IGNORED

RIP David Ogden Stiers

47of74

RIP Major Winchester

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/david-ogden-stiers-dead-dies-mash-1202716860/

David Ogden Stiers, best known for his role as the arrogant surgeon Major Charles Emerson Winchester III on “MASH,” died Saturday. He was 75.

His agent, Mitchell K. Stubbs, tweeted that he died of bladder cancer at his home in Newport, Ore.

For his work on “MASH,” Stiers was twice Emmy nominated for outstanding supporting actor in a comedy or variety or music series, in 1981 and 1982, and he earned a third Emmy nomination for his performance in NBC miniseries “The First Olympics: Athens 1896” as William Milligan Sloane, the founder of the U.S. Olympic Committee.

The actor, with his educated, resonant intonations — though he did not share Major Winchester’s Boston Brahmin accent — was much in demand for narration and voiceover work, and for efforts as the narrator and as of Disney’s enormous hit animated film “Beauty and the Beast,” he shared a Grammy win for best recording for children and another nomination for album of the year.

Huge MASH fan.

OT, I almost ran over Alan Alda one afternoon....  he was jaywalking.  

He survived the incident.

2 hours ago, Mela99 said:

Oh no... :(

We're huge MASH fans. I can't believe how many of them are gone.

Yes more of them have crossed over than are still with us now.  Just Alan, Gary, Loretta, and Mike are still with us.  

10 hours ago, 47of74 said:

Yes more of them have crossed over than are still with us now.  Just Alan, Gary, Loretta, and Mike are still with us.  

Jamie Farr is still kickin'.

Jamie Farr is still kickin'.

Thanks. Knew I forgot someone. Yep Klinger is still here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2018 at 11:49 PM, MarblesMom said:

Huge MASH fan.

OT, I almost ran over Alan Alda one afternoon....  he was jaywalking.  

He survived the incident.

This sounds like a good story.

I remember the MASH exhibit at the Smithsonian back in.... 88 or whatever it was. I was pretty little but I distinctly remember the fake wounds and everything they had set up in the operating room. I actually have a pair of 4077 pajamas that I saved for Tiny Human, and my Ma finally handed over the long awaited IV-drip official MASH vodka and dispenser this year. I don't think I would ever drink it but I love having it. 

I saw the Frazier episode last night where he played an old colleague of Esther Crane and Roz noticed how similar he was in  personality to Frazier and Niles. He wasn’t their father;  Esther was the only person he felt comfortable coming out to.

.One of the glories of the animated Beauty and the Beast was his portrayal of Cogsworth  and Jerry Orbach as Lumeire.  That will always be the best version

Archived