IGNORED

Do you want Counting On to be cancelled...

Edhelfin

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I think Counting On should be cancelled. I find it hard to believe that the show is making that much money, especially when so many sponsors have bailed (unless they’ve quietly returned). The Duggar second generation doesn’t do anything other than court, marry, and reproduce, rinse and repeat. Other than the courting part, this process is done by twenty somethings all over the globe every single day. It’s not worth televising. That the Duggars do think this constitutes a “ministry” goes to show what impoverished lives they lead, not to mention what an inflated view they have of themselves.

I think that the only way any of the kids will start questioning their beliefs is if the TLC gravy train finally details and they’re forced to make their own money. As it stands, they probably think they’re getting material rewards for being spiritually blessed, since Gothardism is really just a really legalistic version of Prosperity Gospel (do these simple rules and you’ll be happy and rich, no exceptions). I’ve often said that the Duggar lifestyle is unsustainable, since JB is essentially supporting all of the married kids and their families, except for Joy and Jinger. Maybe he thinks the show will still be going when Josie is courting, which is not a sound fiscal plan. Being consigned to anononymity and the harsh realities of what a minimal education and a million kids leads to will be the only way to wake the second generation out of their complacent slumber. 

Yes. I don't watch the show anyway so it wouldn't change anything for me, and I think fewer Duggar stories in the media would be a good thing. Even if the show is cancelled for good, though, it will be a long time before they get no media coverage whatsoever.

Yes, of course. The less of a platform they have the better. Unfortunately if they do get cancelled I’m sure they’ll just jump to a different network, or at the very least try YouTube or something. They’ll always have an audience no matter what.

They’re kind of infamous now and I think it’s too late for them to fade into total obscurity, but that might not be the worst thing. Since Josh’s scandal their image has been tarnished. It’s pretty easy to find criticism of them on the internet, even if you’re not looking for it. Some people who might’ve considered going the fundamentalist route are going to be turned off it by reading up on them.

Yes, mainly for the minor children now involved. Plus, their views are caustic and for the most part unsustainable. Try having eleventy kids without any education or jobs outside the compound. There would be no media platform, money, homes, cars, International trips, iPhones, new clothes, planes or perhaps even enough food-

I do think the show should be cancelled.  I don't get the channel it's on anymore but it's dreadfully boring  -  I can't believe it's still on at all -  but as @singsingsing said, they would probably go to another channel.

Unfortunately though, cancelling Counting On won't stop fundamentalism and all of the issues that arise around that.

Also adding I would be much more interested in watching a show around people leaving fundamentalism.

I think it is very unwise to spread the message of "birth control is evil so have as many kids as you can". The longer I think about it, the crazier it sounds. You don't want teenagers to copy that behaviour.

Honestly: I am for cancelling Teen Mom 2 as well. It has nothing to do with preventing teen pregnancies anymore. It is all about having babies, wealth, fame and, in some cases, not having jobs and child abuse (Jenelle).

Yes. Along with the Bates show and any other reality television show that uses children. Children have no place on reality television. 

I think it would be the best thing in the long run for the Bates and the Duggar children if their shows get canceled and everyone forgets them. IMO the money and fame from these shows have encouraged the kids to stay in the lifestyle.

Free Jinger will be fine. Anyone who thinks FJ will fail without the Duggars needs to check out the other sections. We have so many crazy fundies to talk about. HAY-MAN Pink Weenie guy, Jill Rod. with her baby cages, the World's Most Inept Missionary, John Shrader, and many more. 

@EdhelfinI briefly answered in the other thread without realizing you had started a new one here. What I wrote there is how I feel - that I want the show cancelled, but I also worry about the minor children's welfare because the cameras may be protecting them to an extent. 

That said, if I had to choose I’d absolutely choose to see the show cancelled. I feel for those children very much because none of them chose to be born into this lifestyle and I feel for the adult offspring to a certain extent as well because it can be difficult to break the cycle when that’s all you’ve ever really known - but at the same time, the Duggars and Bateses could do (and have done) very real damage with their national platforms. I guess I’d have to side with doing the greatest good for the greatest number of people and just hope that those kids will be ok - and if not, that someone will do the right thing and help them. 

(And no, I don’t watch the shows. I did recaps of the Bates show for a bit, but I have a toddler and I honestly don’t want her exposed to that crap. I look at the social media accounts for both families, but I don’t follow any of them or like anything they post.)

i only want it to be cancelled if Buzzard and co reenact Jessa and Ben's wedding on their anniversary via lego for me everywhere for the rest of our lives. 

Regardless of what happens to the tv show, i have a hard time believing the family would have financial woes - at least for a while. They have tons of property they rent both privately and to public businesses, car business, pilots who can make a penny on flying other people around, and don't they have some type of cell phone tower on one property? Plus, they are super frugal. 

As long as their businesses are "booming" in Arkansas, i don't think they are going to suffer financially. They are very much into helping each other out and being part of each other's business. I'd be surprised if at least Jana didn't start remodeling or decorating homes. She and Austin could just about go into another business venture.

While their religious views are toxic, unfortunately, their following doesn't care. As long as they have a social media presence (and who is to take that away from them, TBH? I've seen much more outwardly hateful content from other pages that get away with it) they aren't going to "die down". The tv shows are a waste from a content standpoint. We already know what happens months before it actually airs & the courting, marriage, babies thing is just going to last so much longer. I agree to whoever said it above that that particular formula for a TV show just isn't going to last for too long. But that's not going to stop their followers from following all their every little move.

I don't like Jim Bob at all & I think a lot of what he says & how he chose to be part of this cult and raise his family in it is very toxic. But at the same time, he's a business man who has created a well oiled empire in Arkansas. 

The show is as boring as watching my aunt's vacation slides circa 1985.  I just dont see how this can continue much longer.

The show itself isnt a "ministry" anymore.  They dont harp their BS homeskooling, skirt wearing, anti-tv shit that they used to.  Now they're just young, healthy (unemployed), Q list celebrities birthing babeez.  Whats the point?  Atleast the people on "My 600 pound life" achieve something by the end of the show.  The Duggars learn what sparkling water is.

Well...yes I want it to be canceled...BUT I wonder if there isn’t a positive side of it still being on. I think being on TV prevented some of the abuse that could have happened in that family. I think being in the mainstream has softened the next generation. 

8 minutes ago, Shiny said:

Well...yes I want it to be canceled...BUT I wonder if there isn’t a positive side of it still being on. I think being on TV prevented some of the abuse that could have happened in that family. I think being in the mainstream has softened the next generation. 

I could see in The long run the show curbing some of the fundy crazy. I'm not sure how that balances out with people trying g to emulate them but over all I do think the show being on is better for the kids.  At least there will be a better quality of life for them. Even if they're selling their private moments at least they aren't hiding in the bathroom to eat. And somewhere I remember reading that theu pretty much just ate rice and canned fruit and vegetables most days pre show which is not good for growing little's.

Yes, I would love to see the show canceled. I don’t watch the show now, so there wouldn’t be anything to miss. FJ will still have many years left to discuss the fallout from IBLP and other new religious movements, so we don’t need TLC shows filled with mind numbing wedding prep to stay active. 

I think without the show, there would be more dissonance between the kidults and Boobchelle. The show keeps these kidults locked into maintaining the Gothard ideal/brand image because it brings financial security to their family, but being free of that stronghold, I think some might leave Gothardism, and there would be a ripple effect. 

Eventually, one would go rogue and we would get a People magazine article titled, “How I Faced My Family and Turned My Back on the IBLP and ATI: The Brave True Story,” which would be vague and a total letdown, but still.

I don’t think there is any benefit to the lost girls or lost boys to continue to be on TV. I don’t think any children should be on reality tv, ever, including and especially the Duggars.

The media presence around the Duggars is already dying down and IBLP is on the decline as well. CO ratings are lower than 19KAC ratings. I’m sure TLC is squeezing the last juice out of this lemon, but as soon as something more promising comes along, they’ll give the Duggars an eviction notice. I don’t think TLC is loyal to the Duggars in the least. They’re just buying time until they find a suitable replacement. 

I agree with Kachuu. They won't suffer financially for a while. JB has always appeared to be very savy when it comes to investing. The majority of the properties he owns were abandoned or foreclosed and you can definitely catch a steal in the area they live in. I won't be surprised if there is a house for EVERY single offspring. Seriously don't agree with their lifestyle but I "do" believe he has taken provisions should anything happen to him.  With that being said, I'm no longer interested in watching anymore episodes unless something different surfaces. Same old stuff, same old way ALL the time. Courting, no kissing, engagement, wedding, 1st kiss, then sex, AND we are expecting in  a few weeks or a months later. Oh wait, we will add some international trip. Then we might have to suffer thru watching intense PDA from Michelle and JB. Well I guess I shouldn't hate on them for that. It's a positive thing to still have the hots for each other.

53 minutes ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

FJ will still have many years left to discuss the fallout from IBLP and other new religious movements, so we don’t need TLC. I think some might leave Gothardism, and there would be a ripple effect. 

Eventually, one would go rogue and we would get a People magazine article titled, “How I Faced My Family and Turned My Back on the IBLP and ATI: The Brave True Story,” which would be vague and a total letdown, but still.

Speaking of, is there now a thread to talk about the latest letdown re: the lawsuit being voluntarily dropped? I'd love to know if any of those ladies are on FJ, but that's none of my business. But if any are reading, I pray for you.

I agree with it being cancelled because they offer nothing new in terms of their lives. I'm just nervous that another network will take them over.

4 hours ago, Daisy0322 said:

I could see in The long run the show curbing some of the fundy crazy. I'm not sure how that balances out with people trying g to emulate them but over all I do think the show being on is better for the kids.  At least there will be a better quality of life for them. Even if they're selling their private moments at least they aren't hiding in the bathroom to eat. And somewhere I remember reading that theu pretty much just ate rice and canned fruit and vegetables most days pre show which is not good for growing little's.

I wonder though, if each adult/couple had to do it all on their own, like most adults and people with a growing family, maybe some (if not ALL) of the reproducing couples would have fewer little ones- 2 birds, 1 stone.

I want whatsoever is best for the kids. I don't really know just what that would be.

I think that it should be cancelled, I honestly thought that it had run it's life in the 19 Kids and Counting Days. The reality is that TLC doesn't seem to be letting it go and if the did, they could move to UP. If they moved to UP, there might be a lot more Bates/Duggar stuff going on. I'm not sure I like that. TLC is doing a good job of stunting them, they don't need to be likable again.

Yes. The Duggars should have stopped being on TV after the Josh scandals. 

I thought X+1 Kids and Counting was FAR more interesting than Counting On.  JB and Michelle at least chose this lifestyle from relatively normal upbringings.  There WAS an element of interest there: why would someone choose to live this way?  How do they make it work?  What's different and what's similar to the average person?  It ran it's course quickly, but the specials and the first season were actually pretty interesting to me.  I mean, it wasn't MIND BLOWING TELEVISION, but compared to what it was running against, sure.   Josh Duggar and I are turning 30 soon, but as a 20 year old about to go study in China, it was fascinating to me to watch someone MY AGE sewing her own bridesmaid dresses as she prepared to get married during the original wedding saga.  Everyone has moments of "What if?", and it can be interesting to watch programs that answer the question "What would my life be like if I made radically different choices?".  The early years had that.  

But Counting On has none of that.  Its only upgrade is really a conventionally more attractive main cast.  There is no "How do they make it work?", because it's TLC and sponsorships.  There's no "What if?" because unless you too were born into a reality family, there's NO WAY your life would be anything close to Counting On.  

So now, it's just a show about privileged, Xtra Christian reality stars as they struggle to stay as bland as humanly possible.  Thanks, but if I want to watch reality stars pretend to have normal problems, I'll tune into Vanderpump Rules and watch DumbTom #1 and DumbTom #2 pretend to be entrepreneurs while Sheana meticulously enforces Lake House Rules to make sure "hobos and vagrants don't invade Rob's Jacuzzi".    Real life? No. But at least it's entertaining.  

I stated this on the other thread but I’m neutral about the show and I don’t think the Duggars are terribly influential. I think the movement it self is moving in a more mainstream way and while wearing pants is not a sign of completely new beliefs, I think its progress nonetheless. Having Whitney Bates work outside the home is progress, as it’s in direct contradiction to Gothard teaching. Having Jana Duggar single and Jill Duggar post about a book even mentiontioning Christopher Hitchens (gross misrepresentation though the book was) it’s progress in my opinion (this would never fly in, say, Maxhell).

Im actually more concerned with IBLP though. I was under the impression that the membership was down but I’m not sure. Does anyone know the statistics on that?

Archived