IGNORED

"Little Man Lost"--DeOrr Kunz

WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?

A local (ish) news channel is doing a 5 parts series about the disappearance of DeOrr Kunz, who went missing on a family camping trip in Leadore, Idaho in July of 2015, when he was only 2 years old.

Here's part 1: Gone without a trace: What happened to DeOrr Kunz?

Part 2: DeOrr's family turns on each other when questioned

Part 3: Bizarre behavior by a family friend puts the blame on Isaac

Part 4: Suspects named in disappearance of DeOrr Kunz

(I'll post part 5 when it's available.) 

I honestly don't know a great deal about this case, but I watched part 2 and 3, and it was interesting to see the interview footage from the interviews with the private detective that the parents hired. The private detective who later publicly accused the parents of lying and called them the prime suspects. 

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
fixing messed up links
  • Upvote 3
  • Sad 2
  • Thank You 2

I am familiar with this case. It is complex and tragic. The PI is interesting... It seems obvious on the face of it, but once I started reading I wasn't 100% sure.

• Upvote 4

Okay, apparently it's a 6 part story.

Part 5: Why private investigators quit the DeOrr Kunz Jr. Case

Part 6: DeOrr's mother talks about accusations against her

And I still haven't watched all the parts yet. (Note to self: In future, consider reading or watching all the material before posting it )

• Thank You 1

• 1 month later...

This story fascinates me. I'm not sure what to think about any of it. Was Deorr even at the campsite? I find the lies about the trip into town to be very interesting. I wish this case, like so many others, would be solved. It reminds me of the Kyron Horman case, Haleigh Cummings, Baby Lisa and others. So sad.

• Upvote 3

On 4/17/2018 at 10:38 AM, Eternalbluepearl said:

This story fascinates me. I'm not sure what to think about any of it. Was Deorr even at the campsite? I find the lies about the trip into town to be very interesting. I wish this case, like so many others, would be solved. It reminds me of the Kyron Horman case, Haleigh Cummings, Baby Lisa and others. So sad.

I know the Kyron Horman case, but the other two are not anything I've heard of.  Kyron has never been found and I think that his step-mother is the main suspect although nothing has ever been developed as far as proof.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Briefly said:

I know the Kyron Horman case, but the other two are not anything I've heard of.  Kyron has never been found and I think that his step-mother is the main suspect although nothing has ever been developed as far as proof.

Haleigh was 5 when she went missing from her home in 2009. Her father's live-in girlfriend and her younger brother were in the same bedroom at the time (the father was working 2nd shift). She has never been found and has been declared dead. Both the father and girlfriend are serving time for drug offenses.

Lisa was 10 months old when she disappeared from her home in 2011. Cadaver dogs alerted in the home, near her mother's bed. The parents have not been charged and she has never been found.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thank You 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm watching the People Magazine Investigates episode program on the case on Discovery ID right now.  The parents really should have worked out their stories beforehand is they didn't want to be suspects. 

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

I think that in this case, as in others, Occam's razor is the guide. The most obvious solution is usually correct.

• Upvote 2

• 1 year later...

A pair of trained cadaver dogs has alerted to an area in, or near, the Timber Creek campground where DeOrr's family was camping, almost 4 years ago.

https://www.ktvb.com/mobile/article/news/investigator-cadaver-dogs-alert-on-human-remains-at-campground-where-deorr-kunz-jr-disappeared/277-b9dedc16-1e4d-4a63-b401-20b212b2f770

The county sheriff's office previously announced that the campground will be closed this weekend.

The Lemhi County Sheriff Steve Penner says this Friday through the weekend the Timber Creek Campground will be closed. The campground is maintained by the U.S. Forest Service and will be closed at the sheriff's request.

Penner confirmed that the closure is connected to a search in the Deorr case but declined to say exactly what officials are looking for. The search is part of the ongoing investigation.

As @Demonfan said back in June last year, the most obvious solution is usually correct. But if DeOrr's remains can be found, I imagine it will help the police in their investigation, and possibly bring a little comfort to any grieving family members. 

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
missing word
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 4

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

@WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?,  do you know if any human remains were found and if they've been identified at DeOrr's?

If anything has been found, it hasn't been made public yet. The only recent news stories I found were about the case generally, because yesterday was the 4 year anniversary of the 2 year old's disappearance. 

https://www.ktvb.com/mobile/article/news/4-years-since-deorr-kunz-jr-disappearance-what-you-should-know/277-63472419-3005-46f9-9511-92ead8fa6e22

I believe the campground was reopened to the public after the search, but I might have got that wrong. I hope they found something helpful to investigators.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

A new set of interviews with DeOrr's parents, and his great-grandfather's friend who was on the camping trip. (Apparently the great-grandfather died last month.)

https://www.ktvb.com/mobile/article/news/investigations/ktvb-exclusive-the-last-people-to-see-deorr-kunz-jr-alive-talk-about-what-happened-to-the-missing-toddler/277-52262e4f-c39c-44b9-9c4c-518a0353a62b

I didn't see any new information, but it was interesting to hear from the parents.

• Thank You 3