remember, this is just what they choose to publicize on their website. Who knows what else is in these books. 

Im gonna check today to see if my library owns these to read one. I doubt it though. 

10 minutes ago, artdecades said:

Remember, this is just what they choose to publicize on their website. Who knows what else is in these books. 

Im gonna check today to see if my library owns these to read one. I doubt it though. 

I had never heard of them before until one of the children's librarians requested them from me through Interlibrary Loan. Not many libraries own them. They might have wanted to look them over to add to the collection but it looks like they decided not to. 

So prepper Fred is a moron.  What are you supposing, prepper Fred?  That needy people are going to go door to door asking for food so you can get some out of your pantry for them?  That sounds terrible for EVERYONE.

Wouldn't it be better for everyone if we just had all the food at one location?  Probably!  Then you wouldn't need to be bothered, Prepper Fred, you could just drop your food off.  And you know, we'd probably have one person in charge of telling people what to buy so that the bank has a variety of food and not the world's largest collection of beans.  That makes sense, right?

But buying and dropping food off is sort of a hassle.  Maybe instead everyone in the community could just give money to the food place, and then the food place could buy what they know people need.  That's SO much easier, right Fred?  Saved you MULTIPLE trips.  

But you still have to remember to write a check to the food place, and if you don't it's really awkward if they have to come after you, right?  Lame.  What if they just KNEW everyone in the community wanted to donate, and so they just automatically took out a certain portion of your income or purchases to use to help stock the food place?  That's SO EASY. 

And that's how taxes and food banks work, Fred, you absolute moron.  Way to make things harder on yourself to prove a point.  

38 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

I continue not to understand how people attempt to justify their actions even when they contradict the principles they so adamantly embrace and try to force on others.

Don't know how to quote from past thread, but I think this was from @PainfullyAware  (bold mine)

So, how 'come they are allowed to stop?  If preventing God-ordained babies is wrong, then it is wrong.  Is Jesus allowed to stop recruiting people into his faith when he gets tired because one of them has been keeping him up at night?  Or because he had really bad morning sickness with the last one?  Or because he is pissed off that he can't fit into his skinny jeans?  No--I don't think so.

Isn't the difference thw difference between "regular" fundie/ultra conservative Christian and Quiverfull?  That's been my impression, Quiverfull aren't allowed to stop because they need as many arrows for the Lord as they can physically conceive whereas other fundies have some leeway as long as they pray about it.  I was raised Catholic though, where you were supposed be "open to life" and have a lot of kids but if it was bad for you and your family you could stop by abstaining from sex altogether or using/attempting NFP.  

UGH to those books, LOL to the posters here and their creativity.  I had to stop reading the last thread for a bit because Derick is reminding me too much of my dad.  Jill looks like a hostage to me in that picture with the chocolate mess :fubar:

@Jellybean check this potential one out LOL.  It sort of makes sense. It could be a way of compiling all of his  twitter tweets into one book a la Lori A.'s way of writing her books utilizing her blog posts. This could be a potential sequel?
5aa6a5d47abd1_AnswerthemNothingBookFINAL.jpg.a49692edf8b0f445749d3c78eda5e921.jpg

Based off of Answer Them Nothing: Bringing down the Polygamous Empire of Warren Jeffs

5aa6a5da7c466_WARRENJEFFS.JPG.9a5e726099244b81848c50d0e77d529f.JPG

Man, at this age I’d be reading stuff like the Bearenstein (spelling may be off)  bears or veggie tales

My heart breaks for those kids.

What would be the reason beyond increa$ing the number$ for the religious organization, would said religious organization promote birthing huge numbers of babies (or prohibit the use of BC)? 

Here is an article about the Tuttle Twins book "Search for Atlas" and how it is based on Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. It gives a good synopsis of the story.

Spoiler

"To be fair, this book, called "The Tuttle Twins and the Search for Atlas," actually borrows themes from her infamous novel-slash-doorstop known "Atlas Shrugged." And the book, perfect for growing libertarians everywhere, the Tuttle Twins teach us that it's okay to be selfish, so long as you can depict everyone less fortunate than yourself as lazy and entitled.

Spoiler

"Also, in this book, Atlas is no longer an allegory to a mythological figure; he's a talented circus performer who quits because he's angry that other circus performers want the same perks and benefits as he gets. Atlas feels they don't work hard enough to deserve them.

At one point in the book, Atlas skewers other performers, saying, "Those guys need to stop pretending to be victims — people who have been hurt by someone else. They are only hurt because of their own choices to be lazy and jealous of others."

On 2018-03-10 at 1:43 AM, Sky with diamonds said:

I think and hope Jeremy would know better than to behave like Derick. 

My 4yo knows better. 

On 2018-03-11 at 3:41 AM, Taylurker said:

As for Michelle being HBIC... Yes, I definitely agree. Jim Bob might be money-savvy, but Michelle is the one who wanted kid after kid and practically foamed at the mouth (and not in a good way) when her daughters hugged or held hands with their boyfriends.

Just curious. The good way? How would that work?

21 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

Woa, those books sound crazy-daisy. I find that kids aren't really into being whacked over the head with dogma disguised as twee adventure stories, so I'm dubious that Jill's two-year-old has really turned into Tuttle Fanboy #1.

I’m suddenly feeling offended no publisher wanted to publish my childrens book. What a waste of paper. 

Author Conor Boyack is also the founder of the Libertas Institute and based each of the Tuttle Twins books on libertarian classics:

The Tuttle Twins Search for Atlas = Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

The Tuttle Twins Learn About the Law, is a children’s version of Frédéric Bastiat’s The Law, written in 1850

The Tuttle Twins and the Road to Surfdom, is based on the award-winning book by Nobel laureate economist Friedrich A. Hayek

Tuttle Twins and the Miraculous Pencil = Leonard Read’s I, Pencil,

The Tuttle Twins and the Food Truck Fiasco = Henrey Hazlitt’s Economics in One Lesson

The Tuttle Twins and the Creature from Jekyll Island = The Creature from Jekyll Island: A Second Look at the Federal Reserve, by G. Edward Griffin

7 minutes ago, CaricatureQualities said:

Author Conor Boyack is also the founder of the Libertas Institute and based each of the Tuttle Twins books on libertarian classics:

The Tuttle Twins Search for Atlas = Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

The Tuttle Twins Learn About the Law, is a children’s version of Frédéric Bastiat’s The Law, written in 1850

The Tuttle Twins and the Road to Surfdom, is based on the award-winning book by Nobel laureate economist Friedrich A. Hayek

Tuttle Twins and the Miraculous Pencil = Leonard Read’s I, Pencil,

The Tuttle Twins and the Food Truck Fiasco = Henrey Hazlitt’s Economics in One Lesson

The Tuttle Twins and the Creature from Jekyll Island = The Creature from Jekyll Island: A Second Look at the Federal Reserve, by G. Edward Griffin

Yikes. So Izzy will be learning about the federal reserve before he turns 3? I think he just liked the pictures and the fact that someone was reading to him.

@CaricatureQualities posted from the Twattle Twins website: "Those guys need to stop pretending to be victims — people who have been hurt by someone else. They are only hurt because of their own choices to be lazy and jealous of others."

Derick, listen to your own sources of political propaganda.  You  have no sense of irony, do you?  G-d damn your sniveling, victim mentality  that whines you were done wrong by TLC.  Double G-d damn a sanctimonious martyr complex that justifies your masochistic wallowing in hypocritical twitterhead provocations, aka, your own rhetorical choices. 

You want to please the Lord?  Try this:  Go and sell all  you have and give it to the poor.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived