IGNORED

Joy & Austin 21: Still Talking About Baby Gideon

Jellybean

5 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I just want to second everyone who's saying that 30 minutes can be several lifetimes, as @AtlanticTug put it so well, when it comes to labour. I've never had a baby, but one of my good friends had an unintended homebirth because labour came on so fast there was just no time for them to get to the hospital. There wasn't even time for the paramedics to get there - her husband had to catch the baby! Thankfully everything was fine, but I know she wouldn't have chosen to do it that way.

That scenario was literally my secret wish for labor!  I'd read or hear about it and think, well, that sounds nice.  Super fast and all is well sounded lovely to me!  No such luck.  I'm no risk taker so, all was well anyway.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I just want to second everyone who's saying that 30 minutes can be several lifetimes, as @AtlanticTug put it so well, when it comes to labour. I've never had a baby, but one of my good friends had an unintended homebirth because labour came on so fast there was just no time for them to get to the hospital. There wasn't even time for the paramedics to get there - her husband had to catch the baby! Thankfully everything was fine, but I know she wouldn't have chosen to do it that way.

Yep.   My cousin's wife did the same thing.  Right there on the living room floor.   Her third child, but still not something you want to do.  

14 minutes ago, Beermeet said:

That scenario was literally my secret wish for labor!  I'd read or hear about it and think, well, that sounds nice.  Super fast and all is well sounded lovely to me!  No such luck.  I'm no risk taker so, all was well anyway.

Honestly, as somebody who has very fast labors - it is not fun. That is a vey big misconception that people say to me all the time. “Oh, you’re lucky because it is so fast for you!” But with my son’s car birth he came out so quickly that I tore very, very badly. Plus, it isn’t really good for the baby to come out super fast and it can cause complications for them as well. With all of my fast labors it is very hard work because the contractions come on top of each other with little to no breaks in between. You basically immediately go into hard labor with little buildup. It isn’t ideal. I mean we were all healthy and well afterwards but it isn’t fun.

I’m sorry if it seems like I’m jumping on you for this but I can get defensive about it because people have said that to me sooo many times and it’s just not correct.

3 minutes ago, Seculardaisy said:

Honestly, as somebody who has very fast labors - it is not fun. That is a vey big misconception that people say to me all the time. “Oh, you’re lucky because it is so fast for you!” But with my son’s car birth he came out so quickly that I tore very, very badly. Plus, it isn’t really good for the baby to come out super fast and it can cause complications for them as well. With all of my fast labors it is very hard work because the contractions come on top of each other with little to no breaks in between. You basically immediately go into hard labor with little buildup. It isn’t ideal.

Plus, it is really hard to catch a breath between contractions.  I went into shock alittle post delivery.

I just tell my girls, it is lucky I am so loud in labour, everyone came running into the room in time to catch the baby.

@Seculardaisy. I know now that that scenario is not all sunshine and roses.  That's why it was a secret with. A delusional wish that baby pops out and poof all is well.  What first time mom doesn't secretly wish it would be like that?  Or any mom.  It's scary. Glad you and baby were ok ultimately 

5 minutes ago, Beermeet said:

@Seculardaisy. I know now that that scenario is not all sunshine and roses.  That's why it was a secret with. A delusional wish that baby pops out and poof all is well.  What first time mom doesn't secretly wish it would be like that?  Or any mom.  It's scary. Glad you and baby were ok ultimately 

Oh yeah that’s fair. Everybody has a wish of how labor could be.

Like I said, I tend to get defensive about this because people totally idealize fast labors as if they’re somehow easier. 

31 minutes ago, Seculardaisy said:

Oh yeah that’s fair. Everybody has a wish of how labor could be.

Like I said, I tend to get defensive about this because people totally idealize fast labors as if they’re somehow easier. 

With my first, I really thought I may have the baby in the car on the way to hospital.   My water broke at home, had a ton of meconium in it.  Labor pain got real intense with zero of those breaks I was promised.  Get to hospital and I was only 3 cm!!  I was floored! Gah!  Felt like baby was coming out now.  Baby was in distress and emergency C-section it was.  Believe me, I'm picking up what your putting down!  #2 was scheduled section and I still secretly wanted that almost non existent scenario!  Birth delusions, I guess.

On 3/15/2018 at 7:24 PM, VelociRapture said:

Yep. My baby was exactly 5 pounds at birth and she was much tinier compared to my 8.5 pound nephew. Preemie clothes fit her well lengthwise, but they were a bit baggy on her. 

I do want to point out that many babies actually lose weight right after birth because they can’t just mooch off of the umbilical cord anymore. My daughter dropped under 5 pounds and had to prove she could gain and keep on weight prior to being released. She was back to exactly 5 pounds when she was discharged a week later, but it’s possible Addie was ready to be released and she just hadn’t regained all the weight she had lost at that point. 

My twins were 5lbs1oz and 5lbs6oz and preemie clothes were too small for them because they were long babies. I had brought nothing but preemie clothes with me to the hospital, hubby had to run home and grab some newborn clothes. I told him to get the newborn clothes that were hung up in their closet, he comes back to the hospital with 12 months clothes. Apparently, "the ones hung up in the closet that say newborn" translates to "in the box marked "12 months" that is taped shut and on the top shelf of their closet"

4 minutes ago, Chevreuil said:

My twins were 5lbs1oz and 5lbs6oz and preemie clothes were too small for them because they were long babies. I had brought nothing but preemie clothes with me to the hospital, hubby had to run home and grab some newborn clothes. I told him to get the newborn clothes that were hung up in their closet, he comes back to the hospital with 12 months clothes. Apparently, "the ones hung up in the closet that say newborn" translates to "in the box marked "12 months" that is taped shut and on the top shelf of their closet"

Oh God... this sounds like my husband exactly.  He can't follow specific instructions or vague instructions so I just do  the things to save myself a headache. 

8 hours ago, singsingsing said:

happened to my sister 2 years ago. The EMTs didn't make it in time, and they were literally a mile away, lol. Her second baby, and she's a nurse, so she knew what to expect/when to leave, it just went from zero to baby that fast.

Now as for me, if I ever have another child, I'd lean towards attempting a homebirth, if possible. My hospital birth sucked, and I'd like to avoid that again. But I don't know that another baby is in the cards for me, so it probably doesn't matter, lol

• Jellybean locked this topic
  • Jellybean unlocked this topic
  • Jellybean locked this topic

Archived