IGNORED

Pris & David 7: Wall to Wall Wallers

Jellybean

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Indoctrinated" feels a bit harsh a word to describe kids singing "Jesus Loves Me." 

I grew up singing that (and am a big fan of Jesus, too--so there's that. Fan of fundamentalist religions, not so much)

Davia's dress looks handmade--does Prissy sew?

I mean indoctrinated given their fundamentalist beliefs. There’s no way a 4 and 3 year old would want to go up and sing just the two of them without a group of kids in front of many. The way they’ve rote memorized scripture is also strange given their young ages.

9 hours ago, HereticHick said:

"Indoctrinated" feels a bit harsh a word to describe kids singing "Jesus Loves Me." 

I grew up singing that (and am a big fan of Jesus, too--so there's that. Fan of fundamentalist religions, not so much)

Davia's dress looks handmade--does Prissy sew?

While I totally agree with you that "Jesus loves me" is a very popular song that a lot of kids learn to sing from an early age, I have to also somewhat agree with @luv2laugh: now Davia and Philipp are the cute kiddos singing on stage. The next we'll know they are handing out tracks to other kids at the playground and hold signs that say "abortion is murder". And these actions won't be their own choice, yet they'll be totally comfortable with it because of their parents indoctrinating them from an early age. 

28 minutes ago, ophelia said:

While I totally agree with you that "Jesus loves me" is a very popular song that a lot of kids learn to sing from an early age, I have to also somewhat agree with @luv2laugh: now Davia and Philipp are the cute kiddos singing on stage. The next we'll know they are handing out tracks to other kids at the playground and hold signs that say "abortion is murder". And these actions won't be their own choice, yet they'll be totally comfortable with it because of their parents indoctrinating them from an early age. 

Yeah, I'm torn about it. I was raised Jewish and went to a Jewish preschool run by my synagogue. You best believe I had a head full of religious songs when I was four. I also went to weekend/Wednesday Hebrew School and Jewish summer camp from age seven to age fourteen, where I learned even more (and the women dancing with their timbrels, followed Miriam as she sang her song - WOOO!). If you asked me to sing a non-Disney song I knew when I was a very little kid, I'd probably cue up something from the Debbie Friedman catalog. But I don't think I was indoctrinated. I was never taught to hate anyone or that I had to hold any particular point of view (though the people around me weren't the best at giving me a balanced take on what was going on in Israel, but that's a whole other kettle of fish...). I don't really mind kids learning religious songs as long as they are exposed to other things and aren't being taught to hate, and are allowed to learn different points of view. The Waller kids are not going to be afforded those opportunities. 

Is it memorized for real - or is it parrotted?  And I ask that as a former Sunday School Teacher.  I had kids who could parrot a verse back to me, sometimes at really young ages.  But to me, for it to be truly memorized means they understand what they are saying.  And I could get kids to recite a verse but to ask them what it meant?  They often, even at say 3rd/4th grade didn't always grasp the meaning.  Ditto for looking a verse up and reading it versus being able to answer the question I started asking "what does that mean?"  

What I see here is a basic Sunday School song and a parrotted verse.  And on the verse recitation, Davia is clearing following her brother's recitation.  

I sang my first solo at church at 4. My family was very musical, I went with my parents to Choi practice from infancy... it was normal and natural for me to want to participate. My parents encouraged independent thought. This to me isn’t indoctrination although I’m sure other things they do are.

Paul is 5, Davia is 3, and Phillip is 1. I think we can expect an announcement in the next couple months. 

It's absolutely crazy to think that Paul is 5! Guess he'll be starting SODRT soon. I wonder how long Priscilla will be able to teach him, and if David will step in or make other plans as he gets older. 

I wonder who would win the perfect model Christian Fundamentalist Wife and mother award:  Pris or Anna Marie Maxwell?   I just can’t see either of them not living this life.

2 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

It's absolutely crazy to think that Paul is 5! Guess he'll be starting SODRT soon. I wonder how long Priscilla will be able to teach him, and if David will step in or make other plans as he gets older. 

I believe that the Staddons moved nearby, and Kendalyn wanted to go to med school before the Lord told her father to tell her no.

Am hoping, for the sake of the children, that homeschool will be a collaborative effort among several families.

2 hours ago, Dandruff said:

Am hoping, for the sake of the children, that homeschool will be a collaborative effort among several families.

I think that Pris might be good with the younger children and simpler stuff. I agree though that collaboration would be best. 

21 hours ago, Dandruff said:

I believe that the Staddons moved nearby, and Kendalyn wanted to go to med school before the Lord told her father to tell her no.

Spinster Esther Staddon also seems to hang out there a lot. I also hope that they at least do homeschooling field trips together! [and maybe music lessons?]

I believe there are several pecan farms within 20-25 miles of Big Sandy.  The perfect Waller family homeschool field trip.

2 hours ago, Dandruff said:

@HereticHickI have no doubt there will be a gleaning curriculum added to the Waller standard.

And so many songs to add to the hymn repertoire--

http://www.hymntime.com/tch/htm/w/h/t/whtgtoda.htm

WHERE HAST THOU GLEANED TODAY?

https://hymnary.org/text/o_come_with_the_army_of_the_lord_today

THE GLEANING TIME

https://hymnary.org/text/be_not_satisfied_with_gleaning

BE NOT SATISFIED WITH GLEANING

On 3/1/2018 at 5:00 PM, Carm_88 said:

I've stopped trying to figure out what David Waller is doing. I assume that most things are David's idea and Pris goes along with them! 

He's too busy being fabulous!

Lydia Waller looks a lot like a friend of mine. It's kind of uncanny. This is a weird question, but do the Wallers have a Dutch background?

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 2:03 PM, Dandruff said:

@HereticHickI have no doubt there will be a gleaning curriculum added to the Waller standard.

He'd be nuts not to add that!

On 3/19/2018 at 3:33 PM, Dandruff said:

Of course there will. However, there will be a side course on what to do if the farmer doesn't like your gleaning! :P 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived