IGNORED

WV Teachers Strike

dairyfreelife

Good for them! It also says a LOT about the dedication of the teachers and SNAP benefits that teachers are buying/helping to supply food for kids who receive free/reduced school lunches. It’s incredibly fucked up when teachers, who are paid too little and buy their own supplies, have to feed their students. My cousin’s boyfriend (in MD) has bought snacks for students who go hungry even when free breakfast and lunch.

Teachers are the front line in so many ways when it comes to the health and welfare of our children. They are professionals who should get paid appropriately. 

WV is my home state too and a lot of my friends are teachers. One of the WV politicians (I can't remember who right now, I'll look it up later) said that if they can afford to pay for food for students while on strike, they obviously don't need any more money. What the actual fuck is wrong with these people that they fight so hard to keep people at starvation wages?

6 hours ago, CrazyLurkerLady said:

WV is my home state too and a lot of my friends are teachers. One of the WV politicians (I can't remember who right now, I'll look it up later) said that if they can afford to pay for food for students while on strike, they obviously don't need any more money. What the actual fuck is wrong with these people that they fight so hard to keep people at starvation wages?

Legislature keeps playing games with the decision, so strike will be on day 8 tomorrow. 

My stepmother was a teacher from her early 20's until she retired.  It's amazing how much stuff the teachers are expected to provide for their classrooms.  She used to hit up garage sales in the summer for clothes and coats for the students whose parents couldn't provide for them.  Extra classroom supplies?  A lot of that was provided for by the teachers.  Classroom parties?  If the parents didn't provide, the teachers would go out and get cupcakes and juice, etc.  One year my stepmother sent out notices to all of the parents telling them that she was done buying all the goodies for classroom parties.  The parents would have to step up.  

Valentines Day came and not one parent had sent anything.  One kids father stopped by to pick up his kid and asked why there were no cupcakes or candy.  Step mom told him that she'd sent out notices.  He said "My wife and I work.  Shopping for a kids party is too much."  She told him "I work, too.  But do you know how much of my salary goes into making up for the classroom supplies that parents don't send?  Or how many times I've paid for a student to be able to attend a field trip that had an entrance fee?  We have parties for Halloween, Christmas, and Valentines Day.  I've bought all the supplies for those parties for the last three years."  

Archived