IGNORED

Alabama Sheriffs Break the Bank By Starving Prisoners

Cleopatra7

Yet another example of why the prison industrial complex needs to be dismantled:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thedailybeast.com/alabama-sheriffs-filled-their-wallets-by-starving-prisoners

”Alabama law lets sheriffs keep whatever doesn’t get spent on food from their jail food funds. Now 49 of those sheriffs are refusing to disclose how much of that money made it to detainees’ plates, and how much landed in their own pockets.”

”While sheriffs’ wallets bulge, Alabama inmates starve, civil rights activists say.

“We as an organization receive hundreds of letters a month from people in jails in Alabama,” Littman said. “Sometimes there are concerns about people not having enough to eat, being hungry, and losing weight. Sometimes it’s food that’s not nutritious, particularly for people with various metabolic issues like diabetes. Sometimes it’s frankly just disgusting, like food that’s served still-frozen, or food with insect larvae or animal droppings.”

From the linked article

“In most counties, money comes in on a per-inmate, per-day basis,” Aaron Littman, a staff attorney at the SCHR told The Daily Beast. In most cases, Alabama gives sheriffs $1.75 per day to feed each detainee, although that rate might vary for people detained on behalf of the U.S. Marshals Service or Immigrations and Customs Enforcement.

If sheriffs don’t spend all the meal money, Alabama lets them pocket it for personal use. For some sheriffs, that means hundreds of thousands in bonus cash. In Alabama’s Etowah County, the sheriff took $250,000 in “compensation” from “food provisions” in 2016, according to documents reviewed by the SCHR.

WTF? How can you not spend 1.75$ per person per day? I mean 1.75 doesn't sound even remotely enough to me for a decent meal nevermind doing with less!

WTF? What kind of incentive structure is "if you don't spend all this money on the inmates, you get to take the rest home?" This country truly never ceases to amaze me. Horrifying.

5 hours ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

From the linked article

WTF? How can you not spend 1.75$ per person per day? I mean 1.75 don't sound even remotely enough to me for a decet meal nevermind doing with less!

They can always fall back on “Well, maybe they shouldn’t have broken the law.”

1 hour ago, JillyO said:

WTF? What kind of incentive structure is "if you don't spend all this money on the inmates, you get to take the rest home?" This country truly never ceases to amaze me. Horrifying.

Wait, there was absolutely no oversight, tracking, or security on how the budget - funded by taxpayer dollars - was spent?  How is it even possible in this day and age?  

Again, W.T.F ?!! We are supposed to be rehabilitating these people. Disgusting.

On 3/1/2018 at 12:44 AM, Cleopatra7 said:

Yet another example of why the prison industrial complex needs to be dismantled:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thedailybeast.com/alabama-sheriffs-filled-their-wallets-by-starving-prisoners

”Alabama law lets sheriffs keep whatever doesn’t get spent on food from their jail food funds. Now 49 of those sheriffs are refusing to disclose how much of that money made it to detainees’ plates, and how much landed in their own pockets.”

”While sheriffs’ wallets bulge, Alabama inmates starve, civil rights activists say.

“We as an organization receive hundreds of letters a month from people in jails in Alabama,” Littman said. “Sometimes there are concerns about people not having enough to eat, being hungry, and losing weight. Sometimes it’s food that’s not nutritious, particularly for people with various metabolic issues like diabetes. Sometimes it’s frankly just disgusting, like food that’s served still-frozen, or food with insect larvae or animal droppings.”

I seriously have no words. Is this how we are making America "great' again?

On 3/1/2018 at 10:57 AM, acheronbeach said:

Wait, there was absolutely no oversight, tracking, or security on how the budget - funded by taxpayer dollars - was spent?  How is it even possible in this day and age?  

This sounds like a Charles Dickens novel. Is this  19th century London, or 21st century America?

Yet another reason why when Fuck Face or his Branch Trumpvidians spout off about shithole countries I say look in the fucking mirror before you label any other country on God's Green Earth a shithole country.

Archived